Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

2015 5.0L xmission downshift

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 08:05 PM
Ford-N-floored
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 5.0L xmission downshift

I notice when I accellerate in auto my screen will show the xmission go from 1st to 2nd to 3rd etc. all thru 6, but when I decellerate it goes sequentialy from 6th to 3rd, but then skips 2nd and goes straight to 1st right before I stop. It never goes into 2nd when coming to stop. It does upshift/downshift in the manual mode with no problem. Am I missing something or need to go into the settings again. I see no setting to only delete 2nd gear on the downshift when in auto, so I don't think I accidently did any setting change. This could all be normal also...whadaya' think?

Old 11-21-2015, 06:19 AM
rmccbride
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford-N-floored
I notice when I accellerate in auto my screen will show the xmission go from 1st to 2nd to 3rd etc. all thru 6, but when I decellerate it goes sequentialy from 6th to 3rd, but then skips 2nd and goes straight to 1st right before I stop. It never goes into 2nd when coming to stop. It does upshift/downshift in the manual mode with no problem. Am I missing something or need to go into the settings again. I see no setting to only delete 2nd gear on the downshift when in auto, so I don't think I accidently did any setting change. This could all be normal also...whadaya' think?
I never noticed on mine.. But I would think it normal as when I drive a manual shift I don't go through all the gears when slowing down to stop. On my TR6 I'll slip it into netural than after stopping into first or if the light turns green into what ever gear is right for the speed I'm still going.
But I'll watch my truck and check.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:39 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
There's no setting, your transmission is functioning perfectly normal.

Old 11-23-2015, 06:37 PM
Ford-N-floored
Junior User
I saw there was no "setting" per say in the inst cluster settings that allows you to lockout 2nd gear... but when you engage the PRS system, you effectively are putting settings into the xmission. This allows you to lock out any gear you don't want under certain conditions. I wanted to make sure I didn't accidently delete 2nd gear (or at least on downshift, since like I said, it reads 2nd on the upshift)...but it appears to go back to default when you go into park. With the PRS still engaged and reselecting the gears you deleted when the PRS was engaged you put the "settings" back, thus having all 6 gears again...thnx for all the input...

Old 11-23-2015, 06:41 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
I saw there was no "setting" per say in the inst cluster settings that allows you to lockout 2nd gear... but when you engage the PRS system, you effectively are putting settings into the xmission. This allows you to lock out any gear you don't want under certain conditions. I wanted to make sure I didn't accidently delete 2nd gear (or at least on downshift, since like I said, it reads 2nd on the upshift)...but it appears to go back to default when you go into park. With the PRS still engaged and reselecting the gears you deleted when the PRS was engaged you put the "settings" back, thus having all 6 gears again...thnx for all the input...
I don't think you're understanding this right.

The part you're missing is that P stands for Progressive in PRS. You can't remove any gear you like from the shift pattern, the lockout starts from the top down. You can lock out 6th gear, 6th and 5th, so on and so forth. You can't lock out 2 without also locking out 3, 4, 5, and 6.

You would redline before 35 MPH in this condition. This is the only way you'd lock out second gear.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:04 PM
Ford-N-floored
Junior User
I understand it, maybe not clear in my post...the just of it was why 2nd was missing on downshift and "it's working fine and there are no settings" didn't answer the question...and you are right, it's Progressive, from lockout down. thnx again

Old 11-23-2015, 07:14 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Sounds like we're on the same page. I'm pretty sure mine does the same, I'll take a look on the way to work tomorrow.

Old 11-24-2015, 07:16 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Yup mine does the same thing. 6-5-4-3-1 when coming to a stop. I think transmissions have been doing this for years, but it wasn't until recently that we could see what they were doing.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:27 PM
Scott Stielow16
Junior User
Interesting situation on your 2015 F150 5.0 truck.
I just bought my 2015 XLT 5.0 this last Friday. I did not notice the transmission downshifting in auto, skip 2nd gear, going on to 1st gear on the screen before stopping. I was not paying attention to the screen. I'll keep a eye on the screen tomrrow when i drive, and watch the down shift.
Thanks for the input.
Scott

Old 11-27-2015, 09:37 PM
Scott Stielow16
Junior User
I watched the downshift yesterday , and indeed the transmission does skip 2nd gear during a stop. When starting again the transmission Accelerates in order 1-through 6 normally. I do not think it is a problem during the down shift to stop, missing 2nd gear.
Scott