1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Can I disable the "TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR FAULT" message?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 11:23 AM
effingpot
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can I disable the "TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR FAULT" message?

So I brought my 2004 Expedition EB to the UK and over the last year or so had a lot of fun n games with the TPMS snapping off and after 4 "replacement" units and wasted money I have given up getting it working again. (The original TPMS are no more and the replacements either don't work or need an expensive tool that nobody in the UK has - either way me and 2 garages can't get it working).

So to pass our MOT test I need the error message to stop. Every time I switch on I get "TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR FAULT" on the message panel.

Can I disable that? It's legal here to do so but I can't find it documented anywhere.
thanks
Mike

Old 12-10-2015, 11:31 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The only way to disable that is to get the system working. It's not too difficult, I just did it on mine, a '05 one. The only trick is that you buy the correct sensors, the OEM ones are black, Motorcraft TPMS32. You program them with a strong magnet, I used a magnet out of a dead hard drive, others have used magnets from speakers.

Here's a set of used ones, may be hit and miss if they all work or not...:

4 Ford Lincoln Mercury TPMS Sensor Tire Pressure Monitor System Wheel Computer | eBay

A set of chinese ones:

4 Pcstire Pressure Sensor TPMS for Ford Explorer Lincoln Mercury 4L2T 1A150 Ba | eBay

OEM set:

New Set of 4 Motorcraft TPMS 32 Tire Pressure Sensor TPMS 4L2Z 1A150 BB | eBay

Old 12-10-2015, 11:36 AM
effingpot
Freshman User
Hi Skauber - I think you helped me on this before ;-) I have a pile of these in my kitchen ;-)
Do you think if I do all four I will have more luck? I was trying to replace just one but now a second has broken. My local garage won't get involved any more as they already fitted the 4 i tried previously and they don't work. The magnet works ok on the originals but nothing happens with the ones I ordered since.
ta
Mike

Old 12-10-2015, 11:45 AM
Skauber
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, well. Depends on which you ordered. Ford made some changes on them through the years, specifically on how to program them.

Check this video:

This can also be helpful:

Old 12-29-2015, 11:50 AM
effingpot
Freshman User
Problem solved :-)

Skauber - just wanted to close this out with the news that I just fitted the used TPMSs (ending BA) that you pointed me at and it works!!! Yay! After a year or so it's done. The other parts I bought that are supposed to be equivalent didn't work -- I just re-tested them with the guys at the tyre shop and got nada.
But it's a happy day - and I got two spares in case it happens again.
Thanks for the help.

now I just need to work out how to replace the grille that a pheasant just flew though!!!

Cheers
Mike