1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

New 1960 F100 4x4 Project

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 05:48 AM
thundersnow70
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Very nice looking truck. I love the look of a fridge with a flareside box. What's the deal with the trans shifter? Every one I have seen on fridge/T98 "is t98 correct" is straight. Maybe it just got heated and bent?

If I am wrong on the t98 dont beat me up to bad, I get the herd numbers mixed up from time to time and t98 was the first thing downloaded from the file this morning.

Last edited by thundersnow70; 11-26-2015 at 05:49 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-26-2015, 07:55 AM
Tomget
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice..I'd like to find a 4 wheeler. I see them once in a while.

Old 11-26-2015, 10:46 AM
theodore/teddy
Refyred
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I like that Ranchero too!

Old 11-27-2015, 06:18 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BAD ROD
theodore, I'll probably try polish/wax first. And hold off on paint/clear coat primarily to focus on mechanicals. I would shoot the clear coat and I think its a little cold this time of year. Might want to wait till spring.

The truck has been repainted on the outside of the body. It is decent shape and pretty sure I can save it. I happen to be a fan of old paint. Here' one of my other toys....
Nice ride. I especially like the aftermarket antenna..

Old 11-27-2015, 07:22 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Ya just know minivan drivers lock their doors once he pulls up alongside

Old 11-27-2015, 07:40 AM
hiball3985
Logistics Pro
Received 74 Likes on 64 Posts
That truck was a great find, I really like it. I like the 59 Ranchero too being a Ranchero fan I have a 57.. I remember having that model antenna on many of my old cars in the past LOL

Old 01-29-2016, 11:24 AM
BAD ROD
Junior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
VIN Decode

I decoded my trucks VIN. I get the following....

F10 = F100 Series
J = Engine code (6 Cylinder, 223 126 HP)
0 = 1960 model year
R = San Jose Assembly Plant

Wheel base = 118 inches
Color (no number)
F100 4WD, 5,600 GVWR
Assembled February (B), 23
Ford 3 Speed Manual Transmission
3:89 rear axle 3: 92 front axle
Max GVW LBS 05600
Cert Net HP 126
RPM 4000
DSO 3845 Domestic Special Order

What does it mean to have no number under "color"? This truck was originally ordered by Santa Clara County. Maybe they had it painted safety orange.

The truck currently has a Y-block and 4 speed transmission.

Michael

Old 01-31-2016, 01:51 PM
BAD ROD
Junior User
Tedster, I followed your advice with Mavel's to get the YBlock purring. It worked perfect! This baby runs very well and very smooth. Additionally, I changed the oil, replaced the radiator, hoses and thermostat.

Took the maden voyage yesterday driving the truck for the first time. Ahhhh, my first YBlock experience, won't forget it. Drove it around for about half an hour. In the first 50 feet of driving I got stuck in the mud. Had to lock in the hubs and crawl out in low. Lov'n the 4wd. It's fun to drive. Like the granny 4 speed.

The water pump is leaking and need a few other odds and ends and she'll be back on the road (bleed brakes, good clean up, heater core, windshield wipers, etc).

Old 01-31-2016, 02:27 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Good deal, yep there's no shortage of things to keep ya busy on a 50 or 60 year old truck that's for sure.

The frame won't need too much attention but, that's about it. Lots of folks when they get a "new" rig focus only on going fast and then maybe cosmetics, but experience has shown that "woah!" is just as important as "go!". I like to use my trucks as advertised and they should be at least as safe and reliable as they ever were. Starting the inspection, maintenance, and repair from the dirty side first and working on up is maybe a better way.

Tires, wheel bearings, drums, brakes, steering etc. Get yourself a Motors manual published around 1950, and the Ford Truck shop manual for your particular rig, and that will cover just about everything in detail.

Old 01-31-2016, 05:49 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 588 Likes on 528 Posts
That sure is a nice looking truck. From what I can see of your interior, there are still remains of the column shifter. Really glad you appreciate keeping things sort of as they were. Old stuff is hard to come buy, but you can find new stuff coming in on ships daily!

Wow man, that was really deep! Far out. LOL!!

Old 02-02-2016, 10:07 PM
idaho211
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice looking 4x4!! Nice to see another early Ford 4x4 on the road. I have a Y-block in mine and have great power. One recommendation would be if the truck has been sitting for a while, would be to replace the wheel cylinders, flex lines, etc. One leak is all it takes to have a brake failure with the single resevoir. I like the orange color. I think it would go well with your vintage trailer. Let us know if there is anything we can help with. Good Luck!!

Old 02-04-2016, 10:31 PM
whomrig
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha!! Hmmmm, circus peanut, I like that. **mental note: check DMV for personalized plate "CRSPNUT"**

I'm going to rub out the paint and see where it goes. Wondering if I could clear coat it to protect that gorgeous shade of splendor!

The lack of driver door key hole is interesting too. Quite charming.

Michael
The driver side door key was an option at that time, as was the radio with a round face, passenger sun visor

Old 02-06-2016, 02:38 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Like your truck & nice to see someone wishing to keep her Factory stock.

There are still Laws on the Books in the majority of the States that state that when one Parallel Parks, one Can Not Exit out the Driver-side Door.

These were Fiercely Enforced during the '50s & '60s.

So the Vehicle Manufacturers Only place a Door Lock in the Passenger-side Door.

One then locked the Driver-side Door from the Inside & the Slid Across the Bench-seat, exited the Passenger Door & then Locked the Passenger door.

One of the reasons why Bench-seats were so popular in vehicles during those decades.

No clear coat, Please! It will not last!

Besides, a lot of Elbow Grease will go a long way in keeping that Orange you so love.

Haha!! Hmmmm, circus peanut, I like that. **mental note: check DMV for personalized plate "CRSPNUT"**

I'm going to rub out the paint and see where it goes. Wondering if I could clear coat it to protect that gorgeous shade of splendor!

The lack of driver door key hole is interesting too. Quite charming.

Michael

Old 02-09-2016, 03:55 PM
BAD ROD
Junior User
Tedster, good thoughts on the brake maintenance. I put in a new brake master cylinder. The flex lines look a bit crunchy and should be replaced. I haven’t popped the brake drums off yet.

Spurredon, yep, still has the column shift linkage from the ex-3speed. I too like to keep things original. Or at least modified like it would have been “back in the day”.

Idaho, thanks!! Yeah, I suppose I should replace the brake system. This thing is fun to drive. It’s like a “real” truck, as opposed my last truck which was a brand new powerstroke.

Whomrig, ahh, I’ve seen those round radios. It would fun to hook up a blue tooth sound system. I do have a passenger sun-visor. BTW, I have a radio antenna….wonder why…Maybe there was an under-dash radio at one time.

Col Flashman, wow, funny laws! OK, what’s the scoop on clear coat? I was thinking that I could clear coat the paint to preserve it, albeit, I’m not informed on paint compatibility.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:23 PM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Salutations B.R., no not really, as Streets were rather Narrow because of the previous style of Transport that was available at the time.
Which had Led to Drivers exiting their vehicles on the Drivers-side getting their doors smacked off at the very least, or Run Over by other vehicles on the Narrow Streets at the very worst.
Lacquer base paint is rather hearty, but I would not take the chance unless you wish to have your truck looking like it is shedding its skin like a snake does in a few years like modern vehicles do these days.
Elbow Grease put into a good Waxing & Polishing will go a Long Way in Paint Preservation on a Monthly basis as there are No Short Cuts in preserving our Classic Trucks.

Col Flashman, wow, funny laws! OK, what’s the scoop on clear coat? I was thinking that I could clear coat the paint to preserve it, albeit, I’m not informed on paint compatibility.

Quick Reply: New 1960 F100 4x4 Project