6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Potential Trouble, Need Help with buddy's truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 06:52 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Potential Trouble, Need Help with buddy's truck

Hows it going guys, I am a normal over on the 6.7L Powerstroke forum. One of my good friends has a 2008 F-350 6.4 Powerstroke, Vermillion Red CCLB. When he got it, it had 110k with the emissions still on. The truck ran good as far as I could tell. So we deleted the DPF, but the tuner he bought, a Gearbox Z DPF-R first, then then Electron. He is saying that Gearbox told him that he couldn't delete the EGR. If anybody can tell me whats what, that would be awesome.

First thing that it's doing is when he turns the truck off, we hear a "whoof whoof whoof" that seems to be coming from the twin turbos. If this is normal then cool, if not then if anybody can point me in the right direction to guide him that would be great.

Second thing is when he is idling, on his Electron, it's changing from 4% load to 6%, his RPM changes +50, and starts almost "skipping".

Third thing is he is losing coolant from the little elbow in front of the Degas Bottle. We can see the residue from when it comes out of there, but we have never seen it actively coming from there.

Any help on any of the issues would be GREAT. The whole idling thing where it "skips" almost, you can hear it "miss" I guess you could put it as, and the coolant shooting from the small elbow in front of the degas bottle would be awesome. We gotta make it last a long time for him. Thanks fellas!

Old 12-02-2015, 12:49 AM
CrazySob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The leaking coolant is just that... Leaking coolant. You not seeing it can be attributed to the fact that these trucks hold pressure even after being shut off. The leak happens as the "hole" bleeds enough pressure to stop leaking. The fix is replace the fitting... I am struggling with the same problem on my horizontal egr cooler... For me its a matter of deleting because I am tired of dealing with the emissions on this truck. The bd egr delete kit is on its way...

Now... For the skip, thats a big problem. The first thing I want you to do is get the truck up to temp and pull the oil fill cap and set it in the hole. There WILL be blow by, every single 6.4 has had blow by from factory... The question is does that cap stay in the hole when set in place? If not, you have a cracked piston or sever ring wear. In that case your only option is to pull the motor and rebuild or replace. If it doesn't, that could be a bad injector. I would expect to have a code (and a CEL) with this. There also may be another underlying factor as well. Any time you have a "skip" on a 6.4 you NEED to get it into a shop. These trucks are really good at hiding problems. Once a dead skip or misfire is identified its usually a major issue.

Let us know what you find with the blow by test, remember you still see vapor. Its what happens when you set the cap in the hole and let go that we need to hear about. After that we can tell you what you need to do.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:32 AM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Ok, thanks for the response brother. I will do that and report back. I forgot to add that we did block off the EGR with the plates. Anyways, will try to get it done today.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:28 AM
CrazySob
Senior User
Does he have a CAI on the truck? That's most likely the noise you are hearing from the turbo. The stock filter muffles the turbo almost completely.

Old 12-02-2015, 01:22 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
No, he has the stock air filter. When he turns the truck off, it's a "whoof whoof whoof".

Old 12-04-2015, 09:33 AM
BubbaWhit6.4
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrazySob
The leaking coolant is just that... Leaking coolant. You not seeing it can be attributed to the fact that these trucks hold pressure even after being shut off. The leak happens as the "hole" bleeds enough pressure to stop leaking. The fix is replace the fitting... I am struggling with the same problem on my horizontal egr cooler... For me its a matter of deleting because I am tired of dealing with the emissions on this truck. The bd egr delete kit is on its way...

Now... For the skip, thats a big problem. The first thing I want you to do is get the truck up to temp and pull the oil fill cap and set it in the hole. There WILL be blow by, every single 6.4 has had blow by from factory... The question is does that cap stay in the hole when set in place? If not, you have a cracked piston or sever ring wear. In that case your only option is to pull the motor and rebuild or replace. If it doesn't, that could be a bad injector. I would expect to have a code (and a CEL) with this. There also may be another underlying factor as well. Any time you have a "skip" on a 6.4 you NEED to get it into a shop. These trucks are really good at hiding problems. Once a dead skip or misfire is identified its usually a major issue.

Let us know what you find with the blow by test, remember you still see vapor. Its what happens when you set the cap in the hole and let go that we need to hear about. After that we can tell you what you need to do.
Ok I'm the guy Matt is talking about. I've never been big on the forums and I honestly forget to ask questions on here cause I'm not too big into the computer world. So I drove the rig and got it to temps pulled over checked for blow by and as you stated I saw the vapors, I unscrewed the cap simply set it back in without threading it and it didn't blow out or move. It did tilt due to the weird angle the oil fill sits at. Thanks for all of your input. It's greatly appreciated. I owe entirely too much on this truck for it to break lol.

Old 12-05-2015, 08:24 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Just an update, he is just going to take his truck to a dealer for a Diagnostic at some point. He took a video and we could see a fair amount of blowby, but it wasn't enough to "shoot" the cap off. Injector might be, but like it was stated earlier I would think there would be a check engine light.

Old 12-05-2015, 10:55 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The fluctuation at idle, can you monitor the fuel pressure on the high side? Mine was doing that and replaced the Fuel Pressure Sensor to solve it. The fuel pressure was bouncing between 4500psi to 5100psi at idle.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:22 AM
bubba.whit6.4
Senior User
Hey CampSpringsJohn my FRP stays at 6k steady at idle according to my gauge. I'm not sure if that's too high or now considering yours was 4500 to 5100. Ive had the truck a year but I'm still new to having gauges and everything so this is the first time I've monitored stuff.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:36 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
I haven't monitored the FPR in a while. I actually only monitored it to determine the potential problem. Once it was solved, I changed the PID in my Edge Insight. I'm heading out in a few minutes and will monitor it, I'll check back this evening.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:23 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
5.1 K at idle.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:01 PM
bubba.whit6.4
Senior User
Well I'll know something in the morning. Diag is getting done at 9. I'll post and let y'all know what's going on. Thanks for your input so far.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:21 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
The pcm must see 5k psi to fire and idle.

I would be curious on what the fuel pressure is, not just the high pressure system. They will throw an IDS on it and run various tests, but I almost wonder if your hfcm is taking a crap. If they can't find anything have them run a pressure test off of the lift pump (hfcm). If it isn't pushing volume to the hpfp you will start to see problems. Generally I would expect to see issues while driving more than at idle though.

The other question is, does it smooth out once its warm? If the oil fill cap isn't blowing out of the fill hole you don't have a cracked piston or a MAJOR compression issue. Could still have worn rings, that isn't uncommon on stock trucks. You could very well have an injector that isn't firing properly as well. They will do an injector balance test and it will give an idea of injector health.

If they do a relative compression test don't let them tell you the motor is blown though... It is a common Ford tactic to run a relative compression test and try to say you have a dead (or multiple) hole. Relative compression tests are not accurate on a 6.4, they must test each hole...

I really don't think you have a base engine problem (crazier things do happen with these trucks though...), but without access to the truck its all just speculation as far as diagnosis. Let us know what they find.

Old 12-07-2015, 06:26 AM
bubba.whit6.4
Senior User
It doesn't do this skippy crap all the time. Most of the time it'll do it but it doesn't matter if it's hot cold warm nothin. If I pull over and put it in park and sit there it'll usually do it for a little bit. I give it a little throttle and it'll calm down. It's also not like it's struggling to stay running either. It honestly sounds like it's gotta a bigger can in it and it's loping. It shakes the whole truck. I've never had a problem while driving though. I really don't understand it.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:55 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
You might just have a bad injector... With an ids hooked up all they will need to do in order to verify this is watch injector balance rates.

Quick Reply: Potential Trouble, Need Help with buddy's truck