Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recommendation for Battery Jump Starter and Block Heating Device

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 10:39 AM
justplumducky
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommendation for Battery Jump Starter and Block Heating Device

Grateful for recommendation for best battery jump starter. '94 F-250XL GAS 5.8L 200K miles.

Would my truck have a block heater connection as standard equipment or something I'd have to install.

Have heard that a "block heater" that connects to the radiator hose would give heat immediately upon starting engine instead of having to wait for engine to warm up. Those work well?

Old 11-24-2015, 11:21 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No block heater on gas motors.

I used to have one on my 70 F100 years back. Circulating style. Tap into heater hose and lower block plug.

Similar to this:
Amazon.com: Kat's 13100 1000 Watt Aluminum Circulating Tank Heater: Automotive Amazon.com: Kat's 13100 1000 Watt Aluminum Circulating Tank Heater: Automotive

Instant heat in the morning.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:50 PM
Brian Ski 44
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Freightrain
No block heater on gas motors.
Why no block heater???

I have one on my F250. I was going to do a tank that fits in the heater hose line and Kat does not recommend them. Problem is most new vehicles have a heater control valve that shuts off the flow of coolant in the heater hoses. Then it will smoke the circulation tank heater. If you look up the Kat heat application guide it won't list a tank heater.

They also have a tank heater that hooks into a heater hose and then into a drain in the bottom of the block. (like the one you linked to) Problem is the heater is a lot more expensive than a freeze plug heater and they want it mounted low so it does not trap air and burn it out. By the time I would mount it by the frame it was almost under the truck. To me it was a lot of hassle.

I am not much for the radiator hose heater. Once you go so far as to draining all your antifreeze you might as well put in a block heater. It is not very hard to install. Pop out a freeze plug, clean the hole really well with emory cloth to get a good seal and put in the heater. Tighten it carefully so you do not over torque it. It uses a bolt to hold it in place, not to squish the oring. I put mine near the starter so it slightly helps to warm the starter. At really cold temps it needs all the help it can get.

I really don't use mine much unless it gets cold. (below zero) Truck has a rough time starting below -10

http://www.fivestarmanufacturing.com...s_2015_cat_web

Old 11-25-2015, 06:12 AM
justplumducky
Senior User
Originally Posted by Brian Ski 44
Probably he meant that block heaters are not installed on Ford GAS motors as standard original equipment. That was one of my questions: "Would my truck have a block heater connection as standard equipment or something I'd have to install."

Thx for jumping in...

Old 11-25-2015, 07:14 AM
Brian Ski 44
Tuned
Originally Posted by justplumducky
Probably he meant that block heaters are not installed on Ford GAS motors as standard original equipment. That was one of my questions: "Would my truck have a block heater connection as standard equipment or something I'd have to install."

Thx for jumping in...
I follow. Even some of our big diesels did not come with engine heaters. Maybe it would be a special option on gas engines way up north.

Old 11-25-2015, 08:15 AM
justplumducky
Senior User
Originally Posted by Brian Ski 44
Why no block heater???

I have one on my F250. Once you go so far as to draining all your antifreeze you might as well put in a block heater. It is not very hard to install. Pop out a freeze plug, clean the hole really well with emory cloth to get a good seal and put in the heater. Tighten it carefully so you do not over torque it. It uses a bolt to hold it in place, not to squish the oring. I put mine near the starter so it slightly helps to warm the starter. At really cold temps it needs all the help it can get.

I really don't use mine much unless it gets cold. (below zero) Truck has a rough time starting below -10

http://www.fivestarmanufacturing.com...s_2015_cat_web
Does your block heater provide heat in the cab immediately upon start up? That's my objective. If so, how many watts is yours?

Old 11-25-2015, 08:26 PM
Brian Ski 44
Tuned
Originally Posted by justplumducky
Does your block heater provide heat in the cab immediately upon start up? That's my objective. If so, how many watts is yours?
Mine is a 600 watt. Problem is I don't use it unless it is really cold out. It does start right up and from what I remember has warm air, but not like when the engine is warmed up. I have it on a timer and use it when it starts to drop in the single digits. I have the timer to turn on a couple hours before I would start it.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:16 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If your main concern is having heat maybe you should get a remote start, ASSuming you have an auto trans.

Old 11-26-2015, 06:23 AM
GreenMtnMan
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My '87 with a 6.9 came with a block heater. 1000 or 1100 watts. It actually circulates the coolant through convection. The heater will have a little heat at start up. Uses lots of juice if you plug it in stone cold. If the engine is already warmed up it's not too bad.

Old 11-26-2015, 03:00 PM
Bruners4
Elder User
I had a block heater in mine when I got the truck and put in a new one with the rebuilt engine. I get heat out in about 4 blocks of driving after leaving the house. I plug it in when I get home so that it keeps things warmed up. I love it and wouldn't have a truck without out one.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:30 AM
82F100SWB
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
The circ pump style heater is the way to go if you want heat, no heater shut off valve in these trucks, and a standard core plug style heater (which was standard equipment here in the great white north) doesn't put much heat into the heater core, or the rad unless it's plugged in all night.

Old 11-30-2015, 06:19 AM
Bird-Dog 250
Elder User
My 7.3 has a .can looking heater mounted in the side of the block, drivers side.
I think it's factory, and big enough that it could circulate too? I'm spending 2 months on Cape Cod right on the ocean. I'll be using it. Being a southern truck all it's life I'm sure it has never been used1 We'll see... It's already cold enough here that I could use a block heater in my boots!

Old 11-30-2015, 04:50 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bird-Dog 250
My 7.3 has a .can looking heater mounted in the side of the block, drivers side.
I think it's factory, and big enough that it could circulate too? I'm spending 2 months on Cape Cod right on the ocean. I'll be using it. Being a southern truck all it's life I'm sure it has never been used1 We'll see... It's already cold enough here that I could use a block heater in my boots!
That's the oil cooler. The block heater just happens to be inside it. As said above, it "circulates" by convection. There's no pump. 'Course, there's no pump on the Kat's product referenced above - see http://www.fivestarmanufacturing.com..._and_opera.pdf

Old 11-30-2015, 06:22 PM
Bird-Dog 250
Elder User
I'm most likely wrong but I could have sworn there is a 120 volt wire running to it. I'll go under and check it out more carefully. I'll be back

Old 11-30-2015, 06:27 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Bird-Dog 250
I'm most likely wrong but I could have sworn there is a 120 volt wire running to it. I'll go under and check it out more carefully. I'll be back
Yes, the 120-V wire is for the block heater. But the object you're seeing is the oil cooler, which happens to contain the block heater. The heater itself is just a loop heating element.

Gasser trucks, in any event, don't have anything like this. Even the IDI diesels don't have the block heater there. What you're seeing applies to the PSDs only.

Quick Reply: Recommendation for Battery Jump Starter and Block Heating Device