Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

New Headlights??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 01:20 PM
Iowa-Rob
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Headlights??

Looking to put a new headlight setup on the 94 but not sure what to buy.
I still have the stock headlight set-up. Sometimes, if the moon is bright, it's brighter than my headlights.
I would like something that looks trick but also will really light my way.
Anyone done a complete headlight swap upgrade? Have pictures? Where did you buy them? Use LEDs?

Thanks guys!

Old 11-27-2015, 04:56 PM
The_Josh_Bear
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are a few good write-ups on using relays to make your headlights work like they should have in the first place, which is one of my next things to do.
Outside of that I can't tell you much, except whatever you do, AIM your lights properly! Nothing worse than some idiot pickup/jeep driver that isn't smart enough to aim his brighter-than-the-Sun LEDs at the GROUND instead of up in my cab

Old 11-27-2015, 09:45 PM
shorerider16
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are the lenses and reflectors in good shape? If not even factory style replacements would make a big difference. Search on here for the headlight relay mod, it's quite cheap, relatively easy to do and makes a big difference. Depending on what's in your truck now a good quality replacement bulb could also help.

If your driving on a lot of highways and back roads with not a lot of traffic adding an aftermarket led light bar would make a big difference. I've had good luck so far with generic led lights of EBay for reasonable prices. Obviously this option doesn't work so well if your driving in populated areas.

As far as fancy aftermarket lights that replace the factory headlights go I don't know a whole lot.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:00 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
99.999% of aftermarket headlights sold ARE NOT DOT APPROVED, which means they are not allowed for on road use.

they may say dot compliant in the ad, but that is not dot approved.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:25 AM
tecgod13
Logistics Pro
Received 119 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
99.999% of aftermarket headlights sold ARE NOT DOT APPROVED, which means they are not allowed for on road use.

they may say dot compliant in the ad, but that is not dot approved.
True, but that doesn't stop Joe ****** from installing them and blinding everyone else...

I really wish there was some enforcement of bright headlights. I have awesome night vision so I'm continually blinded by oncoming traffic.

With that said... I'll agree adding the headlight relay mod made a world of difference with my '88. That and cleaning up the lenses with one of those headlight polishing kits helped a lot. And please make sure your lights are properly aimed.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:34 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
i really wish they would make it legal to stop those ***holes and be able to smash those damn headlights out of the vehicle

Old 11-28-2015, 11:13 AM
southern-old-bold
Senior User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
i really wish they would make it legal to stop those ***holes and be able to smash those damn headlights out of the vehicle
Seems like it's a problem the world over. Shopping mall carparks must be really dark.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:33 AM
thzpcs
Senior User
You could always add some LED fogs or something if you're only having issues on the back roads. A lot of the LED bulbs really suck, but if you get the right ones, they're amazing. I had a friend install them, and I thought he had done an HID swap! They're really nice as they're brighter, but won't blind people like those jerks who put HIDs into their regular reflector housings and blind everyone.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:15 PM
fordtruckman838
Senior User
Originally Posted by thzpcs
You could always add some LED fogs or something if you're only having issues on the back roads. A lot of the LED bulbs really suck, but if you get the right ones, they're amazing. I had a friend install them, and I thought he had done an HID swap! They're really nice as they're brighter, but won't blind people like those jerks who put HIDs into their regular reflector housings and blind everyone.
Cyclops Adventure sports Long range optimus. Nuff said. I have a set on my Dl-1000 Adv bike and can see our local kamikaze deer at about a 1/4 mile. They have the best lights and best warranty of any led bulb manufacture that I have seen anywhere, bar none. Adding those also halved the number of people pulling out in front of me, makes the bike a lot more visible.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:55 PM
Iowa-Rob
Mountain Pass
Thanks guys for all the replies.

I have not done the relay mod. So maybe we should try that first.
We live out n the country and I'm worried about deer, or cows, or whatever...
I agree that having them aimed helps everyone!!

Old 11-30-2015, 10:06 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was in the same boat as you with the lights. Polishing didnt do a whole lot. So i went with something like this 1992 1996 Ford Bronco F150 F250 F350 "Factory Style" 6P Corner Bumper Head Light | eBay
MUCH better even with the stock bulbs. Quality is as decent as you can expect for chinese. I thought i could do even better with HIDs and projectors. $400 later, the projectors are marginally better than the chinese housings. Also, they are DOT approved, they have the stamp on the lense even. They have a very nice flood quality, and dont blind enemy, i mean other drivers. Lemme see if i can dig up some pics.

The only one i have saved to my albums here, unable to get on facebook currently to get the others.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:54 AM
Paddy Murphy
New User
Bright Lights = Bright Nights.

I went with Recon for all mu lighting needs when i got my F350.

The headlights are awesome when you switch out the bulb in the projector to a HID. Lots of discussions on the HID vs newer LED.

I recently switched my 35w HID 6000K bulbs to an equivalent in LED and was extremely disappointed. I switched back to HID.
If i had my time back i wold have went with the 55w HID ballasts and bulbs.

I also installed a 24" LED Light bar from Recon in the lower Air Dam. What a complete disappointment. After running the truck with it for 5 years and making excuses that the HIDs were out lighting it. I replaced it with a Rough Country 24" LED Light bar.

What a difference. The new light bar washes out the HID's. Then above and below the Ford badge in the grill I dremmeled out the black plastic grill to install an upper and lower 30" light bar from Rough Country. Everyone comments on how sick it looks.

Me im blown away by the light when im off road on an oilfield lease.

Old 11-07-2017, 08:38 PM
Iowa-Rob
Mountain Pass
Paddy do you have any pics of your truck?
We never did do anything.
But then my son wrecked it! Took out the headlights and grill and all.
Doing a bunch of engine mods now. But we will be ready for lights soon...... I hope!