1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mileage for first oil change?

Old 12-10-2015, 01:08 PM
Dave_Yuhas
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mileage for first oil change?

The owner's manual for my 2016 F-250 does not recommend an oil change before the regular 7,500 mile interval. Is there any point to changing the oil at 1K miles or at any mileage less than 7,500?

TIA.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:17 PM
Diamnd1
Laughing Gas
Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
I question some of the new NEW Vehicle oil changes myself. Just bought my wife a turbo beetle and recommended oil changes, including the first one, is 10k miles. I called 2 different service dept's and both will NOT change the oil until then. Said if they did, it would possibly create a conflict with the warranty if any engine damage were to occur.
I am old school when oil should be changed in the first 500-1000 mile mark. This new schtuff makes me nervous.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:31 PM
34SF
Mountain Pass
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave_Yuhas
The owner's manual for my 2016 F-250 does not recommend an oil change before the regular 7,500 mile interval. Is there any point to changing the oil at 1K miles or at any mileage less than 7,500?

TIA.
I'm subscribing since I can't find the answer to this either. I live near Reno NV and the selling dealer said "Because of the dust here, you're automatically considered severe duty." Checked with two other dealers and they both said wait until the light comes on at 7500. I was also told my truck has a synthetic blend and if the interval is really 7500, I'd like full synthetic. If it's dead dinosaurs, than 5k seems more economical as every 3k took me through 100k on three Toyotas without issue. And...the 1k change to get rid of the break in stuff was unnecessary on my Toyotas but very necessary on my Jeep which has a teaspoon of aluminum shavings in the first oil change. Just want to protect my purchase but there doesn't seem to be a real clear one.

And don't yank my man card for saying "teaspoon."

Old 12-13-2015, 10:59 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Brand new vehicle I always do the first change around 500 miles. Doesn't hurt to cut the filter apart and check the media for any metal, sand and etc.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:23 AM
Leon82
Mountain Pass
I think some manufacturers put additives in the oil to help with engine break in.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:56 AM
KellyfromVA
Senior User
When the display on your dash tells you to.

Old 12-14-2015, 06:15 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave_Yuhas
Is there any point to changing the oil at 1K miles or at any mileage less than 7,500?
To answer your question, no. There is no point at all in changing it before the truck tells you to change it.

While some people might feel better about changing it early for that first oil change, it's nothing more than a carry-over habit from older vehicles. Engines today are different, and so are the motor oils.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:19 AM
Good listener
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New engines are very tight, built with very accurate tolerances. This minimizes blow by and oil contamination. This is why your engine will not fully come alive until 3000 miles or more. They are also built in very clean environments, reducing the amount of debris. Early oil changes are really not necessary unless your driving conditions warrant it. The manual recommends changing oil and filter at 5000 miles if you are towing or have a car top carrier.

Old 12-14-2015, 07:28 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 664 Likes on 435 Posts
I got out of changing out the factory oil early years ago. The reason our trucks have oil filters is to screen out larger contaminants that everyone is worried about. There is a lot of engineering involved with the maintenance recommendations, and the people telling you to go 7,500 miles are the ones backing it up with their bank account if it fails. Ford has an incentive to be conservative with maintenance recommendations, as they're the ones eating the cost of a new engine if yours fails under warranty.

Do what makes you feel better. I'll probably be changing the factory oil in my new truck around 5,000 miles and going to 7,500 after that just to make myself feel better. Don't think my engine will care though.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:18 AM
ATP Pilot
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
what motor are we talking about ?

Just an FYI..my wife's new Acura says in the manual not to change it early because of factory additives to help the engine break-in properly. From what I read, Ford doesn't have that in the 6.2 motor, it comes from the factory with the standard semi-blend.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:24 AM
Robert AR
Freshman User
I didn't have a question until the last post, "standard semi-blend" in my day standard was dinosaur oil, and I know today there is full or partial synthetic blend, I'm not trying to be coy, but I'm interested to know, because of lack of knowledge, what is standard semi-blend?

Old 12-14-2015, 10:53 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
It's almost all "dinosaur" oil, the only variance is how they process it. The overwhelming majority of your "full synthetic" oils are still refined crude of some flavor. There is no minimum content requirement to be labelled as a synthetic blend. Meaning it could have 1% synthetic, 99% "dino" for all anyone knows.

Coming from crude or otherwise, modern synthetic oils are better than they've ever been. The biggest benefits are that they last longer and do a better job with cold starts. If you don't operate in really cold weather or extend your drain interval the engine won't really care which you use.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:11 AM
don123
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Semi-synthetic

Semi-synthetic motor oil is a mineral oil blend containing 30 percent or less synthetic oil.

Synthetic Oil

Synthetic motor oil is created entirely from chemical compounds that do not include crude oil. Synthetic motor oil often has superior performance when compared to crude oil.

Crude Oil

Crude oil, or petroleum, is the base of both semi-synthetic and other mineral oils. Crude oil is combined with synthetic oil to make a semi-synthetic oil.

Cost

Semi-synthetic motor oil is lower in price than pure synthetic oil, but is more expensive than crude oil.

Advantages

Semi-synthetic oil offers some of the same advantages as pure synthetic oil. These include improved oil viscosity at hot and cool temperatures, less loss of product due to evaporation, and extending the life of the car motor.

Origins

The first semi-synthetic motor oil was launched in 1966 by the MOTUL corporation. This was followed the the introduction of fully synthetic motor oil in 1971.

Read more : What Is Semi-Synthetic Motor Oil? | eHow

Old 12-14-2015, 11:19 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
eHow isn't a great source. Just like Wikipedia, anyone can submit articles. Lots of great and well-referenced stuff here:

Motor Oil 101 - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy

Old 12-14-2015, 11:41 AM
don123
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
eHow isn't a great source. Just like Wikipedia, anyone can submit articles. Lots of great and well-referenced stuff here:

Motor Oil 101 - Bob is the Oil Guy - Bob is the Oil Guy
Thanks..Some good reading on here.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mileage for first oil change?