Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

75 F100 4x4 slow build/ daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 10:45 PM
wyrm73
Laughing Gas
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts
Got the Mrs. to help me and tore out the seat, carpet and checked out the floorboards tonight. First off, when did roofing felt paper become an acceptable carpet backing? PO's... sigh

Rust is worse than I had hoped for, but better than most I suppose. Only surface rust on passenger side and a few small holes on the driver side.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:27 PM
Niwrek
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's the same spot mine had rust,,,,,,,just about finished putting in the new patch.
I have a feeling this truck is going to look pretty fine when its done

Old 02-13-2016, 08:31 PM
wyrm73
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by AK FORD GUY
The window looks great.

I can't wait to see how the seats turn out. I think that's the style I want for my truck too. I've been back and forth on seats, it seems, a million times...
Tried test fitting them today and took a picture to give you an idea what they will look like. The "legs" that come stock on the seat are too short to clear the 4x4 transmission hump. It's hard to see in the second picture, but they lack at least 1/2". They might be OK on a 2WD. I am going to take an idea 79 posi gave me in another post and bolt on the seat tracks from the original bench in lieu of the brackets that come on the 95 seat. I'm cleaning them up and give that a shot next.

Old 02-13-2016, 08:36 PM
Jasperrc
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those seats look great!

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-14-2016, 12:04 AM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jasperrc
Those seats look great!
I agree 100%!!!

Now I'll be on the hunt for sure.

wyem73 - If you don't mind, I'd like to steal your picture for my local Craigslist WTB add.

Old 02-14-2016, 01:34 AM
wyrm73
Laughing Gas
Go for it. I dug those out of a 95 F150 Eddie Bauer if that helps. I don't if they were used in other models or not and what years.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:27 AM
1980 Ford F-250
Elder User
My dad has the same exact seats in his 97 f250 powerstroke. Have seen simular seats in the 92-97 F-series and broncos.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:30 AM
wyrm73
Laughing Gas
Since the seats are out and I can't drive it now, of course I finally figure out the turn signals. I had discovered while installing the steering wheel that the horn was not getting power. I put a jumper from the body to the upper part of the steering column and it works, I just never got around to installing a permanent jumper over the steering shaft u-joints. I had an epiphany last night and thought, "I wonder if the lack of power affects the turn signals too?" Turns out it does. I thought the power and ground both came through the wiring harness for the switch- WRONG. So I put a jumper on the lower u-joint and the turn signals worked. Thought I was done until I tested the horn. No joy there. So I took out the first attempt and installed one that runs the full length of the shaft and bypasses both u-joints and viola! Too late at night for pictures, so I will post those tonight when I get off work. Then I will keep working on the seats so I can take that test drive finally!

Old 02-20-2016, 09:28 PM
wyrm73
Laughing Gas
Made a good haul at the local Pick n Pull today. Found a driver's side grill, two front marker light bodies (the metal ones ), bed lamp with switch, glove box light, almost all of the brackets I needed to reinstall the AC, AC compressor clutch, an interval wiper switch and control box, and an intact radio bracket- all from one new 73 F250 they just got in Thursday. I also got a cheap amp and subwoofer out of a 98 Explorer.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:13 PM
axidjw
Elder User
Great job on the build, just got my truck a week ago and been working likes madman on mine as WellPoint luck and I'm def subscribing..
I have a thread with a build going as well.. It's called 75 f100 pics..

Old 02-21-2016, 11:48 PM
wyrm73
Laughing Gas
I forgot to post pictures from the last few days. All of the steering column jumper wires I saw were a different column than what I have, so I had to improvise. On the top u-joint, there was enough threads to add a second nut and attach a ring terminal under it.

On the bottom, I had to cut a ring terminal in half and tuck it under the back side on the u-joint retaining bolt.

I also got the seats permanently mounted. The original tracks were too short in the back and would not clear the raised X in the middle of the cab floorboard under the seats. Also, I would have had to remove the the clamps that hold the rods for the jack. To solve both of these issues, I added a one inch square tube on the back side of the seat between the the two support sections of the seat pan. Overall, the seat sits up a little higher than I would like. But they are very comfortable and I like the look, so I am going to leave them.

Today I installed the new grill. Much better.

Finally, with a couple hours spare to spare and some nice weather, I decided to throw the seat belts back in so I could finally take it for a test drive. I clearly have some work to do on the steering and the header gasket on the passenger side was way worse than I thought. Nothing like a little exhaust high while driving... lol? I had the gasket already so I spent the remainder of the day swapping that out. Now to start the search for the steering to go with my disk brake swap parts that I bought off eBay and kill two birds with one stone.

Old 02-22-2016, 07:49 AM
axidjw
Elder User
Awesome!! Those seats look great in the truck!!

Old 02-22-2016, 11:26 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by axidjw
Awesome!! Those seats look great in the truck!!
X2 on that one man!

Now I just gotta find a set up here. Easier said than done.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:23 AM
wyrm73
Laughing Gas
Found an evaporator this weekend and that was the last piece I needed to start the re-install of the AC removed by the PO. I painted all the brackets and compressor that I had found previously and hopefully will get that all installed soon.

Also found a steering gear on Craigslist today. It came off a 79 and was complete with gear, shaft, Saginaw pump, and lines. Now all I need is the linkage.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:11 PM
hivoltj
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
That's a ford gear style pump

Quick Reply: 75 F100 4x4 slow build/ daily driver