Sponsored by:

Stereo Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 10:00 AM
Mattb60
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo Help

Have an 05 with stock head unit. I have this thing that is/was an adapter for an Ipod with a 30 pin connector.
Anybody have reccomendations for a new head unit or something that would let me use Bluetooth. I use this primarily for listening to podcasts

Old 12-04-2015, 10:32 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Parrot mki9200 has A2DP Bluetooth and plugs into a our factory head unit

Old 12-04-2015, 10:50 AM
afmedic
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got a pioneer single DIN head unit that does Bluetooth. I like it a lot

Old 12-04-2015, 11:15 AM
03X
Senior User
ANY new double din deck will have bluetooth.

Take a look at some of the Android units out there, WAY more features and control VS the "brand name" stuff. ALL of it is made in China anyways so dont be afraid to go with an android or other.

One example I am looking at is Joying® Aftermarket Best Android Head Unit, Android Car Stereo, Android Car Radio Audio Joying Best Double 2 Din In Dash Stereo Android 4.4.4 Kitkat Radio Audio GPS Navigation system Android In-Dash Android GPS navigation | carjoying.com

I currently have a JVC double din NAV unit and it is an absolute dinosaur compared to the android stuff. My JVC has so many irritating things I am looking to replace (including $140 for a map update...seriously???). Dual zone audio, GoogleMaps/Navigation and the "Torque" OBDII app (vehicle/engine information displayed on screen) are primarily what interests me. I have seen a few people with head units like these on forums and youtube and they seem pretty happy with them. I installed car audio for 8 years and I am finally going away from brand names, they are so ridiculously overpriced it is practically robbery! Example: To get a comparable whatever (alpine, pioneer, etc) double din head unit with updatable maps, I was going to have to pay almost $1k (canadian). Um, excuse me?

Anyway totallly a personal choice no right or wrong so good luck!

Old 12-05-2015, 10:34 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
^ amen !

I have a "top of the line" brand name from years back that was almost a grand.... The maps are out of date and the interface sucks compared to today's standards. In a word it is a pile. The android sounds intriguing and I am going to look into it. Thanks

How does apple play figure into the mix ?

Old 12-06-2015, 06:11 PM
afmedic
Posting Guru
If anyone wants take factory head unit with 6 disc changer you can have it. I took mine out and I don't need it, but I hate to throw it away

Old 12-06-2015, 06:23 PM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by afmedic
If anyone wants take factory head unit with 6 disc changer you can have it. I took mine out and I don't need it, but I hate to throw it away
Post that up in the free parts thread so more people will see it.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:24 PM
afmedic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Immortal_Ben
Post that up in the free parts thread so more people will see it.
Thought about that as soon as I hit send! I prayed it up there and it might be gone already

Old 12-07-2015, 08:44 AM
03X
Senior User
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
^ amen !

I have a "top of the line" brand name from years back that was almost a grand.... The maps are out of date and the interface sucks compared to today's standards. In a word it is a pile. The android sounds intriguing and I am going to look into it. Thanks

How does apple play figure into the mix ?
Lots of Android decks support Airplay right out of the box

Old 12-07-2015, 12:47 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 03X
Lots of Android decks support Airplay right out of the box
until this thread I had never even looked at an android unit, from the looks of it there really is no need for apple play as a iPhone controls all the functions of the android. pretty slick

Old 12-07-2015, 06:50 PM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
Originally Posted by 03X
ANY new double din deck will have bluetooth.

Take a look at some of the Android units out there, WAY more features and control VS the "brand name" stuff. ALL of it is made in China anyways so dont be afraid to go with an android or other.

One example I am looking at is Joying® Aftermarket Best Android Head Unit, Android Car Stereo, Android Car Radio Audio Joying Best Double 2 Din In Dash Stereo Android 4.4.4 Kitkat Radio Audio GPS Navigation system Android In-Dash Android GPS navigation | carjoying.com

I currently have a JVC double din NAV unit and it is an absolute dinosaur compared to the android stuff. My JVC has so many irritating things I am looking to replace (including $140 for a map update...seriously???). Dual zone audio, GoogleMaps/Navigation and the "Torque" OBDII app (vehicle/engine information displayed on screen) are primarily what interests me. I have seen a few people with head units like these on forums and youtube and they seem pretty happy with them. I installed car audio for 8 years and I am finally going away from brand names, they are so ridiculously overpriced it is practically robbery! Example: To get a comparable whatever (alpine, pioneer, etc) double din head unit with updatable maps, I was going to have to pay almost $1k (canadian). Um, excuse me?

Anyway totallly a personal choice no right or wrong so good luck!
Did you buy this unit? I'm in the process of getting a new radio as well for my 06 f350. I like the bells and whistles this one comes with...esp the torque app. Wonder if I could use my egt gauge from my SCT X4 on it? Any feedback on the unit would be great. I'm assuming this thing is coming from China, correct?

Old 12-08-2015, 08:44 AM
03X
Senior User
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom
Did you buy this unit? I'm in the process of getting a new radio as well for my 06 f350. I like the bells and whistles this one comes with...esp the torque app. Wonder if I could use my egt gauge from my SCT X4 on it? Any feedback on the unit would be great. I'm assuming this thing is coming from China, correct?
no havent got around to it yet, but I first saw it here (Skip to 6:00 to see the torque app):

The torque app connects to the head unit via a bluetooth adapter that you plug into your OBD port.

-

Old 12-08-2015, 11:45 AM
jasoncw
Tuned
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Any idea whether this can be used for the OEM DVD player? It's hard to read descriptions that were interpreted by someone who speaks Chinese and very little English.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:55 AM
03X
Senior User
Originally Posted by jasoncw
Any idea whether this can be used for the OEM DVD player? It's hard to read descriptions that were interpreted by someone who speaks Chinese and very little English.
Absolutely any DVD deck can be used with the OEM factory DVD.

It is very easy but requires a little bit of custom work. You need to power the OEM overhead dvd (thats it, power and ground), and simply run a video cable from your aftermarket decks video output to the Yellow input jack of the OEM unit on the roof.

You can have the cable come out around the plastic shroud (and be visible) or take apart the OEM unit and remove the input jacks so they they can be plugged in and hidden behind it.

It was very easy for me but I used to do car audio for a living for 5yrs as well as custom coach work for 7yrs.

Any decent stereo shop can do this without a sweat.

Old 12-08-2015, 11:59 AM
03X
Senior User
check this (and several other threads if you search em) for more info:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...llation-3.html

And here is how you trim the dash to install a double din deck into a ford (Ive done lots of these its fairly easy, skip to 10:00 if you want to see the install) And, also at 14:59 you can see 2 screw inserts right above where the factory deck was. You HAVE to take these out to remove the dash although if the guy mentioned it I missed it. AND, further along the guy screws through the side of the opening to secure the deck... DONT DO THIS. The deck will snap into the opening you have just cut SO SOLID there is no need for this style of install. Metrakit makes the one that is much nicer than the scosche. Anyway, this guys shows you the basics.

Quick Reply: Stereo Help