1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep getting heater core leaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 06:59 PM
J88wagner
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep getting heater core leaks

I've got a 01 sbcc 2wd 5.4 gasser and I've gone thru 3 heater cores in 18 months. Anyone else have this problem? Is there something I'm missing?
Thanks

Old 11-20-2015, 08:09 PM
Wolfboro
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you absolutely sure it is heater core leak ? (a drop in radiator level, antifreeze look and smell ?

Some guys (including myself) experiencing some sort of leak on rainy days and water is ending up at passenger side firewall area (right under heater core ) . In my case, no drop in radiator level for months and A/C drain is working just fine and it is only happening after a heavy rainfall .

Just verify that it is the heater core . Good luck.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:29 PM
J88wagner
5th Wheeling
Yes I'm sure. It's coolant that is leaking out of the heater core box.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:30 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 934 Likes on 575 Posts
Are the barbs where the hoses attach somehow rubbing on the firewall? You didn't mention where exactly the leaks are coming from or if it's the same area each time.
Doesn't seem likely that you'd get 3 bum heater cores, but I suppose it's possible, especially if they're all from the same manufacturer with a quality control problem.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:39 AM
DavidB
Elder User
What coolant are you using?

Old 11-21-2015, 08:12 AM
Chuck's First Ford
Postmaster
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
radiator cap being bad!!! over pressure.. cracking core.. bad thermostat.... but NOT overheating..

both are cheap... they make a tester ... .. do investigation.

I have seen many Mopar factory thermostats.. the tower cracks .. causing a intermittent HIGH heat.. but not overheat..

Old 11-21-2015, 09:35 AM
J88wagner
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Poncho450
Are the barbs where the hoses attach somehow rubbing on the firewall? You didn't mention where exactly the leaks are coming from or if it's the same area each time.
Doesn't seem likely that you'd get 3 bum heater cores, but I suppose it's possible, especially if they're all from the same manufacturer with a quality control problem.
The 1st and 2nd one were leaking at the seam on the side. This last time I had my mechanic install the new one so I didn't see where it was leaking. All 3 times barbs are not touching the sides of the firewall. I put a new motor in my truck last year so the thermostat is new but it could be a pressure issue with the cap.
Thanks

Old 11-21-2015, 09:37 AM
J88wagner
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by DavidB
What coolant are you using?
I think it's Prestone coolant.

Old 11-21-2015, 09:39 AM
J88wagner
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Chuck's First Ford
radiator cap being bad!!! over pressure.. cracking core.. bad thermostat.... but NOT overheating..

both are cheap... they make a tester ... .. do investigation.

I have seen many Mopar factory thermostats.. the tower cracks .. causing a intermittent HIGH heat.. but not overheat..
I'll check that out thanks

Old 11-21-2015, 10:25 AM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Something to check that will seem very odd. I had an employee that had a dodge that ate three heater cores within a couple of months. Him and his mechanic were pulling their hair out. Finally we noticed one day at an idle that his truck was making a soft 'ticking' noise. Like a little spark and that's what it was doing. Sparking from the bottom pulley to the crossmember or rad support or something like that. Turned out the serpentine belt was worn enough/in such away that it was building friction and sparking. This small 'charge of electricity affected nothing else except eating at the heater core. Replaced the serpentine and added some extra grounding too I think just in case and the heater cores stopped grenading.

Probably not your problem but it's the only time I've ever seen/heard of a vehicle eating heater cores within like a week or two, each one.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:47 AM
J88wagner
5th Wheeling
I do think it's a pressure issue. Last week I was having a fuel pump and when I was trying to start my truck I rev'd it up to 4000 rpm. Then later that day the heater core blew. Had it replaced when I had my fuel pump replaced. Yesterday the freeway came to a screeching halt so I pulled into the next lane an accelerated fast. Rev'd it up to 4000 rpm, when I got home I saw coolant leaking from the heater core box again.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:05 AM
Squisher
Laughing Gas
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Well best of luck with sorting it. Be sure to post up what the problem turned out to be. Swapping heater cores is no fun.

My employee was meticulous in the care and maintenance of his '02 dodge diesel and always had all mechanical done by a pro mechanic. I remember when his truck went in for the third heater core in a row that mechanic was pretty tired of ripping that dash apart for free.

Old 11-21-2015, 08:26 PM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Check your motor mounts. I just replaced a heater core for a friend after he had done one about 2 months ago, it was leaking where the lines went into the tank, just like the old one he replaced, found under heavy accel the engine was lifting enough to put pressure on the heater inlet fitting.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:02 PM
J88wagner
5th Wheeling
So I think it was the radiator cap. I replaced it and no problems yet. Now I have another issue. One day after my mechanic replaced the heater core my truck started to misfire after the motor warms up and is under load. No codes and nothing pops up when hooked up to o a scanner. It's been cold in the morning and when I start it up it runs like a top. But after it warms up it start to miss a little, then it gradually gets worse especially when under a load at higher speeds. I thought it was a vacuum hose or something got left unplugged. Anyone have any advice?

Old 12-02-2015, 01:04 PM
SteveH-CO
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
There have been Ford TSBs on heater cores over grounding issues and heater core failures. The short version is that with a bad ground, the heater core becomes part of a 'battery' and the core becomes sacrificial and corrodes out early. You can check the voltage between your radiator and the vehicle ground, and get a sense of what's going on.

Here's an article on this: https://macsworldwide.wordpress.com/...-electrolysis/

The rule of thumb is that electrolysis is possible with a voltage reading of 0.4 or higher, taken with the voltmeter negative lead grounded to the battery and the positive lead suspended in coolant

Quick Reply: Keep getting heater core leaks