6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

HPFP Issues

Old 11-24-2015, 11:17 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HPFP Issues

So how many people here have had issues with there 6.4 HPFP going
or gone and having a real expensive bill to fix?

Ford says its not a problem , but I found 3 different trucks in my neighborhood , plus 2 shops I talked to said they had done 10 or so each.

That's 24 trucks in my rural area and I haven't even started looking yet?
Sounds like a problem too me?

Old 11-25-2015, 07:23 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
What is Ford saying?

I had the fuel system on my 6.4 replaced at around the 70k mile mark after finding particles in the primary filter. No codes or performance issues. I just presented them with the filter and got a call a week and a half later saying it was ready to pick up.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:15 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
162,000 plus miles on mine. Bought it with 116,000 miles on it. No problems with it. I put additives in every tankful, and I'm real picky where I get my fuel. As cheap as I bought the truck for, a fuel system replacement will damn near double what I have in the truck. The shop that does most of my work for me does a lot of head gaskets on the 6.4, as well as the 6.0's. I'll ask him about fuel system replacements next time I see him, which may be today.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:35 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 973 Likes on 748 Posts
[QUOTE=CampSpringsJohn; I put additives in every tankful, .[/QUOTE]

thats the ticket....you must use a fuel lube additive....STANADYNE DIESEL LUBRICITY FORMULA is the very best

you can put me down for having problems with the high pressure fuel pump as well. found some shavings in the primary fuel pump filter and after changing the filter added some fuel lube to each tankful and so far...no additional shavings. keeping a watch on it.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:52 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
are you talking about

Ford 8C3Z-9A543-DRM High Pressure Injection Pump

Old 11-25-2015, 08:51 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Ford says id enough people complain...................

I wish we could have given you a more favorable response, but as much as we would want to assist our loyal customers with the cost of the repairs outside the usual warranty, only recalls or Customer Satisfaction Programs can permit us to do so. Please be advised that when Ford of Canada recognizes an ongoing issue, a recall or Customer Satisfaction Program (CSP) is put into place. Unfortunately on this case, there are no current programs that could assist you on your request.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:03 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
My buddy has replaced 5 HPFP's at his shop for metal contamination, not the whole system, with not one comeback. They flush the fuel system, and, as he said, maybe an injector or 2, but that should get you going. He said Ford will not do this. They will only do the entire system, as you're finding out.

Old 11-27-2015, 04:40 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's a big risk... If metal finds its way into an injector or back into the pump its gonna be a fun day.

Would hate to have an injector hang and cost me a motor...

Old 11-27-2015, 09:23 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Like I said, they've done 5 and none have come back.

Old 11-27-2015, 09:36 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
That's fine, but its still the wrong way to do it... The reason ford replaces everything (including injectors) is because the water that caused the damage passes through everything... The injectors get damaged just the same that the hpfp does. They may not do much of any damage at all right away, but your friend is on the hook if any of those trucks have an injector hang open. Or if there is a fuel related failure in general. And the only really expensive part aside from the hpfp would be injectors. the fuel cooler, and lines are (relatively) inexpensive compared to having to do it all over again... On his own time and dime.

Just because he has done a couple of them his way and they haven't come back doesn't mean he is doing the job correctly. Its the same as a shop doing head gaskets and not having heads machined. It may work for a few trucks, but its going to come back and bite you at some point.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:08 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Originally Posted by CrazySob
That's fine, but its still the wrong way to do it... The reason ford replaces everything (including injectors) is because the water that caused the damage passes through everything... The injectors get damaged just the same that the hpfp does. They may not do much of any damage at all right away, but your friend is on the hook if any of those trucks have an injector hang open. Or if there is a fuel related failure in general. And the only really expensive part aside from the hpfp would be injectors. the fuel cooler, and lines are (relatively) inexpensive compared to having to do it all over again... On his own time and dime.

Just because he has done a couple of them his way and they haven't come back doesn't mean he is doing the job correctly. Its the same as a shop doing head gaskets and not having heads machined. It may work for a few trucks, but its going to come back and bite you at some point.

Whats to stop the whole process of happening again?
That's my worry , so I fix it but theres nothing to prevent it from happening again in 6 months?

Old 11-27-2015, 10:13 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
116k miles and I have never had a problem with it... How often do you drain the hfcm? How often do you change filters?

Almost every single person I have talked with that have had major fuel system failures can be traced back to not draining the hfcm enough... Especially if you fuel up at random places.
That or people that think its ok to run 15-20k between fuel filter changes. Are you running motorcraft fuel filters?

Old 11-28-2015, 08:05 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
I think the cuase if the low sulfur fuel. I do not believe it lubricates as well as regular sulfur content fuel.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:24 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
I think the cuase if the low sulfur fuel. I do not believe it lubricates as well as regular sulfur content fuel.
By itself it isn't. But, they were suppose to remedy that issue years ago. I know around here, most places get their fuel from one supplier, and, as of a couple years ago, their diesel is a mix of bio-diesel, anywhere from 2% to something like 10%. And from studies I saw several years ago, as little as 2% bio-diesel has plenty of lubrication in it. That bio-diesel mix I'm sure is different depending on who or where it comes from. Some states make it mandatory to label their fuel by cetane, and bio content. Here in KY unfortunately, they are not required to do that.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:36 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by CrazySob

I know it's not Fords way of fixing it. I understand that. But, put yourself in Vinfords shoes. You have a truck that you owe more then it's worth, and you're looking at a repair bill that you can't afford. So, what have you got to loose? Take a gamble, and if it works, then great. You might get a few more years out of the truck. If it fails, well, you lost the couple grand or so to attempt to fix it.

BTW, the owners of those trucks know the risks involved in doing it this way. It's not totally on the shops dime if it doesn't work. They are very thorough, and as I said before, they did replace an injector or 2 in a couple of those repairs. I know if you get an injector hung open, you can ruin the engine real quick.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HPFP Issues