Sponsored by: Moser

Hodgepodge trucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 02:07 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Ever consider shooting oil-based Rustoleum??? It basically requires the same prep as automotive paint though......

I shot this lawn tractor with Rustoleum Signal Orange:

That's about the coolest mower I have seen! That's coming from a Tigers fan!

I have been cautioned that Rust-oleum is not great paint, so I have avoided it.

Old 11-26-2015, 02:20 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by mountain dewd
That's about the coolest mower I have seen! That's coming from a Tigers fan!

I have been cautioned that Rust-oleum is not great paint, so I have avoided it.
Thanks!

I heard that too... that's why the tractor became the test case. It came out pretty good... shot it with a $10 HF paint gun with very little orange peel. What peel there was came out with a lil color sanding. Then I cut and buffed with Meguiar products and topped it off with Mother's pure carnauba. See the shine off the side cowl in the second pic??

The 'trick' is to shoot successive mist coats and to let it tack up about 20 minutes in between so the color coats don't run. I thinned the paint about 25 percent.

Old 11-26-2015, 02:25 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Yeah man! It really does shine! I am also impressed with your camo rig. I saw it on google images some time ago, and I still believe it is the tidiest looking camo job I have seen. Lots of them look pretty cheesy, but that one looks darn good!

I have the same $10 HF gun that I will use. I don't think my little compressor has the volume to do it though. I may have to get one of those upright units.

As an aside, where in Nor Cal are you?

Old 11-26-2015, 02:28 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Old 11-26-2015, 02:43 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm in the Diablo Valley - Concord/Walnut Creek/Pleasant Hill. You?

I used my lil Porter Cable pancake compressor. Didn't need that much volume. Consider the Ingersoll Rand Garage Mate if you want some portability and it'll run air tools. Otherwise, opt for a big boy 60-gallon upright.

My camo job was the result of studying the DoD manual on camo, reviewing numerous online pics, and a trip to Briones Regional Park to observe shades and shadows in densely wooded areas.

I used single-stage to shoot my 68 Mustang back in 1993. It has held up okay but water spots got burned in a few years ago. It rained in the morning and then the sun came out and warmed up fast. I had to cut and buff out the spots and it's thin in a couple of areas. Still looks okay.....These days I would do base coat/clear coat.

Old 11-26-2015, 02:48 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
I know roughly where that is. I am up in Redding, a couple hours yet north of you.

My biggest compressor is probably a little over 10 gallons, not huge though. Thanks for the warning on the single stage issues. Not overly concerned considering this truck will never be much of a show queen.

Old 11-26-2015, 02:55 PM
Notmeofficer
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you drive it over here and mask it we can shoot it at my place.. and I have the "stuff"

I like tractor supply magic paint... works well.. inexpensive.. conducive to outdoor shooting... and they have camo colors now

Yes.. I saw your link.. nice color.. not cheap through at 99 a gallon

I buy paint from RAPCO .. CARC paint... for military look trucks

http://www.rapcoparts.com/manuals.html

about 55 a gallon.. but its the real deal and lasts forever.. its easy to shoot but likes xylene as a reducer..which we can no longer get in California so we have to use the "watered down" CARB version which isnt as good.. but the last truck I shot came out fine

TSC is only 30 a gallon... and you can always wait for the 10 off sale.. hardener is like 12.00 and solvent about 18 a gallon from them

Old 11-26-2015, 03:01 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
I may have to take you up on that. Thank you very much! I used some TSC paint on a boat trailer, turned out pretty good. Did you check out the ebay link I posted in this thread? Really considering that color.

Old 11-26-2015, 03:23 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Notmeofficer
If you drive it over here and mask it we can shoot it at my place.. and I have the "stuff"

I like tractor supply magic paint... works well.. inexpensive.. conducive to outdoor shooting... and they have camo colors now

Yes.. I saw your link.. nice color.. not cheap through at 99 a gallon

I buy paint from RAPCO .. CARC paint... for military look trucks

PAINTS

about 55 a gallon.. but its the real deal and lasts forever.. its easy to shoot but likes xylene as a reducer..which we can no longer get in California so we have to use the "watered down" CARB version which isnt as good.. but the last truck I shot came out fine

TSC is only 30 a gallon... and you can always wait for the 10 off sale.. hardener is like 12.00 and solvent about 18 a gallon from them
The stuff in the link is a kit so it comes complete with the hardener and reducer. I will have to pencil out prices and see which is most cost effective.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:45 PM
Blue and White
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A Rustoleum paint job would really fix it up. The red primer protects well and even sands nicely if you give it time to dry thoroughly. A gallon of primer, a couple gallons of paint plus thinner should get it done for under $100 with a spray rig. There is a long thread running on this topic.