1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1955 F100... I call her Reece.

Old 11-25-2015, 04:47 PM
Aloha-boy
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1955 F100... I call her Reece.

Finally took delivery of my 40th birthday gift from the wife. For now this is more of an introduction, but later I will post up stuff I do to her.

This was the first day we looked at the truck... I went in with low expectations. I went home wishing it was coming with.

Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2015, 04:50 PM
Aloha-boy
Senior User
Couple weeks later the deal was done...

... loaded the U haul trailer and brought it home.

Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2015, 05:00 PM
Aloha-boy
Senior User
Last Sunday...

.... finally in my garage.

Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2015, 05:02 PM
Aloha-boy
Senior User
First question... when closing the hood, the back side doesn't close all the way. I gotta go back and push both sides down. What causes that? Are the hinge springs dead?

Old 11-25-2015, 05:42 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,421 Likes on 1,377 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You're a lucky man, nice truck and an even more special wife. Pretty amazing combination.

Hood closing is all about adjustment. Your first purchase for the truck may need to be the factory shop manual. It will have adjustment procedures to help with that.
That said, the hood hinges on the 53-56 trucks are notorious for being hard to work with, and many guys have gone with the front tilt hood kit to solve the problem.

Old 11-25-2015, 05:47 PM
Aloha-boy
Senior User
Thanks for the reply Wayne! Yeah she's definitely a keeper... the wife of course! :P

Great suggestion on a shop manual and front tilt hood, I will look into both.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:18 PM
FortyNiner
Logistics Pro
Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts
Welcome! Good looking truck and excellent choice in mates. Nothing like a supportative spouse to make the old iron hobby more enjoyable.

The tilt hoods are a fairly involved project - best to work the solutions with the current configuration first. You really want to drive your new beauty for a while before launching a project of any difficulty. With exposure, you'll build a sense of the gotta haves and nice to haves.

Enjoy the Ride!

Old 11-25-2015, 07:42 PM
SDBerg55
Cross-Country
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
That's a beauty! Can't wait to see the progress you make.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:46 PM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts
Alright then lets get some pics of the engine compartment, interior.Also what else you plan to do with it. Most fun is do a little here then drive a little there. Welcome the site.

Old 11-25-2015, 07:52 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Dude, you are one lucky man. You are going to have more fun than you can imagine with that truck. Service manual is great advice, and I would also send, call, or click away for some catalogs from some parts suppliers. There are many. Mid Fifty, Sacramento vintage Ford, C&G, Dennis Carpenter, Summit, are just a few that are proven reliable company's. They all have web sites to get Phone #s, part's, or catalogs, from. Anyway welcome to the site.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:39 PM
Aloha-boy
Senior User
Originally Posted by FortyNiner
Welcome! Good looking truck and excellent choice in mates. Nothing like a supportative spouse to make the old iron hobby more enjoyable.

The tilt hoods are a fairly involved project - best to work the solutions with the current configuration first. You really want to drive your new beauty for a while before launching a project of any difficulty. With exposure, you'll build a sense of the gotta haves and nice to haves.

Enjoy the Ride!
Thanks FortyNiner! Yeah she's supportive to a point... but it's a check and balance thing. I looked at the hood more closely and looks like Wayne was correct. I see a lot of plan where the hinges bolt to the hood. I'll adjust and tighten it up tomorrow or the weekend. I'll take your advice and drive enjoy this thing.

Originally Posted by SDBerg55
That's a beauty! Can't wait to see the progress you make.
Thanks Berg! Planning to mount some wheels I had since high school. It's not everyones cup of tea, but it's mine and I like it.

Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Dude, you are one lucky man. You are going to have more fun than you can imagine with that truck. Service manual is great advice, and I would also send, call, or click away for some catalogs from some parts suppliers. There are many. Mid Fifty, Sacramento vintage Ford, C&G, Dennis Carpenter, Summit, are just a few that are proven reliable company's. They all have web sites to get Phone #s, part's, or catalogs, from. Anyway welcome to the site.
Thanks Jim! I do feel lucky. Service manual is on order from Amazon. Mid Fifty catalog was the first thing I got when the wife gave me the green light to look for a truck. I will check the others you mentioned.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:49 PM
Aloha-boy
Senior User
Originally Posted by artscott61
Alright then lets get some pics of the engine compartment, interior.Also what else you plan to do with it. Most fun is do a little here then drive a little there. Welcome the site.
Thanks Scott! Plan is to go with newer suspension with air. I like to ride smooth and park on the ground.

Ask and you'll receive. Actually I was going to post the motor to see if anyone knows what I have.

Attached Images    
Old 11-26-2015, 12:55 AM
smallello
Laughing Gas
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Welcome! Congrats on the new truck, looks great. You've come to the right place for information, instruction and all around great bunch to help you when you need it.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:59 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,445 Posts
It is what we call a Y-block. If it is the original engine to your '55 then it is a 239. They were painted yellow in 55. Do you think that is original paint? To be sure we would have to see the numbers on the block.

Old 11-26-2015, 12:28 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Welcome You definately have a Y Block but it's hard to ID if it's original. I see it has an alternator (not original). Not sure what carburetor is on it (Holley 2 Barrel?). Air Cleaner and Valve covers have been changed or painted wrong (should be oil bath & color should be Argent). If your engine has been replaced you might find a rebuild tag riveted on the front of passenger side.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1955 F100... I call her Reece.