1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

At wits end with stumble?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 09:39 PM
7.3 forever
Fleet Mechanic
Received 156 Likes on 112 Posts
Well if u find out mine does the exact same thing replace sd idm ipr icp efuel and hpop still does it and cps

Old 11-22-2015, 09:53 PM
7.3 forever
Fleet Mechanic
And everything I've done seems to help it for a while

Old 11-22-2015, 10:15 PM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
When my harness melted it threw a code. When my IDM went out it threw a code. If your harness isn't melted. Just replace your glow plugs when they short that's what (I've read) causes the harness to melt. If you do not have any codes I bet your problem is else where. Also when my IDM went out it sounded dry when I shook it.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:43 PM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe there's a difference between shorted vs. loss of connection. I don't think I had a code when my uvch came apart

Old 11-22-2015, 10:54 PM
hdgapeach
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guess I'll know more about it when I crack it open to R&R the glow plugs. Like I mentioned, I will definitely be changing out the gaskets, harnesses and pig tails before the new covers go on just because what I have now is the original parts. That stuff is 18 years old, so there ain't no way I'm not going to replace it no matter how good it looks. I just ain't got that kinda luck!

If that doesn't remedy the problem, I'm down to either the IDM or the friggin' brain box in the fender well. The IDM is doable if it comes down to it but if the computer is crapping out on me, I'm bettin' a replacement one is going to make a scrooge outta me for Christmas!

I'll keep y'all in the loop of how the progression goes. I believe it would've been easier (and maybe cheaper) to trade up in the long run.

Old 11-22-2015, 10:54 PM
7.3 forever
Fleet Mechanic
Also replaced glowplugs and harness on it I've just come to the conclusion I'm gonna half to live with it

Old 11-23-2015, 08:45 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by MOOSE_MACHINE
Maybe there's a difference between shorted vs. loss of connection. I don't think I had a code when my uvch came apart

I didn't either with loss of connection, I was surprised and rechecked with the AE, nothing.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:10 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hdgapeach
Guess I'll know more about it when I crack it open to R&R the glow plugs. Like I mentioned, I will definitely be changing out the gaskets, harnesses and pig tails before the new covers go on just because what I have now is the original parts. That stuff is 18 years old, so there ain't no way I'm not going to replace it no matter how good it looks. I just ain't got that kinda luck!

If that doesn't remedy the problem, I'm down to either the IDM or the friggin' brain box in the fender well. The IDM is doable if it comes down to it but if the computer is crapping out on me, I'm bettin' a replacement one is going to make a scrooge outta me for Christmas!

I'll keep y'all in the loop of how the progression goes. I believe it would've been easier (and maybe cheaper) to trade up in the long run.
Not to say this in any disrespect, but have you checked your oil level as well?

I'd be wiling to bet 5 bucks your VC pins and or UVCH harnesses are toasted out.

If you have not already ordered the parts, I will highly recomment RIFFRAFF as his prices are the best I have found anywhere, net or dealer with discount...

Under Valve Cover Harness 94.5-97
Valve Cover Gasket 94.5-97
Motorcraft Glowplugs ZD-11 - Ford 7.3L (94-03)
Valve Cover Gasket Connector Pigtail 94-97

I would also recommend to pull and replace the CPS and inspect the pigtail to see if there is anything exposed.... You said your RPM is diving... is this in respect to the truck slowing/motor revving down or is the truck revving at a higher rpm than what is being displayed on the dash? If so, its absolutely the CPS or pigtail. Use a OE CPS... the part stores chit is garbage.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:07 AM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Even changing the fuel filter will eliminate the problem for a few days (or even weeks).
Might want to re-check the screen and little white ball. If the fuel bowl can't vent air it has no place to go except the injectors. When my valve cover gaskets and pig tails went I did get a CEL and truck would hardly move. I couldn't see any external damage but once unplugged and valve covers off I was amassed how much damage there was.

Old 11-23-2015, 12:33 PM
hdgapeach
Elder User
Originally Posted by nossliw
Not to say this in any disrespect, but have you checked your oil level as well?

I'd be wiling to bet 5 bucks your VC pins and or UVCH harnesses are toasted out.

If you have not already ordered the parts, I will highly recomment RIFFRAFF as his prices are the best I have found anywhere, net or dealer with discount...

Under Valve Cover Harness 94.5-97
Valve Cover Gasket 94.5-97
Motorcraft Glowplugs ZD-11 - Ford 7.3L (94-03)
Valve Cover Gasket Connector Pigtail 94-97

I would also recommend to pull and replace the CPS and inspect the pigtail to see if there is anything exposed.... You said your RPM is diving... is this in respect to the truck slowing/motor revving down or is the truck revving at a higher rpm than what is being displayed on the dash? If so, its absolutely the CPS or pigtail. Use a OE CPS... the part stores chit is garbage.

Yep, on the oil level. I'm "religious" about checking that and the last oil / filter change was less than 1,000 miles ago. Replaced the fuel filter at the same time and everything still looked new inside since the rebuild (about 1500 miles ago).

I replaced the CPS yesterday with the spare one I had in the glove box. Gotta get me a couple more for the glove box now.....supply done run out! What color is recommended this week for the CPS? There's about three different choices, if I remember right (light grey, dark grey and black).

I have a warm fuzzy feeling it's going to be the UVCH and pig tails. Thanks for the RR links. I'll order them today!

Old 11-23-2015, 12:38 PM
hdgapeach
Elder User
Originally Posted by Hussler
Might want to re-check the screen and little white ball. If the fuel bowl can't vent air it has no place to go except the injectors. When my valve cover gaskets and pig tails went I did get a CEL and truck would hardly move. I couldn't see any external damage but once unplugged and valve covers off I was amassed how much damage there was.
Fuel bowl checked out good when I changed the filter not too long ago. It hadn't been too long since the bowl rebuild and I went ahead and changed the filter again when I changed the oil & filter just to make sure all was still good with the fuel system. Before I rebuilt the bowl, there was a load of crap settled in the bottom. Filter change showed absolutely nothing settled on the bottom, thank God! I was afraid I was fixin' to have to drop the tanks and clean 'em out or replace 'em.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:50 PM
finallyo3gt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the advantage / benefit to switching to the newer, one connection gaskets versus the original, two connection set?

And how complicated is the wiring conversion? I'm not afraid of wiring, just curious about how the wiring matches up. I imagine there's much to see if I do a search in the forum for some threads about the switch, huh?
I did mine, because I had melted harness connectors, so splicing was simply going to happen. It seems to be a superior design. Here's my how to.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:40 PM
hdgapeach
Elder User
Originally Posted by finallyo3gt
I did mine, because I had melted harness connectors, so splicing was simply going to happen. It seems to be a superior design. Here's my how to.
Excellent write up and the photos are the icing on the cake! The decision is made. I'm going with the SD conversion. I appreciate the info! Reps headed your way.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:29 AM
finallyo3gt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent write up and the photos are the icing on the cake! The decision is made. I'm going with the SD conversion. I appreciate the info! Reps headed your way.
Thanks, if you go parts, your pig tails with probably be a different color. Just heads up.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:37 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
x2, so be carefull when matching up wires.

Quick Reply: At wits end with stumble?????