1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Replacing power steering pump

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 01:54 PM
Az_Green_Machine
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing power steering pump

Hey guys looks like I'll be replacing my power steering pump, seems to be leaking from the front near the pully. Just looking for tips tricks and words of advice on doing this.

Old 12-01-2015, 03:15 PM
lee00
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Az_Green_Machine
Hey guys looks like I'll be replacing my power steering pump, seems to be leaking from the front near the pully. Just looking for tips tricks and words of advice on doing this.
Transmission fluid...I always like doing the lines too...I paid to have mine done though... as they had to do the box at the same time and broke two pitman arm pullers in the process...

Old 12-01-2015, 03:31 PM
Az_Green_Machine
Senior User
I just got a fresh rebuild and new fluid. It literally started leaking heading back from picking it up from the trans shop. Kind of annoyed about the whole thing.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:19 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't have a power steering pulley puller and installer, you will need to rent one. The pulley needs to be pulled off before the pump can be removed, then pressed back on after the new pump is installed. Pay close attention to how where the pulley is on the shaft of the old pump, and try to press it back on about the same place on the new one. Check belt alignment really well. You may need to move the pulley one way or the other to align the belt. If you get it off much at all, it will start shredding belts. Fan and fan shroud will probably have to come off to get enough room to use the puller, so will need a fan clutch wrench also.

Old 12-01-2015, 05:59 PM
Az_Green_Machine
Senior User
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1069519-how-to-power-steering-pump-replacement.html

Just gave that a read, great write up. I realize the errors of my way, adding power steering fluid... Why do they have to make this such a pain? Pumps on order, I'll flush at the same time. I'll remember the fan clutch wrench.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:40 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lee00
Transmission fluid...I always like doing the lines too...I paid to have mine done though... as they had to do the box at the same time and broke two pitman arm pullers in the process...
Geeze, you know what... I've checked mine but never in my ownership of both of my OBS trucks have I added fluid. I had it flushed but have never personally added.. What fluid does it take exactly? I'm gunna flush mine when I get home.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:54 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by coreyallan01
Geeze, you know what... I've checked mine but never in my ownership of both of my OBS trucks have I added fluid. I had it flushed but have never personally added.. What fluid does it take exactly? I'm gunna flush mine when I get home.
Mercon transmission fluid.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:08 PM
coreyallan01
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ReBilld
Mercon transmission fluid.
Thanks Bill.. Im a little ashamed to admit that..

Old 12-01-2015, 08:10 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by coreyallan01
Thanks Bill.. Im a little ashamed to admit that..
No need to be ashamed buddy! LOL!

Old 12-01-2015, 09:10 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Before you press the pulley on put the bolts in. Its a really tight fit but you can do it with the fan shroud still on.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:49 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Before you press the pulley on put the bolts in. Its a really tight fit but you can do it with the fan shroud still on.
Couldn't you remove it the same way, with the pulley in place? Unthread the bolts with a gearwrench, leave 'em captive behind the pulley, then do the pulley (and bolt) swap on the bench?

I know with the vacuum pump, you can do it either way, and it's about the same amount of work either way. I did one vac pump by removing the pulley first, and the puller was a real tight fit behind the fan shroud. Helped a neighbor do his by doing the pulley on the bench (well, the tailgate...), and working the gearwrench on the bolts was a little slow going. Sort of a six-of-one....

Old 12-02-2015, 08:16 AM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 515 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Couldn't you remove it the same way, with the pulley in place? Unthread the bolts with a gearwrench, leave 'em captive behind the pulley, then do the pulley (and bolt) swap on the bench?

I know with the vacuum pump, you can do it either way, and it's about the same amount of work either way. I did one vac pump by removing the pulley first, and the puller was a real tight fit behind the fan shroud. Helped a neighbor do his by doing the pulley on the bench (well, the tailgate...), and working the gearwrench on the bolts was a little slow going. Sort of a six-of-one....
If I remember right, the mounting bracket for the power steering pump is solid with a hole in the center that the shaft and nose of the pump runs threw, so the pulley has to come off. Where the mounting bracket for the vac. pump is open underneath, so it will drop down with the pulley still attached.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:57 PM
Az_Green_Machine
Senior User
Well I found a secret to getting the pump out really quickly

Heading home from a 15 hour day, 1/4 miles from the house I hear a slight clunking noise. Saw that my battery light had come on, pulled in the driveway and discovered that. Luckily I was planning on replacing it tomorrow anyway this made removal quite easy, but now I have to pick up a pully at 8am. Does this mean I won't get my $20 back on the core?

Power steering pump missing pully.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:59 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
How'd your brakes work lol

Old 12-09-2015, 10:03 PM
Az_Green_Machine
Senior User
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
How'd your brakes work lol
Lol like crap. Luckily while researching about the power steering the subject of the brakes came up. I just stepped on the parking brake as I coasted up the driveway.

Quick Reply: Replacing power steering pump