1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Trouble shifting into 3rd

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 05:46 PM
Alex from GA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You definitely have a clutch problem, either the linkage or the clutch itself. If you let the engine catch up with the transmission you can shift without the clutch but it needs to be fixed.

Old 12-13-2015, 10:01 PM
70FE250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haven't had time and weather cooperating enough to test out the truck. It's being parked till spring as I don't have quite enough faith in it this winter to drive it with the Bias Ply still on it and I'd like to do dry road testing to make sure everything is up to par before I really test it. Will try to give updates but it may be a while. As of now I'm fairly certain my lockout spring is screwed up and I'm accidentally going into R instead of 3rd. But thatnks everyone for the suggestions!

Old 12-13-2015, 11:23 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 70FE250
Haven't had time and weather cooperating enough to test out the truck. It's being parked till spring as I don't have quite enough faith in it this winter to drive it with the Bias Ply still on it and I'd like to do dry road testing to make sure everything is up to par before I really test it. Will try to give updates but it may be a while. As of now I'm fairly certain my lockout spring is screwed up and I'm accidentally going into R instead of 3rd. But thatnks everyone for the suggestions!
OMG still has tires that our Bias~~~ Ply Lordly lord man, I would not be out on any roads with any fast traffic.

But winter will make them bumpy until they warn up a little.

May be it's saver being cold then hot as, I know tires are at there weakest in hot weather.

Hell we've lived through the days of old skool Bias Ply Tires with tubes in them from almost day one of the vehicles for sure may be before early teens + having the tube tires. So got for a save drive then fewer vehicles on the road. But old Bias Ply Tires of today must be just old weather cracked from the ozone & the sun.
Orijch

Old 12-15-2015, 08:20 AM
70FE250
Senior User
Originally Posted by orich
OMG still has tires that our Bias~~~ Ply Lordly lord man, I would not be out on any roads with any fast traffic.

But winter will make them bumpy until they warn up a little.

May be it's saver being cold then hot as, I know tires are at there weakest in hot weather.

Hell we've lived through the days of old skool Bias Ply Tires with tubes in them from almost day one of the vehicles for sure may be before early teens + having the tube tires. So got for a save drive then fewer vehicles on the road. But old Bias Ply Tires of today must be just old weather cracked from the ozone & the sun.
Orijch
The truck got stuck in the grass at my house with an inch of snow on the ground LOL but that's just a bad mixture of old tires, open diff and no weight in the bed. Only weight that was in it was my new temporary steel rims

Old 12-15-2015, 08:31 AM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by willowbilly3
The physics of smooth shifting is to slide it in when the rpms match the speed. That is basically what "double clutching" does. When I drive those old trucks, I rarely use the clutch after I'm moving.

I agree on synchro but there is another issue I've had happen. The rivets in the clutch arm pivot (inside the bell housing) will stretch out and eventually break, leaving you with no pedal, or a clutch that won't release. First symptom is harder shifting.
I hardly use the clutch when moving too. Doesn't really help much to use it.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:29 PM
70FE250
Senior User
UPDATE: 3rd is no longer grinding. Took er for a spin around the neighborhood again and I found out I was trying to shift into Reverse. I wasn't thinking about it when I decided to shift and went over too far. But it's still disappointing how slow I have to be going to shift back into 2nd. Talk about no engine braking

Old 12-15-2015, 10:30 PM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Any down shifting you must give the engine some RPMs to get it back into gear just like the old motorcycles were. Oh these trucks our old like old skool!
Orich