New to 5th wheeling. on the road what to watch out for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 01:32 PM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
New to 5th wheeling. on the road what to watch out for?

I have a 2011 F250 with a 6 1/2' bed. Putting in a Reese hitch (stationary)

Pulling a Gateway 37' 5th wheeler. What should I be watching out for when traveling? Note first 5th wheel.

Prior to this pulled a 30' Zinger travel trailer.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:59 PM
Garyl53
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure what model Gateway but if you are dropping over 2000 hitch weight on the 2011 you may need Torklift Lower or Upper Stableloads, Timbrens, or air bags to reduce the squat and make the ride acceptable. Depends on your pin weight of course. Check your clearance between back window and 5vr when backing up doing a turn to make sure you don't hit. At least if you cannot clear the window you should me very careful backing.

Old 12-02-2015, 07:51 PM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Garyl53
Not sure what model Gateway but if you are dropping over 2000 hitch weight on the 2011 you may need Torklift Lower or Upper Stableloads, Timbrens, or air bags to reduce the squat and make the ride acceptable. Depends on your pin weight of course. Check your clearance between back window and 5vr when backing up doing a turn to make sure you don't hit. At least if you cannot clear the window you should me very careful backing.
I'm putting in ride rite air springs assist 5'000 lbs. Hitch weight is 2,270 on the heavier side but shouldn't have a problem with squatting. I will check the back window when I hitch up at the dealer. These newer trailers are suppose to be more better, but I will check for clearance. Thanks.

Old 12-02-2015, 08:36 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
With a short bed pickup. Get a slider fifth wheel for bed of truck. Saves on rear windows.

Old 12-03-2015, 05:18 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
You will want a slider of some type in the end. A lot of times you don't need it but a lot of campgrounds it really comes in handy.

You a spotter and take it to a larger area that you can practice a bit with it after purchase.

Practice your turns and see what the limits are with the spotter walking beside you..slowww.

Same with backing, try some simple backing up so you can see how it goes. It will be different.

Your big thing will be the ride. It maybe more bouncy on the road, especially bridge structures.

Fuel range will probably suffer more so be prepared to stop every 175 miles (ball parking it). I think you have a 26 gl tank?

Old 12-03-2015, 06:05 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
Thanks for the information. I have a empty parking lot picked out and Kathy my spotter will be there to watch. I will be taking all you advice with doing it slowly and parking it and finding limits. I hadn't thought about just going straight back. Good idea.

As for the sliding hitch, it may be or will be in the future. But for now the other is what I have to start and will see how much it will hamper the maneuverability of the rig.

Again thanks, I have always been able to count on the people at Ford enthusiasts to get good solid info. Thanks...

Old 12-03-2015, 06:47 AM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
If you can , borrow some orange cones and place them about 12 apart in a u fashion. This will pretend your parking in a campground.
I watched a friend blow out his rear window, I have also came close, forgot to move slider. It cost him around $1000 with body work needed to get glass frame aligned.
Most problems are in very sharp turns and or not flat ground. Been on some that is very steep to back in.
Just keep a watchful eye on the clearance. Enjoy the rig.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:58 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by bigredtruckmi
If you can , borrow some orange cones and place them about 12 apart in a u fashion. This will pretend your parking in a campground.
I watched a friend blow out his rear window, I have also came close, forgot to move slider. It cost him around $1000 with body work needed to get glass frame aligned.
Most problems are in very sharp turns and or not flat ground. Been on some that is very steep to back in.
Just keep a watchful eye on the clearance. Enjoy the rig.
I don't think he will have a problem. Look at that camper. The king pin is at the very front edge of the camper.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:28 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,444 Likes on 2,841 Posts
John, you probably won't have a problem with the turning and possibility of knocking out your rear window. Although, if you would like peace of mind (like I normally do) then look into a "sidewinder" attachment instead of a sliding hitch. You already have your hitch picked out and the sidewinder will work with your hitch.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:23 AM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Great idea

Old 12-03-2015, 08:44 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Going from a bumper pull to a 5th wheel, you need to be thinking about making turns. You need to swing out a little wider with a 5th wheel. The trailer and truck starts turning at the same time.

Also backing up will be different enough that it will feel awkward the first couple times you do it. 5th wheels don't recover from a turn in reverse as fast as a bumper pull does.

If you encounter rough terrain, like a dry creek bed or a steep curb ramp, watch that the truck and trailer don't get too out of plane with each other. You can touch the bed rails to the bottom of the trailer easier than you may realize.

Old 12-03-2015, 08:46 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Speaking of turning, turn when you truck reaches the hips.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:35 AM
ct diesel
Posting Guru
All great tips thanks. Will use them all. Peace of mind the sidewinder sound great from the video will be looking into it today.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:35 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by senix
Speaking of turning, turn when you truck reaches the hips.
Could you explain this a bit more for those of us looking to move from a TT to a 5th soon?

Old 12-03-2015, 09:37 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by thomabb
If you encounter rough terrain, like a dry creek bed or a steep curb ramp, watch that the truck and trailer don't get too out of plane with each other. You can touch the bed rails to the bottom of the trailer easier than you may realize.
Are there any other words of wisdom in regards to rough terrain or steep inclines/declines that may cause a problem other than stopping and finding another route?

Quick Reply: New to 5th wheeling. on the road what to watch out for?