1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Transportation Bill Unlocks "Old Model" Production!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 09:42 AM
Connecticut Calvin
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Transportation Bill Unlocks "Old Model" Production!

If smaller niche companies are able to reproduce the Cobra, GT40, Corvette etc. on a limited scale but now have the freedom to produce 25 year old designs openly (mostly) perhaps we'll see a reproduction F-series...Could you imagine the possibilities?!

A "new" F1 would be slick! This is HUGE!

...Hopefully they figure out this emissions thing. I'm not a fan of a GM powered Ford personally.

Transportation bill unlocks new American car industry | Fox News

Old 12-09-2015, 06:48 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 618 Likes on 328 Posts
A "new" 48-50, new 51-52, new 53-55, or a new 56 with that nice curved windshield?
Let the debate begin.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:03 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Pat Ford (Dennis Carpenter rep) told me a couple of years ago at the Western Nats that there was a 56 F100 in the works to follow up the 30 Ford coupe program. Still haven't seen anything on it however...

Old 12-09-2015, 09:41 PM
Oldb
Tuned
Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
The only snag is if it is complete with engine it will have to meet emissions. And I think at this point only GM is selling a emissions correct crate engine/transmission/cats/computer. But maybe ford will follow suit. A non complete where the purchaser installs the engine I believe would still allow you to install a non emissions engine. Except for CA. At least that is the way the article I read described it.

B

Old 12-09-2015, 10:42 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Im sure I will regret posting on this subject butt oh well. I think a lot of the charm of an actual vintage car or truck vs. a full rpop comes from the fact that with a true vintage vehicle you know and can appreciate the fact that the car/truck has survived the years and it's rarity is because out of the thousands and thousands of a particular model style, somehow this one did indeed somehow survive, and was brought back to life by with many hours of loving care and hard work. I love the fact that brand new models of Mustangs, Chargers, Camaros, etc are back for sale by the big three, and smaller company's are offering complete body's for some of the old favorites, but for me they will never hold the same charisma as a true original. Plus I have to realize if a small niche co. produces 250 or what ever number of Cobras, they would all be owned by people a lot richer than I am. I hope people understand what Im trying to say Im not against new versions of the old favorites, but just that somehow a brand new 2017 F1, just wont have the charm as a 1948 F1.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:03 PM
pweng1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Wheres the pride in just buying

Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Im sure I will regret posting on this subject butt oh well. I think a lot of the charm of an actual vintage car or truck vs. a full rpop comes from the fact that with a true vintage vehicle you know and can appreciate the fact that the car/truck has survived the years and it's rarity is because out of the thousands and thousands of a particular model style, somehow this one did indeed somehow survive, and was brought back to life by with many hours of loving care and hard work. I love the fact that brand new models of Mustangs, Chargers, Camaros, etc are back for sale by the big three, and smaller company's are offering complete body's for some of the old favorites, but for me they will never hold the same charisma as a true original. Plus I have to realize if a small niche co. produces 250 or what ever number of Cobras, they would all be owned by people a lot richer than I am. I hope people understand what Im trying to say Im not against new versions of the old favorites, but just that somehow a brand new 2017 F1, just wont have the charm as a 1948 F1.
I agree 100%. We all have tinkered and fabricated on these trucks rather than just paid for a finished product. Its the bringing them back alive that gives you the pride in your ride. Most of us know we wont get back what we put into it but its ours done our way. If it was built by the big 3 now it would be half plastic.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:36 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldb
The only snag is if it is complete with engine it will have to meet emissions. And I think at this point only GM is selling a emissions correct crate engine/transmission/cats/computer. But maybe ford will follow suit. A non complete where the purchaser installs the engine I believe would still allow you to install a non emissions engine. Except for CA. At least that is the way the article I read described it.

B
NOPE, they can't sell them with the engines and the buyer MUST use an EPA compliant engine...so that GM is the only choice...so far.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:45 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by harleymsn
NOPE, they can't sell them with the engines and the buyer MUST use an EPA compliant engine...so that GM is the only choice...so far.
The whole point of the new law is that they CAN sell up to 325 complete, road-ready cars a year, as long as they have emission-compliant drivetrains.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:50 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
The whole point of the new law is that they CAN sell up to 325 complete, road-ready cars a year, as long as they have emission-compliant drivetrains.
Yes I see that I misread the article.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:35 AM
48 Steel
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Ditto: I've been asked by people at Car Shows, "why do you have 46 Steel as your license plate?" Answer: It's original steel not Tupperware or a reproduction.