Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: How should I put the install the shackles?
Tips out is what it's about!!!
15.63%
Tips go in, any way else is a sin!
40.63%
You're overthinking it...
34.38%
I would have just thrown them on and not cared and had a ratchet ass truck so my vote doesn't count.
9.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Tips in or out?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 02:45 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Tips in or out?

These survived the fire (you don't say) so I finally went and bought the thread locker so I could install them and not worry about them coming up missing after going into a store or something. Before I lock them in for good I thought I'd ask for thoughts?

So out looks better in my opinion but blocks the fog light hole (that I still have yet to use) just a tiny bit. In doesn't block it at all but makes them look smaller I think since it pulls the look together size wise.

Sorry I meant at this earlier I've got thread locker read that I bought to put on at the same time. I had no intentions of ever taking them off once I put them on. I forgot to put that on the post earlier.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:05 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why worry about the tips of the hooks when you have the nasty rust areas right next to them? Quit running into stuff with your big-azz bumper!

Old 12-04-2015, 03:08 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
Also use some more of your custom 'licence plate fasteners' to tie up that wire harness and connector before you short something out!!

Old 12-04-2015, 04:21 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I wouldn't lock them in period. Keep them in the center console and attach when you need them.

There will come a time when you need to actually install something with a loop in the clevis ring, and if you perma-install them you'll be screwed. I learned that the had way when all we had was a 30' strap, but the only way we could attach it was by doubling up through the permanently installed clevis on my Jeep. It screwed us up badly as we desperately needed the extra length. The strap loop was too wide to just run it through the clevis and then run the rest through the loop as well (noose style if you will), and your clevis rings looks a bit narrow to allow for that as well.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:51 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Yeah, I would use blue loc-tite at the most. I certainly would not use red. Mine ride back in the jack hole until I need them.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:02 PM
jayjjcc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I say tips out if you're going to leave them on. But I think leaving them in the truck until needed would be best... and a little touch up on the rust

Old 12-04-2015, 05:43 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 815 Likes on 566 Posts
I'm in the "keep them inside until needed" camp also. So I guess that would be tips in (inside the EX that is!)

Old 12-04-2015, 07:09 PM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Apocalypse
These survived the fire (you don't say) so I finally went and bought the thread locker so I could install them and not worry about them coming up missing after going into a store or something. Before I lock them in for good I thought I'd ask for thoughts?

So out looks better in my opinion but blocks the fog light hole (that I still have yet to use) just a tiny bit. In doesn't block it at all but makes them look smaller I think since it pulls the look together size wise.
How is your bumper rusting? Is it painted or powder coated? Also flip the passenger side bolt? so it doesn't block the fog light for when you do install them.

Originally Posted by Immortal_Ben
Yeah, I would use blue loc-tite at the most. I certainly would not use red. Mine ride back in the jack hole until I need them.
^this

Originally Posted by WE3ZS
I'm in the "keep them inside until needed" camp also. So I guess that would be tips in (inside the EX that is!)
Agree with the consensus, something like that is not cheap to replace and may grow legs.

Edit: I'm not LL so I vote ratchet *** truck.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:19 PM
The2003Excursion
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They're going to flop around and rust that thing even more. What a mess. I don't run around with my hitch installed either. Just waiting to cause more rust.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:36 PM
Drunken_Unicorn
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by The2003Excursion
They're going to flop around and rust that thing even more. What a mess. I don't run around with my hitch installed either. Just waiting to cause more rust.
We put d-rings on our trailers for some customers. They rattle like crazy. Put them in a tool box and hook them up when you really need them. My 2 cents.

Old 12-04-2015, 08:35 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Put them away, and pull them out when needed. I would never leave them on down here. They would come up missing quick.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:48 PM
Apocalypse
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
The bumper is powder coated, but was chipped pretty bad when it arrived both on the front and on the corners. The powder coating is thin and crappy and had it not been free I would not have got it at all. If I remember correctly they didn't even offer to sell it without the powder coating. I have however run into plenty of things with the bumper because it doesn't seem like it really matters on the big heavy part on the front.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:14 PM
High Cetane
Senior User
Those pics had me think of this....

Originally Posted by Apocalypse
I have however run into plenty of things with the bumper .......

Attached Images  
Old 12-04-2015, 10:26 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
If you are going to leave them on the bumper use a wrench and give them a snug turn to keep the pin from rattling loose and falling off while driving. also serves to keep others from causally walking away with them.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:44 PM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
So I'm going to disagree with most everybody here and tell you to run some anti-seize on the pins and run them in hand tight or you'll never get them apart when you really need them. In my experiences they get pretty stuck over time. If you run any kind of lock tight you'll need pliers at the very least to get them apart.

Quick Reply: Tips in or out?