Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

Anyone in central AR with a IDS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 06:52 PM
timmytoes
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone in central AR with a IDS?

Im looking for anyone with access to IDS or something of the like to look at injector I have a 05 f250 6.0 that i suspect might have a weak injector but of course I dont have any way to figure out which one. No codes are thrown. At least none that can be picked up but scan guage or my other reader. Its acting like its bogging down sortly after it shifts in 5th. It vibrates a little until i either let off the accelerator or push it down more, then it runs fine. It also idles a little rough while at a stop light but when I take off, its fine until i hit fifth gear. Usually does it between 45-55 mph. I have a thread in the 6.0 forum but no luck with anything other than checking the injectors.
Thanks!

Last edited by timmytoes; 12-02-2015 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Left out the"AR"
Old 12-04-2015, 07:49 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the AE-Ford Bundle, not sure if anyone has an IDS...yet. As my profile states, I live in Ft Smith (and work in OK/KS). But I should be down in the LR area around Christmas, can work out some details if you think you can wait three weeks.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:54 AM
timmytoes
Senior User

Originally Posted by zhilton
I have the Ford Bundle AE, not sure if anyone has an IDS...yet. As my profile stays, I live in Ft Smith (and work in OK/KS). But I should be down around LR around Christmas, can work out some details if you think you can wait three weeks.
That would be great! I dont have much of a choice with christmas around the corner and 4 kids. Will your equip show injector contribution? I can meet you anywhere when the time comes. I cant thank you enough!

Old 12-04-2015, 07:01 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by timmytoes
Will your equip show injector contribution? I can meet you anywhere when the time comes.
Yes, you can do a contribution balance test...basically the AE will map all eight injectors as they fire and can/will point out which is over/under firing. While I've never used a IDS, the AE is pretty dang handy and pointed me toward a cracked injector. Let me get with the family down that way (NLR) and see what they've got planned...I'll shoot you a PM when I get the plan from the clan.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:44 PM
timmytoes
Senior User

! I might just look into the AE then. I sure appreciate your help!

Old 12-05-2015, 11:20 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
! I might just look into the AE then. I sure appreciate your help!
This is what you'll need...

AutoEnginuity Total Ford Scan Tool Package Enhanced Bundle SP03

Site sponsor and generally the best price you'll find. It has to be the enhanced bundle so that the you can pull the codes from the International PCM. A generic will pull the chassis codes (speedometer, shift fault, etc)...but won't see the engine specific codes.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:43 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
This is what you'll need...

AutoEnginuity Total Ford Scan Tool Package Enhanced Bundle SP03

Site sponsor and generally the best price you'll find. It has to be the enhanced bundle so that the you can pull the codes from the International PCM. A generic will pull the chassis codes (speedometer, shift fault, etc)...but won't see the engine specific codes.
Yep, what Zac said. I too have the Ford enhanced package and it works great.

Old 12-05-2015, 03:29 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
This reminds me, I need to see if I can get an update to my AE. We bought it before we bought the little blue demon (wife's rocket on rails)...thus 2012 and new models aren't supported with my version. And according to the Chevy guys...it's going to leave someone stranded on the side of the road; best be prepared.

Old 12-05-2015, 04:59 PM
timmytoes
Senior User

This reminds me, I need to see if I can get an update to my AE. We bought it before we bought the little blue demon (wife's rocket on rails)...thus 2012 and new models aren't supported with my version. And according to the Chevy guys...it's going to leave someone stranded on the side of the road; best be prepared.
Know-it-all chevy guys! What do they know....they drive chevys. Doe the AE require a subscription once you install it on your laptop or do you buy vehicle specific bundles and if so, how expensive is it? Im totally ignorant of it.

Old 12-05-2015, 05:06 PM
timmytoes
Senior User

disreguard. I saw the price on the link you provided covers our trucks. I gues you just have to keep it updated for newer vehicles. Do they charge for updates?

Old 12-05-2015, 05:13 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Know-it-all chevy guys! What do they know....they drive chevys. Doe the AE require a subscription once you install it on your laptop or do you buy vehicle specific bundles and if so, how expensive is it? Im totally ignorant of it.
It's a stand alone software...you install it from a CD, no internet connection required; though it's handy for looking up specific codes on a specific website...cough, FTE. You can buy add-on bundles for all kinds of makes....Chevy, Dodge, Domestic, European, Asia and so on. I just went with the Ford Bundle because I need to be able to see/diagnose PowerStroke codes; if I was a Jay Leno kind of car nut or owned a small shop I would have gone with the ProLine which covers anything with an OBD-II port ($1200). There is something that IDS can do in addition to what AE is able to do, but I don't remember what it is off the top of my head. I tried it once (without success) to re-calibrate a speedometer; it'll do PATS key programming and do "live data"...read what the PCM is seeing for all kinds of on-board sensors. That was how I confirmed my original oil cooler was clogged several years ago. Just in diagnosed injectors and the oil cooler, I've gotten my money back out of AE. It isn't a SCT tuner type of code reader...you really need a PC to run all the functions. I run my AE off a seven year old laptop...but I reckon if you had a desktop that was really close to the shop, you could use that...you just need something with a USB port to plug the interface into. Though test drives would be tough with that desk top. Clay at RiffRaff offers all bundles/packages of AE.
disreguard. I saw the price on the link you provided covers our trucks. I gues you just have to keep it updated for newer vehicles. Do they charge for updates?
No clue, I sent an email to the guy at AE several years ago...but life got busy at the time and didn't follow through with the task at hand. Couldn't even tell you what I did with the email...I'm sure I've long since deleted it. I know, shame on me.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:38 PM
timmytoes
Senior User

I want to buy it but it just isnt in the budget right now. So far I know Im going to have to do head gaskets and Im not about to put TTY bolts back in, so Im saving for ARPs and gaskets. I also need to send my FICM in to Ed to have it looked at. i havent been able to work since 2006 because of a helicopter crash. Right now my military retirement, social security and VA disability pay the bills. Did I mention I have 4 kids? Its all good though. As a matter of fact, I was near Booneville when I crashed. Not to far from you. Would you happen to know a Trooper named Andy Wiley from Van Buren? He was with me when it happened.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:17 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
There are quite a few Wiley in this neck of the woods...but I don't know the gentleman you speak of. And I try to stay off the radar of those gentlemen with the blue stripes on the fenders...it's cheaper that way.

For the sake of discussion, are you sure your headgaskets are toast? Not to pick on the '05 thru '07 guys...but those oil coolers weren't exactly bulletproof. The only reason I ask, oil coolers are WAY cheaper and easier to repair than a set of headgaskets. I was hoping mine would lift the heads several years ago when it was still under warranty...no such luck and even after a couple of 30psi of boost up the mountain (I49 toward Fayetteville) dragging the 5th wheel...it still hasn't lifted them. Guess I got a good one. But I know the day will come that this motor will be done and it'll be time to stuff a replacement under the hood...the next one will have all the goodies; I mean it's got to be an upgrade.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:04 PM
timmytoes
Senior User

Im pretty sure. I replaced the oil cooler a few years ago, added a coolant filter and deleted the EGR coolerand it still pukes out he degas when I get on it. Ive put several new caps on the degas too and still puking. I think ti happened before I really started educating myself on the 6.0. I put a hypertech programmer on it while pulling my toy hauler and could kick myself for doing it. Thats what actually caused me to join the forum. Too bad I didnt do that BEFORE I bought that stupid programmer.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:29 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Im pretty sure. I replaced the oil cooler a few years ago, added a coolant filter and deleted the EGR coolerand it still pukes out he degas when I get on it. Ive put several new caps on the degas too and still puking. I think ti happened before I really started educating myself on the 6.0.
I was going suggest the standard procedure for checking the EGR cooler, but it appears you've deleted yours. If that's the case, then yeah...I'd say you've lifted the heads. All that raw power those poor 7.3L guys wish they had.
I put a hypertech programmer on it while pulling my toy hauler and could kick myself for doing it. Thats what actually caused me to join the forum. Too bad I didnt do that BEFORE I bought that stupid programmer.
Your not the first one to be temped by the darkside. I've resisted it for a long time...but I maybe forced to do something before the next chapter GTG. Getting passed by a 7.3L is embarrassing.

By the way...you've got mail.