1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

PATS (Theft) system... Do I REALLY Have to?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2015, 11:47 AM
Mr Matthews
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We pulled over to speak to someone we knew at a gas pump. I shut off my engine but never removed the key from the ignition and when I tried to restart... nothing. Several men pushed me down a slight decline and up the same incline(backward) to jump but nothing, like when you try to jump start without turning the key to the correct position. The receiver has been removed and examined with no noticable imperfections. There was some engine work done recently. The engine was removed to check and replace the rod bearings. That work was completed 2 days before the failure.... connected?

Old 11-28-2015, 07:31 AM
Mr Matthews
New User
B1600 No PATS key read by the PCM. This can be caused by the PATS key, the PATS
transceiver, the circuits between the PATS transceiver and the PCM, and/or the PCM.

The Title of this thread is Do I REALLY Have to? Meaning that getting the work done at a "dealership" here will cost more than the truck is worth. Is it possible to have the PCM, Receiver and 2 keys programmed in the States and sent to me?

With the cost being $600 for one key, having to do the work here would effectively mean that my Truck, which I have treasured all these years is worthless now! If it can be shipped to me then I have a limited window of time to get it to someone coming this way.... Please assist if you have answers.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:35 AM
Mr Matthews
New User
Originally Posted by g_k50
I just had this problem, I posted the part number that was replaced by the ford dealer.
I took it first to an independent mechanic suggested by AAA and he pointed me to the dealer.
Problem was fixed but now I'm minus an arm and leg. (hahaha)
Replace with Part Number 1L5Z 15607 AA, cost 59.07
B1600 No PATS key read by the PCM. This can be caused by the PATS key, the PATS
transceiver, the circuits between the PATS transceiver and the PCM, and/or the PCM.

The Title of this thread is Do I REALLY Have to? Meaning that getting the work done at a "dealership" here will cost more than the truck is worth. Is it possible to have the PCM, Receiver and 2 keys programmed in the States and sent to me?

With the cost being $600 for one key, having to do the work here would effectively mean that my Truck, which I have treasured all these years is worthless now! If it can be shipped to me then I have a limited window of time to get it to someone coming this way.... Please assist if you have answers.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:31 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 869 Likes on 721 Posts
That is the part that I have sitting on my table but my understanding is that it would need to be replaced at the dealership so that keys and computer can all be matched/synced up together.
The PATS transceiver is the ring around the ignition cylinder. Its replacement requires no special equipment, it's a simple swap out. No programming is required. If you have it, install it and pray.

Autel Maxdas with Fords software programed on it.
That tool has PATS support built into it.

Additional note: during one of the test we did get a P0232 Fuelpump Secondary Circuit error also.
Ignore it, it's probably due to a stall or other unexpected "glitch".

That work was completed 2 days before the failure.... connected?
Unlikely.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:48 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Originally Posted by wtroger
There is something else going on. A 2002 will run with the key out of the switch once started. You should be able to jump the solenoid and get it to start. So I would start checking electrical circuits before doing the pats replacement. The only reason for dealer involvement is to program keys to the new pats module. Some locksmiths can also do this. If indeed the pats has to be replaced. Might talk to a us dealer and see if they can obtain a new pats module and program new keys for it. And ship it to you.
There's just a lot of incorrect information in this post.

1. There is no PATS module to be reprogrammed, all programming is internal to the PCM itself. This Ranger's PATS system is very simple: The PCM, the key ring transceiver, and the keys.

2. One cannot simply "jump the solenoid" when PATS is triggered as PATS will, on this vehicle, disable BOTH the fuel injectors as well as the starter. It would crank but wouldn't have any fuel to burn.

3. If the key removal inhibit solenoid and the ignition cylinder are both operating correctly, the key cannot be removed unless the cylinder is turned to the LOCK position. If you can remove it in any other position, something is worn out or broken. For any vehicle, if the key can be removed without turning the switch, there will be no effect on the operation of the engine until switched off since that is controlled by the switch, not the key itself.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:52 AM
Mr Matthews
New User
Thank you very much. Just to be clear: Replacing the Receiving unit will require no configuration since my 2 keys and the computer are already synced or if there is a need to resync the computer and keys my unit should do the trick thereby avoiding the need for a dealership. True?

Old 11-28-2015, 09:58 AM
Mr Matthews
New User
Assuming that my understanding is correct, per the last post, is it possible to order just the transceiver unit from Ford?

Old 11-28-2015, 11:02 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Yes, certainly. The part number is in one of the above posts. Costs about $45 from a US dealer. Your cost will, of course vary if purchased locally or if shipped in from the states. It is the only DIY replacement part in the system that does not require reprogramming, assuming it's the actual fault and nothing else has gotten grunged in the process.

FYI, the same part is also used on the 01 Ranger and the 01 & 02 Explorer/Mountaineer, so a junkyard might yield some prospects.

Old 11-28-2015, 12:46 PM
Mr Matthews
New User
Thank you very much.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:37 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Click on the "Vendor List" atop this page to choose & query a Dealer, parts distributor like Rock auto, or a reman parts distributor like Cardone, about the part's you want, like the PATS transceiver, spare key/s & informing them your a FTE member & that might open some doors about out of country shipment & maybe a price advantage too.
Let us know how it goes.

Old 11-30-2015, 08:21 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Neither Rockauto nor Cardone will be able to provide this part, it's a Ford-only item.

For example, Tasca Ford on ebay indicates they ship worldwide. Tasca has been a forum sponsor in the past, don't know current status, they're not in the vendor directory.

Part will run about $45 directly from Ford (shop around, discounts are available), international small flat rate box postage is about $25-30 if you have a family member, friend or an associate mail it to you.

Old 11-30-2015, 09:46 AM
Mr Matthews
New User
I was wanting to find a junkyard ford and scavenge the transceiver off of it just to "make sure". If the part doesnt work, it will still leave me a couple of weeks to try and get other parts before my friend returns from the states.

Question... If it turns out that I need the PCM unit, would it be possible at all to have that shipped?

Old 11-30-2015, 01:07 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
If it turns out that I need the PCM unit, would it be possible at all to have that shipped?
That would be a LOT harder.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:08 PM
Mr Matthews
New User
impossible or harder?

Old 11-30-2015, 08:07 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Not impossible, just way more difficult.

You'd need to do one of two things:

1. By a fresh or remanufactured PCM and several new PATS keys. Have the keys mechanically cut to match your existing key. Install new PCM. Program PATS system using appropriate scan tool.

2. The other idea is out there a ways and probably isn't particularly feasible unless you can find someone stateside with an identically equipped truck.

Quick Reply: PATS (Theft) system... Do I REALLY Have to?