1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Camper-van Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 11:07 AM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Most folks sleep curled up like babies. We sleep side to side. Never been an issue with room. I am an avid back packer and am used to sleeping in cramped tents. On a recent trip, my 2 boys and I slept in a tent that was 72 inches wide. Our van is huge compared to small tents.

I will post some photos of our current configuration. It's simple. Nothing fancy.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:13 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
Originally Posted by coolfeet
I wish I had seen this thread last year. I have an extended E350 van that I converted into a stealth camper. I installed 2 folding beds and it sleeps 4.

We can sleep anywhere for free. My biggest challenge is my wife does not like to use a porta potty. We have to leave early in the morning for real toilets.
Thanks for sharing!
That's really good as you can easily access all your storage.
I understand about not using the porta potty. My daughter refused to use ours when we were parked 100 miles from anywhere out in NM.

I just came across this cool bed that would work great in a van with a turtle top.. I could also see many possibilities such as a sink, stove, and work space on the bottom with a few little mods..

here is another that might work in a van.

You might even be able to fit 2 sets of fold up Murphy type bunk beds in a van with custom size mattresses ?

Old 11-27-2016, 09:45 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good ideas but I really think that stuff would work better in a trailer
We had some similar equipment in our old car hauler
For me , I use my van all the time and would not want to haul that stuff around or figure out a quick install/uninstall system
I'd rather toss an EZ-up and a folding table w/chairs in the back with some racing banners and bungee cords to make some walls.
I used a futon for a bed in the van so I could kneel upright rather than crawl around.
Load time was under 10 minutes and set up time was maybe 15

If you rarely drive the vehicle I guess it would not matter

edit: I just saw that I already posted in this thread a couple of time....

Old 12-27-2016, 10:00 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Because of the windows in my van, I am having trouble finding a good design that wont block the windows permanently. My van does not have windows at the very back so I have been thinking about putting the kitchen ar the rear and the bed towards the front. The top of the mattress would fit nicely at the bottom of the windows and still give storage under it.

Here is something interesting I came across that might allow the bed to go in the back. It looks like the kitchen drops down in the cabinet and the cabinet becomes part of the bed frame when the bed out. When the bed is folded up, it could be used as a bench to sit and cook on. The propane tank could possibly be mounted in a box that supports the opposite side of the bed or under the bench that is.. That would leave the whole middle of the van space for other plans.
Name:  kitchen14.jpg
Views: 24637
Size:  33.9 KB

This one is very compact but yet still gives you work space. You don't have to have a actual sink, only a pan that can be removed and dumped if you don't want to take up space with a grey water tank.
Name:  kitchen3.jpg
Views: 24499
Size:  26.6 KB

This one is interesting as it is hinged and allows you to cook outside if you want. it could also have a pan for a sink dropped into the side fold up counter area..
The previous kitchen could also be hinged out also.
Name:  kitchen13.jpg
Views: 24439
Size:  25.3 KB

Old 02-24-2017, 10:46 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
I was thinking about ways to make a portable kitchen and thought about chuck boxes. There are many different designs on the web that could easily be adapted for use in a van. You would need to custom build it for your needs but here are a couple of ideas. I like the way the blue one leaves the stove on top but it needs some counter space. Instead of the front folding down, perhaps one could combine ideas from the two boxes. They are very portable and compact yet could be easily fastened into place. When not in use they would take up little space. If you used the fold up side idea, you could make a cutout for a dish pan to sit in for a sink.
Name:  chuchbox1.jpg
Views: 24729
Size:  54.5 KB

Name:  chuckbox2.jpg
Views: 25554
Size:  404.5 KB

And this video,,, I just posted it because I was amazed at how much this guy packed into a little van!

Old 02-25-2017, 02:05 AM
wiskeyVI
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pretty cool, but......a tent would be easier o think.

Old 02-25-2017, 03:19 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
or an EZ-Up awning with some banners.

Old 02-25-2017, 10:14 PM
jrdnhsnbrg
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't plan to turn my van in to a camper, but I will be doing some interior renovations. The plan is to completely gut the interior front to back - headliner, floor, chairs, plastic interior pieces, all of it but the dash. Patch up all holes in the floorboards (which there are a few that I've found so far), put down a layer of spray foam on everything exterior that isn't glass, and build a floor with 3/4" green treated plywood with indoor/outdoor carpet. PVC piping under the floorboard to allow me to run wiring in the future as needed. New "headliner" made of 1/4" plywood and fabric cover. Build new wall coverings, complete with cup holders, speakers, and power outlets. Between the wheel wells will be a battery bank and subwoofer enclosure. Behind that will be general storage - tools, spare, whatever. Behind the front seats will be a futon. LEDs everywhere.

Nothing done yet, as I just bought a home, and it needs some work.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:07 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
FYI: spray foam leads to rust issues

Old 02-26-2017, 08:15 AM
jimbomitch
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would be concerned about the off gassing of spray foam, especially in close quarters like a van.

Old 03-12-2017, 01:22 PM
2Chihuahuas
New User
Here are some great resources for ideas:I belong to the Vandwellers forum on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/vandwellers/ And Pinterest has tons of boards with Camper van ideas: just search for "camper vans", or anything like that (Tip: Don't search "vans", or you'll get shoes, LOL).

Last edited by 2Chihuahuas; 03-12-2017 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Correction-typos
Old 05-23-2017, 11:27 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Here is a a great idea to think about for a sink and shower with hot water.. I would think about using a metal ,military type water can with the large mouth and just adding hot water heated from the stove unless you just wanted the convenience of flipping a switch. With the metal can you could mount the electric element a bit more permanent. Ebay sells a 60 watt 12 volt element that screws into a 1" pipe fitting. 60 watts is 5 amps at 12 volts. There are bigger elements but then you need more power.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:29 AM
wiskeyVI
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HEY...I subscribe to his site!!!!

Old 05-31-2017, 06:42 PM
boxdin
Junior User
Yes, and roller skates too.

Originally Posted by annaleigh
Are you required to wear a seat belt if the vehicle is moving?
Yes, and roller skates too.

Old 05-31-2017, 06:56 PM
boxdin
Junior User
Did I see that right, almost 800,000 miles? On a diesel?

Quick Reply: Camper-van Ideas