2015 + Expedition & Navigator 2015 + Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Adding Second Camera to 2016 Expedition SYNC 3 Navigation Display

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 11:03 AM
Kent Smith
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding Second Camera to 2016 Expedition SYNC 3 Navigation Display

I have been searching this and a few other forums to identify a solution for my soon to be delivered 2016 Expedition with the SYNC 3 Navigation system.

I tow a travel trailer and I have a camera on the back of the trailer. In my current 07 Expedition without navigation I added an aftermarket LCD display to monitor both the rear vehicle camera and trailer camera. The trailer camera displays all the time while going down the road so I can see better behind me when changing lanes.

I found the Coastal Electronics Lock Pick system, but they say their Expedition support ends with the 2012 with the HDD navigation system.

I am not familiar with which F-Series vehicles use the same Expedition navigation system since a lot of sites often don't list the Expedition as a supported vehicle, but do list the F-Series vehicles.

I don't know enough about the SYNC 3 video input options to know if I can simply plug in my camera RCA feed, or if there is some simple adapter now that no longer requires the OEM cable insertion like the Lock Pick system (which does exactly what I want).

I would hate to mount a second display just for the trailer camera.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:38 PM
Beachums
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey Kent
It would be a nice thing to be able to integrate all of that. I do know that the Sync 3 is as completely redone as it can be. If I am not mistaken Microsoft is not even involved with Sync 3.

Here's where I think it can go both ways as far as OEM support for what you want. Ford is touting exactly what you are asking for with the upcoming Super Duty. They are even saying that they are going to offer a trailer camera that plugs right into a factory wiring harness via a new trailer plug standard they are developing.

Not that they are going to offer a retroactive upgrade for the half ton line of trucks, but I am wondering if the code for the new sync system is just a few software upgrades away from allowing an input to be displayed this way.

As far as the aftermarket is concerned, I am not sure if Ford is allowing any aftermarket companies to look at this code voluntarily. The recent buzz about the Chrysler vehicles having a vulnerability that can be exploited leads me to assume that it is unlikely. But I don't know for sure either way. If my assumption is correct, it may be awhile before an aftermarket solution is apparent as these companies probably have to start over from the ground up.

My only hope for all of this is Ford is spending more time than ever monitoring sites like this to get feedback of what their customers are asking for. I REALLY HOPE this doesn't turn into another almost a two decade long widespread complaint that no one can find an oem solution (can you say "proper towing mirror"?).

Old 12-11-2015, 12:37 PM
Kent Smith
New User
Thanks for the feedback.

It is always disappointing to get 95% of what you need out of a brand new vehicle and then find the final 5% is a monumental hack to achieve.

Do you have a rear view trailer camera on your rig?

Yes. Towing mirrors indeed.

Old 12-15-2015, 02:43 PM
Beachums
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Kent Smith
Thanks for the feedback.

It is always disappointing to get 95% of what you need out of a brand new vehicle and then find the final 5% is a monumental hack to achieve.

Do you have a rear view trailer camera on your rig?

Yes. Towing mirrors indeed.
No I don't.
I always had it in m mind to spec out my own Expedition. As it turned out this year, we needed a vehicle rather quick and we were at about 10k off the MSRP by taking the one they had on the lot.
So my plan was foiled because I didn't plan better.
As the factory navigation is nice for the first few years, it leaves something to be desired when compared to the world of Google Maps. Even now, there a several discrepancies with my '15 with regards to maps. As the maps age, it becomes worse. Paying that ridiculous price to have them updated is out of the question
I was always partial to the idea of Pioneer's AppRadio.

It has several inputs for cameras. Not only that, you can use the radio's display as a dedicated rear view camera while still having the regular radio functions.
As it has the availability to piggyback your smartphone, you can always
refer to Google Maps for navigation.
Recently Google has rolled out feature where you can download the entire map-set you need for a particular route. With this, you don't even need continuous cell coverage along your route.

Not that it does us any good now, that was always my plan.

So I am in your same boat..... waiting to hear a good solution to this.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:26 AM
Kent Smith
New User
Thanks.

For my 2016, I ended up with the in-dash navigation as part of the packages, but I use Waze on my cell phone mounted on the dash. That gives me the ability to have the larger display be my camera, if I can just find a solution.

I've thought about creating a dead weight sand bag (or something) to place on the center top dash and suspend a separate display for the rear view. In my 2007 I created something similar where I had no display in that used vehicle purchase. It works pretty well for my needs, but I assumed with it built in I could get a cleaner look.

I was thinking of the rear view mirror displays that clip on to the current mirror. That would be good since the mirror is useless while towing. My problem is my 50 YO vision is no good for reading without glasses. I have sunglasses with bifocals for reading anything below the dash line, but above it the glasses are clear for my good distance vision. Therefore the mirror is above the line and too close to see clearly. I would need some trifocals with reading magnification above and below the center clear area. My father had regular glasses like that for working on cars when he was working under them and needed to look up and down to see things close.

I guess we keep looking...I'll report back here if/when I decide my final solution. I might even do one of the two I mentioned above as a temp solution waiting for someone to build an integrated solution.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:14 PM
rlrogers
New User
I know this is late but I am having the same problem with a 2016 Ford Fiesta ST. I knew the next model down from mine had a backup camera and just expected mine would too. I have a souped up small car which Ford focused on Turbo, Brakes and Suspension. I was able to get the Sync 3 Nav, sunroof etc.
The big hurdle here is the complete hardware and software change that Ford made for My Sync. The new Sync 3 is made by the company that makes Blackberry and although it's a great system as of March 2016 there still isn't an upgrade out there to add the rear camera. I took my car to a national aftermarket company in Atlanta who assured me that he could solve this problem... after I paid a $299 deposit. Then he initially did nothing. I persisted and after 2 attempts he told me he would have to call me. That was a couple of weeks ago so I finally contested the amount on my credit card. It's been a month and 1/2.

Today I decided to lift the casing around my Sync 3 and found that he had left all of the after market material in there. Summing that up, I have a camera sticking out of the car that doesn't work and I also have a lot of extra hardware that is useless for a Sync 3. Sooner or later the correct kit will come and luckily I drive 2 cars.
My other one is a 2015 Mustang Eco Convertible with all of the bells and whistles "including" the backup camera. I always want to walk away from a situation thinking "okay, what have I learned here." I have learned that I should never assume the option is there. Check it out!