6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

HPFP Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 02:34 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My point was more toward the shop itself... In no way was I trying to accuse or criticize him as a truck owner or person.

There are plenty of shops that do this and don't inform the customer of the risk. I still maintain that if you properly maintain your filters you won't have any problems. We see the exact same issues with GM and Ram.

Old 11-28-2015, 02:44 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 978 Likes on 753 Posts
Originally Posted by CrazySob
My point was more toward the shop itself... In no way was I trying to accuse or criticize him as a truck owner or person.

There are plenty of shops that do this and don't inform the customer of the risk. I still maintain that if you properly maintain your filters you won't have any problems. We see the exact same issues with GM and Ram.
There is no filter between the high pressure fuel pump and the injectors ..,,,which is the fundamental problem.

Old 11-28-2015, 06:23 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I drained my filter 2 or 3 times a month (First truck I've ever owned that I had to crawl underneath on a regular basis) and changed fuel filters every time I changed oil.
Bought my fuel almost exclusively from Husky Oil and used conditioner about every 3 tanks.
So where did the rust and shavings come from.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:12 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
What filters were you running? Are you the original owner?

Old 11-28-2015, 09:38 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Not original owner and I think last filters were Wix

Old 11-29-2015, 07:55 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I think Wix filters are OEM. I know the oil filter is Wix. Remove them from the box and they are identical in every detail.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:09 AM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Does anyone know where I can find out if there's any bulletins or recalls related to this?

Old 11-29-2015, 05:28 PM
CrazySob
Senior User

No, the wix and napa filters are not oem...

They don't have the air bleed nor do they have the anti moisture membrane.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:09 PM
vloney
Postmaster

You do know that there are other reasons for replacing the HPOP,right? I've replaced several because of the VCV, or the PCV going bad.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:22 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
racor makes the oem fuel and oil filters.

Get that wix out of there.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:22 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
My vcv went bad at about 84K but the HPFP part was still fine.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:28 AM
CrazySob
Senior User
Yes I do know that there are other components that can go bad.

When someone has reoccurring hpfp failure though and they tell me that they aren't using motorcraft (racor, motorcraft, and Primeguard are all made by racor and are the same filters) filters its obvious what happened. Water gets through and destroys things.

And you are right, depending on the damage done will determine the fix. If you as me how to go about replacing a failed hpfp on an internet forum I am going to tell you what I would do given a true pump failure. That means metal, rust, AND water have made it through the system. Time for a new hp fuel system, flushed lines, and dropped and cleaned tank. If you ask me what to do given a vcv or pcv failure I am still going to tell you to pull the rails and be damn sure there is no metal. The problem is rust or any other contamination that has made it to the rails. If you find no evidence of contamination then yes, toss out the old and throw the new in. But that hasn't been the question here.

There is always a cause, these parts rarely just "go bad". Yes they can, but the vast majority of the time its because someone let filters go too long, didn't use motorcraft filters, didn't drain the separator at least once a month (I do mine every other Monday), or is careless about the fuel they put in the truck.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:51 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 978 Likes on 753 Posts
There are just too many HPFP failures happening to be blaming anything the owner/operator is doing. This is just a bad design.....no filter between the pump and injectors....AND..locating the HPFP at one of the hottest spots on the engine where formerly the problematic HPOP was located....its seems anything installed within this hots spot is unreliable.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:47 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
To be fair the o4.5-07 hpop almost never failed. 90% of the late model 6.0 pump failures were a misdiagnosis.

As for the hpfp, the heat really isn't what hurts it. It is water........ That's the reason we have 2 filters in the first place. Unlike GM we have a lift pump (the 6.4 fuel system is actually far better than any of the duramax... The new cp4 pumps are great but without a lift pump they really suffer) and that's where the filtering happens. The goal has always been get clean fuel TO the hpfp and let it work from there. The vast majority of the time its not the metal from the grenaded pump that kills things. Its water itself.

And that is my point. I do agree that the HFCM does not hold enough water and that its a pita to drain every other week. But the filtering ability is actually quite good... Remember that Gm and Ram see just as many if not more fuel system failures as we do. You can always add a diesel site filter/separator setup if you want to be extra sure. But out of the 10 or 15 people that I know of who have had a failed pump it was apparent it was due to fuel system neglect. But saying its due to heat/location and trying to relate it to the hpop on the 6.0 makes no sense. The early model hpops were just a poor design and the late model trucks very rarely fail.

Old 12-01-2015, 09:11 AM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Crazy-sob are you a Ford tech?
You seem knowledgeable about these things failing?

Quick Reply: HPFP Issues