Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Sway-Bar Link Ends

Old 11-30-2015, 12:08 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sway-Bar Link Ends

Hey all
Did a little digging and couldn't find much on this.
I really need to do sway bar link ends, sway bar bushings and tracbar bushings.

When looking for the sway bar link ends online there are numerous shapes and sizes to choose from. I'm trying to make sure i get the right ones. Not sure where they are getting the measurements from or anything like that.
They are for my 2000 F250 SD 4x4

Sway bar link ends, id like to find some grease-able ones in the size i need. Some were straight some bent (mine are bent) but it had a number of different size lengths. How do i measure for the right size ? Sway bar bushings I'm assuming they are measuring the dia of the bar, and on the tracbar ends it should be the outer dia of the bushing correct ?

Old 11-30-2015, 12:43 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,312 Likes on 1,739 Posts
Originally Posted by bakerbuilttracks
Did a little digging and couldn't find much on this.

Hmmm, it might be time to sharpen your shovel. Here's a big load you can dig through:

Please note that while every effort was made to ensure the accuracy of the data I have gathered, organized, and posted below, the data is confined to only cover sway bar end links for model years 1999 -2004. In many instances, I have noted differences between early 1999 models versus 2000-4 model years, since the 1999 model year has some similarities, and yet also has slight distinctions.

The list is in two parts:

A. OPTIONS TO REPLACE SWAY BAR END LINK EYELET BUSHINGS ONLY

B. OPTIONS TO REPLACE ENTIRE SWAY BAR END LINKS WITH BUSHINGS ALREADY PREINSTALLED

No comment is even being attempted to be made regarding "which option is best". I leave that entirely up to the reader to research and determine for themselves. I just think it is helpful enough to have, all the brands, part numbers, kit contents, and price ranges in one master list to make the research for the future FTE member easier. Without further ado...

Part A:

OPTIONS TO REPLACE BUSHINGS ONLY:

Manufacturer: SACHS, (OEM supplier and Division of ZF, manufacturer of major automotive chassis components like transmissions)
Part Number: W0133-1903311
Quantity Required: Four (4)
Estimated Price Range: $27.00 to $39.00 each (x4)
Product Notes: Appear identical to Ford's. Sachs could be Ford's OEM.
Vehicle Applications: 2000-04 Ford Super Duty 4WD F-250 F-350 F450 F-550 + Excursion
Application Restrictions: May or may not fit Early 99 to 99.5, depending on whether Front Stabilizer retrofit is/was performed per earlier era Ford TSB, incorporating a raised sway bar mounting position, axle weldment, and revised end links.
Product Description: An articulating metal bushing encapsulated with grease captured by rubber membranes retained by purple colored wound wire clips.

Brand Name: AC/DELCO (Not the manufacturer. These are rebranded parts from another supplier, likely associated with Raybestos, below)
Part Number: 45G0335
Quantity Required: One (1)
Estimated Price Range: $17.76 to $34.82
Vehicle Applications: 2000-04 Ford Super Duty 4WD F-250 F-350 F450 F-550 + Excursion
Application Restrictions: May or may not fit Early 99 to 99.5, depending on whether Front Stabilizer retrofit is/was performed per earlier era Ford TSB, incorporating a raised sway bar mounting position, axle weldment, and revised end links. If unmodified, then see AC/DELCO 45G0334 below instead.
Product Description: Includes 8 Urethane half flange bushings, 4 shoulder bolts, 4 flange nuts, and 4 washers. (No metal sleeve bushings are included, as the kit uses shoulder bolts in all four positions instead, unlike the 1999 only kit described immediately below)

Brand Name: AC/DELCO (Not the manufacturer. These are rebranded parts from another supplier, likely associated with Raybestos, below)
Part Number: 45G0334
Estimated Prices: $12.66 to $27.41 (Only $12.66 for everything!)
Vehicle Applications: Early 1999 to 1999.5 Ford Super Duty 4WD F-250 F-350 F450 F-550
Application Restrictions: Will NOT fit 2000-04 Ford Super Duty 4WD F-250 F-350 F450 F-550 + Excursion. See AC/DELCO 45G0335 above instead.
Product Description: Includes 8 Urethane half flange bushings, 2 shoulder bolts, 2 flange nuts, 2 washers, 2 metal sleeve bushings for re-utilizing 2 existing bolts, and tops it all off with getting that (music plays) "Great GM fee-e-e-ling..." from fixing the Ford (music continues)"...with Genuine GM Parts!" (ajingle from 30 years ago.)

Manufacturer: RAYBESTOS
Part Number: 5451335
Estimated Price Range: $25.12 to $29.03
Application Restrictions: May not fit Early 99 to 99.5, depending on whether Front Stabilizer retrofit is/was performed per earlier era Ford TSB,
incorporating a raised sway bar mounting position, axle weldment, and revised end links. If unmodified, then see AC/DELCO 45G0334 below instead.
Product Description: Includes 8 Urethane half flange bushings, 4 shoulder bolts, 4 flange nuts, and 4 washers. (No metal sleeve bushings are included, as the kit uses shoulder bolts in all four positions instead, unlike the 1999 only kit described immediately below)

Manufacturer: RAYBESTOS
Part Number: 5451335
Estimated Price Range: $25.12 to $29.03
Application Restrictions: May not fit Early 99 to 99.5, depending on whether Front Stabilizer retrofit is/was performed per earlier era Ford TSB,
incorporating a raised sway bar mounting position, axle weldment, and revised end links. If unmodified, then see AC/DELCO 45G0334 below instead.
Product Description: Includes 8 Urethane bushings, 4 shoulder bolts, 4 flange nuts, and 4 washers.

Manufacturer: PROTHANE MOTION CONTROL (a division of Dee Engineering, Inc.)
Part Number: 6-1166
Estimated Price Range: $35.00 to $45.00
Vehicle Applications: 1999-2004 Ford Super Duty 4WD F-250 F-350 F450 F-550
Application Restrictions: 32mm sway bar axle mount bushings will not fit Excursion, but end link bushings (the subject of this list) will fit. May not fit some early 1999 applications. Prothane does not provide more specific fit up information beyond "1999-2004"
Product Description: Includes 8 Urethane half flange bushings, 4 metal sleeve bushings for through bolts, 4 washers, and 2 U shaped bar bushings. No bolts, no nuts, no brackets are included. The 6-1166 kit appears to be still available in black or red.

Distributer: Diversified Suspension Technologies (DST)
Resellers: Energy Suspenion Products .com and Prothane Suspension Products .com
Manufacturer: PROTHANE MOTION CONTROL
Part Number: 881166
Estimated Price Range: $29.00 to $33.00
Vehicle Applications: 1999-2004 Ford Super Duty 4WD F-250 F-350 F450 F-550 + Excursion
Application Restrictions: May not fit early 1999. Fits sway bar end links with 1.5" nominal bore diameter (which is most 2000-04 F250-550 & Excursion)
Product Description: End link bushings only. Offered in black only. Includes 8 pieces of urethane half flange bushings, 4 rolled sleeves, & 4
washers. Does not include any bolts or nuts.

Manufacturer: ENERGY SUSPENSION
Part Number: 4.5186
Estimated Price Range: $34.00 to $44.00
Vehicle Applications: 2000-2004 Ford Super Duty 4WD F-250 F-350 F450 F-550
Application Restrictions: 32mm sway bar axle mount bushings will not fit Excursion, but end link bushings (the subject of this list) will fit. May not fit some early 1999 applications. See other ENERGY kits listed below for Excursion specific and early 1999 applications
Product Description: Includes 8 Urethane half flange bushings, 4 metal sleeve bushings for through bolts, 4 washers, and 2 U shaped bar bushings. No bolts, no nuts, no brackets are included. Available in two colors. Append part number with "G" for Graphite (black) or "R" for Red.

Part Number: 4.5180
Vehicle Applications: 2000-2005 Ford 4WD Excursion only
Application Restrictions: 36mm sway bar axle mount bushings will not fit F250/350/450/550s, but end link bushings (the subject of this list) will fit except for early 1999 model years. See other ENERGY kits listed below for truck specific and early 1999 applications.
Product Description: Includes 8 Urethane half flange bushings, 4 metal sleeve bushings for through bolts, 4 washers, and 2 U shaped bar bushings. No bolts, no nuts, no brackets are included. Available in two colors. Append part number with "G" for Graphite (black) or "R" for Red.

Part Number: 4.5192
Vehicle Applications: Early 1999 Ford Super Duty 4WD F-250 F-350 F450 F-550 (love the turbo whine of an early '99)
Application Restrictions: Will only fit early 1999 to mid 1999, and that is only if the original sway bar and end links have not been upgraded to a later style, per a now inactive Ford TSB that was issued in 2001 with an available update for early trucks still under warranty at that time.

BUSHING REPLACEMENT KITS NOT LISTED ABOVE:

Deeza #FOL740 (For Rear Axle Only)
Moog #K80086 (For Rear Axle Only)
MevoTech #MK80086 (For Rear Axle Only)

SPECIAL NOTE

The "881166" part number for sway bar end links available from "Energy Suspension Products .com" is not really an Energy product. Here is the story:

First, the cast of characters:

1. Energy Suspension ... the Manufacturer.

2. Energy Suspension Parts . com .... an independent reseller of urethane suspension parts that are not only products made by Energy Suspension, but are also products made by Prothane.

3. Prothane Suspension ... the Manufacturer.

4. Prothane Suspension Parts . com ... an independent reseller of urethane suspension parts that are not only products made by Prothane Suspension, but are also products made by Energy.

1. Some general notes about Energy Suspension the manufacture:

Energy is not affiliated with Prothane. Their parts do not all come off the same boat from China. They are separate manufacturers.

Energy makes kits for 1999, 2000-2004, and 2000-2005 Excursions. Energy does not offer end link bushings in isolation outside of a kit. The black only 881166 kit is not an Energy part number, nor is it an Energy product. All true Energy products are available in black or red.

Energy does not offer a standard kit for these applications that includes a "greaseable" sway bar bushing. Energy does make greaseable uBrackets, but they are not included in any application kit. The tech sales rep at Energy (manufacturer) suggested drilling and tapping the stock U bracket for the axle mounted sway bar mounting, and drilling a 1/8" diameter hole through the Energy bar bushing in line with the drilled and tapped u bracket hole just drilled, and threading in one's own zerk fitting as an alternative to special ordering a greaseable u bracket from Energy. (This paragraph has nothing to do with end links, it's just an FYI).

Energy makes 3 kits for the front sway bar for the listed applications this research applys to. These kits include both the sway bar end link bushings as well as the axle mounted sway bar support bushings, and are as follows:

2000-2005 4WD Excursion, 36mm bar, Part # 4.5180
2000-2004 4WD F250-550, 32mm bar, Part # 4.5186
1999-99.5 4WD F250-550, 32mm bar, Part # 4.5192

Append any Energy part number with "G" for Graphite (black) or "R" for Red.

Energy typically offers three different durometers (hardness of the urethane) in their products, but for the kits Energy has for the applications listed here, Energy only offers one durometer, their most durable/hardest, with a durometer of 88 "tough".

2. Some general notes about Prothane Suspension the manufacturer:

Prothane is not affiliated with Energy. Their parts do not all come off the same boat from China. They are separate manufacturers.

Prothane only makes one kit for all for 1999, 2000-2004, and 2000-2005 Excursions, called the 6-1166. Prothane does not offer an end link only kit that has been sold as part number 881166. That part number is not a valid Prothane part number. Prothane, however, does indeed make the actual bushings in that "invalid" part number. The part number is actually the result of a large reseller (below) breaking up that one and only one kit that Prothane makes for the 1999-2004 Super Duty, which is part number 6-1166.

Unlike Energy who offers three different kits, Prothane only makes one kit for all applications, and that kit includes the axle mounted sway bar bushings for a 32mm diameter bar. Prothane does not offer a 36mm diameter bar kit. For that, one must turn to Energy.

The durometer of the Prothane end link bushings is slightly less than Energy's, with a durometer of 85A for the Prothane, versus Energy's 88.

3 & 4. Some general notes about the resellers called Energy Suspension Parts dot com and Prothane Suspension Parts dot com:

Neither reseller is affiliated with either Energy Suspension or Prothane Suspension, but both resellers are affliated with each other. In fact, the parent company of both resellers is Diversified Suspension Technologies (DST) which itself has no direct affliation with either Energy or Prothane, but is a major distributor of both manufacturer's products.

Anyhow, it is the two DST resellers that breaks up Prothane's 6-1166 kit, removes the sway bar bushings, and resells just the end link bushings as Part number 881166. They further market this part number under both the Energy Suspension Parts .com and the Prothane Suspension Parts .com websites.

The point of this clarification is, if you truly want "Energy" suspension end link bushings with a hardness durometer of 88, then don't order 881166.
Instead, look for and order the applicable and true Energy Suspension part numbers I have enumerated above, in black or in red, and know that you can order any part number from either reseller.

If you have an Excursion, and want true "Energy" you will have to live with receiving a couple of axle mounted sway bar support bushings that are two small at 32mm for your 36mm sway bar.

On the other hand, if you don't mind the Prothane brand name, and don't mind or would actually prefer 3 less points in hardness with a durometer of 88, then either order the full Prothane kit listed below that will include 32mm sway bar support bushings, or for end link bushings only, order the break out kit that DST markets as 881166. Just be aware that these are not Energy bushings, they are Prothane's.

Personally, I doubt that I would be able to feel a difference between the two brands, despite durometer differences, at least when new. Only time can tell if there is a long term durability difference. And one would need to have both kits in hand to determine any metal hardware differences like the sleeve wall thickness, or washer plating and thickness.

Clear as mud? Hope so. I was really confused about this, so I tore into it, calling both manufacturers, to get answers straight from the horses's mouthgs. Once I got it all straight, it seemed like a useful bit of info to share here on FTE.

Part B:

OPTIONS TO REPLACE ENTIRE END LINKS AS AN ASSEMBLY WITH BUSHINGS PREISNSTALLED:

Completely pre-assembled full replacement front sway bar end links for 1999 - 2004 4WD F-250/350/450/550/Excursions.

FORD MOTOR COMPANY:
1C3Z-5K483-BB - Driver Side Front Left
1C3Z-5K483-BA - Passenger Side Front Right
Revision Note: New design effective date June 21 2001.
Pre-Assembled Link Notes: Includes new upper eyelet bolts prepressed into OEM Sachs style bushings with new dished washer heatshield for the upper passenger side.
Application Notes: Not intended for use in early 1999 models as originally equipped, depending on whether Front Stabilizer retrofit is/was performed per earlier era Ford TSB, incorporating a raised sway bar mounting position, axle weldment, and revised end links. If unmodified, see next Ford link below.

FORD MOTOR COMPANY:
F81Z-5K483-BB - Driver Side Front Left
F81Z-5K483-BA - Passenger Side Front Right
Application Note: For 1999 Model year only, unless TSB was applied.

MOTORCRAFT:
MEF-205 - Driver Side Front Left
MEF-206 - Passenger Side Front Right

MOOG:
K80274 - Driver Side Front Left
K80273 - Passenger Side Front Right
Cautionary Note: I would not assume that the parts sold on that eBay link are actually MOOG, even though the numbers "match". This is due to some eBay sellers listing knock off parts by the numbers of better respected brands.

RAYBESTOS:
5451422 - Driver Side Front Left
5451423 - Passenger Side Front Right

ACDELCO
45G0422 - Driver Side Front Left
45G0423 - Passenger Side Front Right
Branding Note: These ACDelco are simply rebranded/repackaged, and not produced by ACDelco. They are in fact the same endlinks as the Raybestos immediately above.

MEVOTECH
MS40805 - Driver Side Front Left
MS40806 - Passenger Side Front Right

Application Note: Unable to confirm with reliable certainty the difference between the MEVOTECH MS40805/6 front swaybar end links that are 14" length with bend, versus the MEVOTECH MS40812/3 front swaybar endlinks listed immediately below that are also 14" length with bend. The MS40806 appears to include the bushing heatshield, whereas the MS40813 does not. Photographs online from merchants cannot be trusted, due to images being "similar to", but not precisely accurate for, the part numbers described. Pricing for the Mevotechs varies very widely, from as little as $13 to as high as $40, so not even cost is a clue of how the part numbers differ. The Mevotech website, a Canadian company, did not produce results when these part numbers were searched for there.

MEVOTECH
MS40812 - Driver Side Front Left
MS40813 - Passenger Side Front Right
Application Note: (see note immediately above)

DORMAN
905-302 - Driver Side Front Left
905-301 - Passenger Side Front Right
Note: MADE IN CHINA https://www.google.com/#q=dorman+905...n+china+amazon

Old 11-30-2015, 03:23 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I updated my E-99 to the later links and got my stuff from the stealership. Long story but I garnered some sympathy from the parts guy and got them for something like $80 a piece. They have ball joints in them but are sealed so greasing them won't be an option.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:48 PM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I ordered the energy suspension kit a while back, but when i went to install my end links have the grease zerk in them rather than the bolt. I can't seem to find the OEM bolts anywhere, can i just use a regular (grade 8?) bolt instead as long as it fits the sleeve? I haven't really looked at it since, but am about to start tearing her down again and would like to get this part of the puzzle done too!

Thanks in advance!