Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help ID my Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 08:45 PM
Semper Fordelis
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help ID my Transmission

I just purchased a 1995 F150 4x4 w/ 302.

I bought it with the transmission having known problems and am planning to repair/replace it.

Im having a problem getting a no-doubt ID of it. Here what I think I know...

Door Transmission Code = U ( Looked it up and its supposed to be a 4R70W)
The trans pan has 14 bolts
Ive only managed to find a couple of markings:
There is a heat shied on the Pass side that says "AODE XW"
There is a build tag on the passenger side that says "4X" in big letters

I had read somewhere that an "X" on the side denotes a certain transmission.

Any help on this would be great, Im leaning it towards the 4R70W, but since Im sure there has been a bunch of work done, I don't know if a swap had been done along the way, and 2 transmissions having the same bolt pattern isn't helping. I want to be certain before I buy a new trans or a rebuild kit. Thanks for any help in advance!!

Old 12-03-2015, 11:31 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 951 Likes on 755 Posts
The term AODE is often used interchangably with 4R70w to describe the same transmission, this is a needlessly complicated topic with Ford because there was also an AOD-E but it was never used in trucks. Bottom line is you have a 4R70w and you should use that term when searching for new part or a replacement transmission.

So all that said what problems are you having with this one? If it's slipping it probably needs a rebuild but if there are any wonky shifting issues or false neutrals you likely have an electrical or electronic/sensor problem so eliminate all those possiblities before spending a dime on a rebuild or replacement.

Old 12-04-2015, 04:56 AM
Semper Fordelis
Senior User
The Transmission has a major leak out of the pan and the tailshaft, it has the false Neutral issue ( No matter what gear it is in it always thinks its in Drive) and when I was diagnosing all of that I found a big crack across the top of the tail end of the transmission housing.

I don't have any experience with repairing and rebuilding Transmissions so I think buying another transmission would be the way to go.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thank you for the great reply!

Old 12-04-2015, 12:42 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Old 12-04-2015, 01:41 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Semper Fordelis
The Transmission has a major leak out of the pan and the tailshaft, it has the false Neutral issue ( No matter what gear it is in it always thinks its in Drive) and when I was diagnosing all of that I found a big crack across the top of the tail end of the transmission housing.

Thoughts or suggestions?
OK so you got mechanical problems as well as electronic so another trans is probably a good idea. Before pulling it though do some troubleshooting to eliminate as much of the electronic control system as possible otherwise you may have the same false neutral problem with the replacement trans. This thing is 100% computer controlled and the vehicle speed and throttle position are key inputs for correct trans operation, so if you have any problems with the speedo or any problem with the engine that causes a check engine light the trans will do some strange things.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:54 PM
Semper Fordelis
Senior User
I found a used transmission on CL. I am going to take a look at it tomorrow. Are there any physical differences that will tell me whether or not it is a 4R70W as opposed to an AOD, or and AOD-E? The seller is not certain which type of transmission it is. IF need be I can pull my Tans tomorrow morning and take it with me for a side by side comparison.

Thanks for all of the great help so far!

SF

Old 12-05-2015, 08:10 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
I found a used transmission on CL. I am going to take a look at it tomorrow. Are there any physical differences that will tell me whether or not it is a 4R70W as opposed to an AOD, or and AOD-E? The seller is not certain which type of transmission it is. IF need be I can pull my Tans tomorrow morning and take it with me for a side by side comparison.

Thanks for all of the great help so far!

SF
Yeah that's easy.

An AOD will have TWO levers on the side, one for the shifter and one for the kickdown cable. A 4R70W or AOD-E will only have one lever.

To tell a 4R70W apart from an AOD-E, look for a "W" cast into the case. This denotes a 4R70W, if it ain't there then you're looking at an AOD-E.

Difference between AOD-E and 4R70W is that the 4R has a wider ratio spread between gears.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:12 PM
Semper Fordelis
Senior User
Awesome, will I be able to see the "W" while it is installed in the truck? Which side will it be on?

Old 12-05-2015, 08:33 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Awesome, will I be able to see the "W" while it is installed in the truck?
If you find a truck with trans code U it's a 4R70w, the AODE was never installed in trucks and there are no 4wd versions.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:19 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Awesome, will I be able to see the "W" while it is installed in the truck? Which side will it be on?
Yeah you can see it. Not sure what side it's on but it's right there on the main casting. You'll see it if you're looking for it.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:33 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Conanski
If you find a truck with trans code U it's a 4R70w, the AODE was never installed in trucks and there are no 4wd versions.
To clarify, Paul is talking about the trans code on the sticker on the drivers side door jamb. You can look at your trucks sticker to verify Pauls info.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:13 AM
Semper Fordelis
Senior User
Thanks Bash, I was tracking on the door code. The trans Im looking at unfortunately does not have a truck wrapped around it to check the VIN on so I needed some other cues to identify the trans. With the info Dixie gave me I think Im good to go. Waiting to hear from the seller and go check it out today.

Thanks again!

Old 12-06-2015, 05:27 PM
Semper Fordelis
Senior User
Picked this up today, came out of a 95 4x4 w/ 302, 100k, fluid is cherry red w no burnt smell. It was literally the only one within 200 miles, listed for $100. I picked it up for $60. Seller was awesome.

Im thinking of finding someone to rebuild it, putting new sensors on it, and a high capacity oil pan as well. Possibly a shift kit. Thoughts?

Old 12-06-2015, 06:09 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Picked this up today, came out of a 95 4x4 w/ 302, 100k, fluid is cherry red w no burnt smell. It was literally the only one within 200 miles, listed for $100. I picked it up for $60. Seller was awesome.

Im thinking of finding someone to rebuild it, putting new sensors on it, and a high capacity oil pan as well. Possibly a shift kit. Thoughts?
That's a 4R70W but there's no "W" cast into the case. I know for a fact my 97 and 98 4R transmissions both had that marking but they were 2wd as well. Concerned about my previous advice, I did some research after seeing your pics and apparently it is cast into the extension housing instead of the main case. It's been years since I owned a 4R so I guess I was imagining it being cast into the main housing.

My guess is the 4x4 extension housing didn't get it because there was no 4x4 AOD-E to get it confused with (per Conanski's post). Anyhow, sorry about that ill advice... Thankfully it did no harm to you and I learned something too!

I would definitely do a shift kit while it's out. I installed them in both of my 4R's previously mentioned and in my opinion it's one of the best things you can do to an auto besides making sure it stays cool and has clean fluid.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:20 PM
Semper Fordelis
Senior User
I just assumed that t he "W" was the w in the build tag, since I couldn't seem to find a "W" cast into my current transmission, but there was a "W" on my build tag also.

Im glad my assumption panned out, but even if it hadn't, I would have only been out $60 until I could find another buyer, it was worth the risk!

Thanks Dixie, mistakes happen, no harm no foul!!

Quick Reply: Help ID my Transmission