6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Buying a 2007 F350 with blown headgaskets

Old 11-25-2015, 09:40 AM
Dr.Huxtable
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a 2007 F350 with blown headgaskets

Hey Guys, This is kind of a continuation of the thread I started here, scroll down to see pics of the leakage: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...s-weekend.html

I went and looked at the truck and found it was leaking coolant pretty bad after driving it. I told them I feel like the HG were most likely bad but I could be wrong. They called me back two days later and confirmed that they were indeed bad. I'm not sure what testing was done this time since it wasn't found the first time when the truck was "certified" as fit for sale on their Ford Dealership lot......

But er regardless I'm still considering buying the truck with the problem and having it bulletproofed. If I can get it for cheap enough and then fix it right with the upgraded parts, I could have a truck for the price of what most are selling for stock as-is.

Just a few questions for you though!
1)There is also an oil leak, what are the most common oil leaks on these and should that be of more concern?

2)Whats the chances of cracked heads? I hoped that I could just reuse the heads and have them resurfaced like I've done on other cars in the past. But I called powerstrokehelp about having them do the job and he said they wont reuse them. Anything over 100k or so it's not worth the risk of another future problem. With their service they offer a lifetime warranty. But its somewhere around $7500 + I'm not afraid to fork out the money I just thought it wouldn't be that much

3) Are there any other shops you would recommend to do this job?

Thanks!!

Old 11-25-2015, 09:55 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Not so sure powerstrokehelp is your best option, I'll leave it at that. If the heads are fine, and these engines will go 300 or 400k miles or more, then why is 100k miles the magic number for Bill? People reuse heads all the time if they check out ok.

Oil leak could be a number of things, might even be the rear main with a leak right on the bell housing there, but not that common on the 6.0 from what I have read.
Could be the HPOP cover, could be a turbo line or the turbo, valve cover gasket, could even be the oil cooler migrating back to the rear of the engine and running downhill.......best bet is to trace it back up to where it originates, might take a little digging.
My '03 had a bad ICP sensor, and on the early builds that is located up under the turbo. It looked just like a rear main because of the way it ran down onto the bell housing. It took a few days to clear up but after that I was leak free.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:58 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 275 Likes on 138 Posts
Yeah, so Bill Hewitt isn't exactly the best source for all things Powerstroke. I'd consider other shops local to you in South Carolina. They'll probably charge you half what he wants.

To have my engine, studded, deleted, and resealed cost me $4000. It was totally worth the money too.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:00 AM
navistarnut
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Might check out this thread from KDAVID, gives you a little bit of an idea what he was getting quoted for head work

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...tter-deal.html

Old 11-25-2015, 10:05 AM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Lots of controversy of milling heads, even more so over letting bill the twit hurtit work on it.
Ask the dealer for a price repaired vs unrepaired. Ask them if they will stud it if you supply the stud.
The dealer will be cheeper then good ole bill is my bet.
Oil on the bellhousing is somewhat normal on a 6.0. Most have a little there

Old 11-25-2015, 10:07 AM
Macrosill
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would not go into this truck with the expectations of anything less than a new motor or a major overhaul. With the signs of the dealer being less than honest, blown head gaskets, oil leaks and loosing coolant I would be prepared for the worst. Who knows what else they are not being truthful about or what quick fix snake oil repairs they may have attempted. These types of poor repairs can do more damage then the issue they are trying to fix. Things like radiator stop leak will clog an oil cooler really fast as an example.

Is a new motor needed? Probably not but I would certainly use it as a major repair bargaining chip and be prepared for the worst case scenario. I know this is extreme but I would rather be safe than sorry and have a 6.0 horror story.

Old 11-25-2015, 10:39 AM
Dr.Huxtable
Senior User
Thanks for all the fast replies! Well I just talked to a local shop that works on powerstrokes alot. Wow that guy was super knowledgeable and super super nice. And best part is he's only 20 min from my house! He said that RARELY do we ever have to replace the heads. He has all the seals replaced, guides, has them pressure tested and checks all the valves etc and resurfaces them. He said that I'd be looking at around $4500-4800 for everything. ARP studs, bulletproof egr cooler, updated oil cooler, replaces HPOP fitting and stand pipes etc. Sounds like he'd done a few of these lol

Thanks all for the heads up on powerstrokehelp, i thought that seemed a bit high....

At this point it all comes down to getting the right price. I was thinking of offering 13k-15k? Does that seam reasonable?

Old 11-25-2015, 10:52 AM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Remember the person that talks last loses the best deal.
Have them open with an offer. Then counter to were you fell comfortable. Their first offer is seldom the lowest they will go.

Old 11-25-2015, 11:16 AM
Dr.Huxtable
Senior User
Originally Posted by cheezit
Remember the person that talks last loses the best deal.
Have them open with an offer. Then counter to were you fell comfortable. Their first offer is seldom the lowest they will go.
I actually went with that approach, told them to offer me a number to take the truck as is. He said I'll call you back. 10 Min later he called and said is there a number you'd be willing to offer? I told them I'd have to do some more research and get back with them in a few days

Old 11-25-2015, 12:06 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Play the game at 1/2 price And let them counter.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:11 PM
diesel_dan
Lead Driver
Received 407 Likes on 269 Posts
Pretty typical in negotiations is the: "meet in the middle". So they are asking X, you offer Y and figure you'll end up in the middle of X and Y. Therefore, don't be afraid to make Y a lower offer than you'd first think. As pretty as it is, not too many folks will dive in to a broken truck without plenty of room for the stuff you don't yet know needs fixing... So it isn't like they have a string of buyers out the door.

My motto is: you can always go up, but you can't come down (when buying), so I'd low ball them...

Old 11-25-2015, 02:22 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,373 Likes on 2,076 Posts
Dealer took the truck in at Whole sale price and doubt if he wants to work with you on this. 12K would be my offer because I find another one.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:43 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Dealer took the truck in at Whole sale price and doubt if he wants to work with you on this. 12K would be my offer because I find another one.
It also helps that you want the truck, you don't NEED the truck.

Old 11-25-2015, 02:49 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,373 Likes on 2,076 Posts
Got one down your way Razzi... click here

Old 11-25-2015, 02:53 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Got one down your way Razzi... click here
That's a beautiful truck!

Gotta keep it locked up though, thieves down here love those and the king ranch trucks

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying a 2007 F350 with blown headgaskets