6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Plastic oil pan leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 11:53 PM
GCLL
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plastic oil pan leak

I had my truck at the dealer a while back while it was still under warranty and I told them that it was leaking around the oil pan. It was bad enough to coat the pan in oil, but no drips on the floor. They claimed no issue and sent me home. Well now my warranty is up and it's dripping on my shop floor. It is weeping out around the bolt heads. Anyone know if the new metal pans will bolt right up and how much they are?

I'm going to call the dealer in the morning and see if they will work with me since I did have it in under warranty for this same issue.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:56 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
Ford replaced many of the plastic pans with metal ones when they leaked or the drain plug leaked.

Send Crystal (Ford Service rep) a PM and see if she can get you some help with replacing it.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...newpm&u=574652

Old 12-07-2015, 05:59 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Plenty of past threads if you search "oil pan" in titles only. The link below even has a picture and talks about twenty minutes to install in your driveway.

Linky to example.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:38 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 889 Likes on 322 Posts
just had mine replaced for this very reason. was covered under the 5yr/100K engine warranty. the only thing I dislike about the new metal pan is that the plug still comes out the back, horizontally. Hole is somewhat smaller than the orginal plastic plug, now the oil shoots farther out yet. Time for a fumoto, with an elbow I guess.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:20 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GCLL
I had my truck at the dealer a while back while it was still under warranty and I told them that it was leaking around the oil pan. It was bad enough to coat the pan in oil, but no drips on the floor. They claimed no issue and sent me home. Well now my warranty is up and it's dripping on my shop floor. It is weeping out around the bolt heads. Anyone know if the new metal pans will bolt right up and how much they are?

I'm going to call the dealer in the morning and see if they will work with me since I did have it in under warranty for this same issue.
Hi GCLL,

Let me know when you'll be heading back in to the dealership. How many miles are on your truck currently? I'll see what I can do to help stop the leak.

Crystal

Old 12-07-2015, 02:13 PM
GCLL
Senior User
Thank you guys and Crystal.

The truck has 63,000 miles on it. It is outside of warranty by 4 months. I have an appointment at my dealer on Thursday. My dealer's service dept. has done me right in the past so hopefully they will take care of this.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:24 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 889 Likes on 322 Posts

The truck has 63,000 miles on it. It is outside of warranty by 4 months. I have an appointment at my dealer on Thursday. My dealer's service dept. has done me right in the past so hopefully they will take care of this.

Ah, I assumed you were talking about the 2013 in your signature.

EDIT: Also had forgotten that mid-2011 was when they switched from plastic to the metal ones. I guess it is Monday.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:30 PM
GCLL
Senior User
Originally Posted by djousma
Ah, I assumed you were talking about the 2013 in your signature.

No my 13 has the metal pan. It appears that this plastic pan is leaking from both the bolt heads and the drain plug. It's hard to tell if the bolts are just running down to the drain or if the drain is leaking too. Good reason for a redesign.

I actually liked the idea of a plastic pan at the beginning due to rust. Anyone that's had to pull an engine just to replace a rusted pan could relate.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:14 PM
Thenewboss
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by djousma
just had mine replaced for this very reason. was covered under the 5yr/100K engine warranty. the only thing I dislike about the new metal pan is that the plug still comes out the back, horizontally. Hole is somewhat smaller than the orginal plastic plug, now the oil shoots farther out yet. Time for a fumoto, with an elbow I guess.
No 90º elbow needed. I have the straight Fumoto and no issues at all. I crack it open to bleed off the initial head pressure, then wide open. Side note: the Fumoto takes considerably longer to drain than the OEM plug bolt. If you are in a rush to change the oil I don't recommend the valve. I open the valve and drill a 1/2" hole in the filter right from the start, it usually takes 25 minutes or so to slow to a drip.

Old 12-08-2015, 07:55 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep

You're welcome, GCLL! Come back and tell us about how things go on Thursday. If you need me to step in and assist, just say the word.

Crystal

Old 12-18-2015, 03:14 PM
GCLL
Senior User
I called this morning to check the status because I hadn't heard anything. They are claiming it is a rear main seal leaking. I am supposed to meet with the tech in the morning. I am pretty sure that it's not, but I will see what they say.

$1000 to replace. I had it in under warranty for this same leak and they told me there was no issue at that time.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:44 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
Rear main leaks are very rare... Enter with caution!

Old 12-21-2015, 12:02 PM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
I called this morning to check the status because I hadn't heard anything. They are claiming it is a rear main seal leaking. I am supposed to meet with the tech in the morning. I am pretty sure that it's not, but I will see what they say.

$1000 to replace. I had it in under warranty for this same leak and they told me there was no issue at that time.
Hi GCLL,

I received your PM this morning and sent a reply. I'll start working on some ways to help.

Crystal

Old 01-01-2016, 01:29 PM
GCLL
Senior User
Just an update for FTE members and Crystal.

My dealer has had my truck now for a little over 3 weeks. They have visually looked at it, but they were unwilling to do anymore without me consenting to pay for the diagnosis. They must remove the transmission to diagnose where the leak is definitely coming from. I understand the diagnosis process and the charges that go along with that, but my question is... Why, were they unwilling to do this formal diagnosis when the vehicle was in under warranty? Instead they sent me on my way and told me to come back when it got worse. When it got bad enough to drip on the ground when parked, I went back and was told, "sorry, you're out of warranty."

When I originally took the truck into the dealership under warranty there was a coating of transmission fluid on the bellhousing and oil coating the pan. It seems to be dry around the bellhousing now and only leaking from the pan. It's a tricky leak to figure out.

Crystal put me in touch with my regional Ford rep, Jim Willard. Jim has not been easy to get ahold of. It seems that Ford must only permit him to make one phone call per day.

The situation is very cut and dry for Jim. He does not care that the vehicle was in under warranty with this issue. He does not care that I have photos documenting the leak when it first started. He does not care that the dealership did no formal diagnosis of any kind when it was in the shop the first time. Jim only cares that the vehicle is now beyond the warranty period by a few months and 3,000 miles.

His viewpoint is unwavering. I was just repeatedly told that any assistance offered by Ford at this point was "good will" and they won't commit to any form of assistance until I agree to pay for a diagnosis. At that time they will decide what my worthiness is. What a crock of crap!

It will be interesting to see what Ford's idea of assistance will be in this case. If the vehicle was simply beyond warranty by a few months and developed a leak, then I would be annoyed, but I would pay for it and life would go on. This repair, however, should be on Ford's dime 100%.

This is a text book example of how to push a customer away and into another brand. It's hard to stomach supporting a company that doesn't stand behind it's product. Ford sure likes to toot it's horn about being the "go to" truck for business. Hmm, not so much. There must be a disclaimer, that's only for the companies running massive fleets.

For the record this truck has had many failures in it's 63,000 mile life including: a complete tear down to replace exhaust valves, radiator, EGR cooler, power steering pump, wastegate solenoid, Fuel pressure sensor, faulty power doors locks...

We'll see how the diagnosis comes back next week and then we'll see what kind of dollar amount that Ford put's on me as a customer.

Thank you once again for trying to keep me in the loop Crystal.

Ryan

Old 01-01-2016, 02:11 PM
Powerdude
Elder User
Just an update for FTE members and Crystal.

The situation is very cut and dry for Jim. He does not care that the vehicle was in under warranty with this issue. He does not care that I have photos documenting the leak when it first started. He does not care that the dealership did no formal diagnosis of any kind when it was in the shop the first time. Jim only cares that the vehicle is now beyond the warranty period by a few months and 3,000 miles.

His viewpoint is unwavering.
Jim obviously would actually have to do some paperwork and make a few phone calls to actually authorize such work, so that's why Jim is not going to do it.

I think it may be time to ask for Jim's supervisor's name in a polite way.

I see these posts all the time on this forum, and frankly, I find them totally exasperating, just like you.

Obviously there are people who care, like Crystal, but she can only do so much.

If the problem was originally documented within the warranty period, and obviously the problem was let go by the dealer, then the warranty should still apply. I had a similar problem with my wife's Honda, and it was no problem at all, because the problem was documented within the warranty period.

It's pretty obvious that the dealer does not get reimbursed for warranty service. Many dealers have told me this. But it is not an excuse to treat the customer like crap. Especially a customer who is a repeat customer of Ford's products.

Last edited by Powerdude; 01-01-2016 at 02:12 PM. Reason: stuff to write

Quick Reply: Plastic oil pan leak