Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

2010 F150Harley needs new engine?

Old 12-08-2015, 01:22 PM
pa22
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 F150Harley needs new engine?

Hi there my first post and its a bad news one. Don't know where else to turn to about this though.
I had my 2010 Ford F150 (5.4L V8) in to the Ford dealer for an oil change. After driving home and then to work I noticed a loud tapping noise and engine got sluggish about a block before reaching work. After parking at work I checked under the hood and it was soaked with oil, oil filter area soaked. The dipstick showed "NO OIL", large oil puddle under truck and trail down the block. The oil plug was secure and dry. Truck towed to dealer and currently there. Truck only has 28,000 Kms all maintenance done by dealer, I bought the truck new in 2010 from them, never an oil leak.
I would like to know what checks they should be doing to the engine to assure me that there was no damage done to the engine. (I am assuming at this point there was a problem with the oil filter or installation of the filter).
Sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this but I am just devastated by this.

Old 12-08-2015, 01:43 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
How far did you get from the dealership? Let them add the oil and get it running, then listen for noises. If the engine is still knocking, tapping, etc.. it's on them, have them replace it.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:17 PM
pdqracer
Trailering
Sonds like a bad oil filter gasket or improper installation.

Old 12-08-2015, 05:50 PM
pa22
New User
Originally Posted by sammy77
How far did you get from the dealership? Let them add the oil and get it running, then listen for noises. If the engine is still knocking, tapping, etc.. it's on them, have them replace it.
It is around 16 kms from dealer to my work. They called me today and said they added oil, test drove it, not making any sounds so it is good to go. Told them I would like to see the manager tomorrow, but I am not sure what other tests etc to ask them to do. They said it was a defective oil filter.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:25 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
I'm sure the "defective" filter was due to a double gasket most likely. As far as a noise goes, drive the truck for a few days and listen for any engine noises, engine cold, and warm. If you hear anything take it back.

Old 12-09-2015, 05:01 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
At least they admitted to a defective oil filter. Sooo, if problems do arise in the near future...................

Old 12-09-2015, 05:07 AM
Ken Wolkens
Junior User
Originally Posted by pa22
They said it was a defective oil filter.
Make sure that statement is in writing on the repair order. Without it you are out of luck in the future.

Like Sammy said, probability a double gasket. It happens when the old gasket from the changed out filter sticks to the block. Rookie mistake not to look at the filter when it came off to verify the gasket came with it.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:44 AM
pa22
New User
Originally Posted by Ken Wolkens
Make sure that statement is in writing on the repair order.

I think this sounds like very good advice. I'm on my way to see the service manager this morning, will post how it all turns out.

Old 12-09-2015, 07:06 AM
pa22
New User
This morning I'm going to see the service manager. I'll try and make sure they have done as much checking for damage as possible and that they put on the work order exactly what happened with the "defective oil filter".
Thank you everybody that replied. The initial shock/panic then anger etc. that follows an event like this is a bit stressful. This post and replies have returned me to a state of calmness. I'll post the results after the meeting. Thank you again!

Old 12-09-2015, 12:49 PM
pa22
New User
So after meeting with the service manager this is what I was told. They estimated the engine had 1 to 1.5 litres of oil left when they looked at it. They added the proper amount turned it over to find the leak. They then changed the defective filter then ran the truck, drained the oil and removed the filter to look for metal filings...none found. They put fresh oil and filter on. I asked him if there was more checks that could be done and he said they would pull the camshaft caps to check for damage as they (camshafts)are the farthest from the oil pan and would be damaged first from oil starvation. He said they might also pull the oil pan to check the crankshaft and rod bearings. Truck will be tied up a day or two more.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:15 PM
PIJoe
Freshman User
Well, at least it sounds to me like they're on top of it for now. Either way, get everything in writing no matter how good it sounds. You may need it if someone leaves, retires, or decides to be difficult if circumstances change in the future. How was the filter "defective" I'm curious...

Old 12-10-2015, 07:09 AM
dh_meyer
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PIJoe
.... How was the filter "defective" I'm curious...
And what kinda of filter was it ? I assume Motorcraft ?

Old 12-11-2015, 10:10 AM
pa22
New User
Well I finally got my truck back today. They tried to show me on a diagram what the defective oil filter was. They explained that it had a dent in the rim that caused it to leak but they wouldn't show me the filter. The work order says "Cause- Found oil filter with a loop over when filter removed."
The truck has no knocks or tapping when running but a sound that was not there before. I could best describe the sound as a metal spoon stirring in an empty metal bowl, without tapping or rattling the sides. They said it could be because the belts etc. were soaked with oil but it is a normal sound. I'm not 100% satisfied but it's the best they would do......time will tell.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:11 AM
pa22
New User
Originally Posted by dh_meyer
And what kinda of filter was it ? I assume Motorcraft ?
Yup, their original motorcraft filter.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:31 PM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by pa22
Well I finally got my truck back today. They tried to show me on a diagram what the defective oil filter was. They explained that it had a dent in the rim that caused it to leak but they wouldn't show me the filter. The work order says "Cause- Found oil filter with a loop over when filter removed."
The truck has no knocks or tapping when running but a sound that was not there before. I could best describe the sound as a metal spoon stirring in an empty metal bowl, without tapping or rattling the sides. They said it could be because the belts etc. were soaked with oil but it is a normal sound. I'm not 100% satisfied but it's the best they would do......time will tell.

Keep an ear on that noise you're hearing. If it gets worse, keep taking the truck back till you're satisfied.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 F150Harley needs new engine?