Modular V10 (6.8l)  

235k miles, shot my first plug out the head.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 05:15 PM
4x4pwr
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
235k miles, shot my first plug out the head.

Truck is all original. It's had some maintenance but otherwise no major parts replaced...

Shot my first plug out today. Blew my boot completely apart, the threads I am hoping are still in the head so the mechanic can easy out them and fix relatively inexpensive...

I luckily had a few new coil on plugs in the truck so the shop should be able to determine fairly quickly if the truck is salvageable or not.

I was about 300' from the mechanic shop when it blew so I limped it in and shut it down. About the best scenario one could ask I guess.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:34 PM
fordmerc
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When was the last time the plugs were replaced?

Old 11-21-2015, 01:58 AM
4x4pwr
Elder User
Plugs were changed 20k miles ago. Motorcraft plugs.

Old 11-21-2015, 05:32 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4pwr
Plugs were changed 20k miles ago. Motorcraft plugs.
Strikes me as improperly installed. Who did it?

Old 11-21-2015, 09:47 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
That is the DAMNED UGLIEST PLUG I'VE EVER SEEN with only 20K miles on it.

It looks like the inner part of the plug came out of the seat/ground electrode portion.

What the heck, I didn't think Motorcraft plugs were two pieces like that, for the 2-valve heads?!?!?!?

I would run, not walk, to a mechanic who had nothing to do with the last plug change. Unless you did it yourself

Old 11-21-2015, 10:15 AM
truckfella
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
When my rig spit a plug last year, it cost me about $250 for a Timesert repair. All things considered, not bad.

Old 11-21-2015, 11:06 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Krewat

It looks like the inner part of the plug came out of the seat/ground electrode portion.
^This.
Unless it broke after hitting something on the way out, the threads of that plug may still be in the head.
You may get lucky and "easy out" the rest of the plug out of the head. I recommend buying or borrowing a video inspection scope to get a close look at the damage.
If the threads are bad, I recommend the Time Sert repair also. The kit is ~$410 USD new and includes 5 inserts. As someone else posted they paid $250 for the repair; it sounds to me like buying your own kit is the way to go especially if you plan to keep this vehicle. It took me less than an hour to do the Time Sert repair on spark plug hole #2 on my V10 and I had never done it before. That hour also included video scoping the work area and cleaning it at every step of the process.
Mine had previously been repaired with what I suspect was a Heli-coil. "It blew almost immediately" according to the previous owner.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:20 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 818 Likes on 566 Posts
Originally Posted by Krewat
That is the DAMNED UGLIEST PLUG I'VE EVER SEEN with only 20K miles on it.

What the heck, I didn't think Motorcraft plugs were two pieces like that, for the 2-valve heads?!?!?!?

I would run, not walk, to a mechanic who had nothing to do with the last plug change. Unless you did it yourself

^^^This^^^
Something ain't right there, never saw a blown plug that came apart like that.

Old 11-21-2015, 04:33 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
^^^This^^^
Something ain't right there, never saw a blown plug that came apart like that.
Exactly, something ain't right.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:11 PM
4x4pwr
Elder User
Well, I thought the mechanic shop was open on Saturday and that was not the case.... I couldn't wait to see how bad it was because I really needed a ride for Monday. So I went up with my tools and got the truck running again. Looks as though that cylinder was a problem child before as it had already been sleeved.

I unscrewed what was left of the plug from the insert... Put antisieze on the plug threads and threaded a new plug into the insert/sleeve. I put loctite on the sleeve and put it back in the head. Plugged everything in and she started right up. $10 fix. I always had a slight miss at idle... It seems to be gone. So I think I fixed two birds with one stone.

Old 11-23-2015, 08:28 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,391 Likes on 1,100 Posts
That is indeed one ugly plug----would expect that to be original with 235K miles on it!

Not sure what LocTite you used for the sleeve but seems to me most of their products crystallize at 450F or something close----doesn't that negate using it as a thread locker in the head?

BTW glad you got your truck running again!

Old 11-23-2015, 10:47 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by JWA
That is indeed one ugly plug----would expect that to be original with 235K miles on it!

Not sure what LocTite you used for the sleeve but seems to me most of their products crystallize at 450F or something close----doesn't that negate using it as a thread locker in the head?

BTW glad you got your truck running again!
This was my thought also, but the Time Sert kit includes red "high strength" Loctite 266 and the instructions say to use it so I used it on mine too.

I am interested to know how well this repair lasts. Based on my understanding of how the Time Sert insert is installed, I would want a NEW insert installed instead of reusing the old one. The installer tool spreads out the new insert to set it into the head, and the one that was removed may be misshapen.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:20 AM
truckfella
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm certainly no Timesert expert, but I seem to recall the shop which repaired mine saying there are some teeth which get tapped into the head once installed to fully ensure the insert never backs out. Others on here can confirm or deny that statement.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:36 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
No teeth on the Time Sert inserts supplied with my kit.
The insert is slightly beveled at the lower end. If you thread a plug into it before installation you will see that the plug does not fully thread into it. During installation of a Time Sert, there is a specific installer tool that is shaped in such a way as to assist in spreading out the insert to fill the newly tapped threads.
I researched it a bit before I bought the kit and I remember reading about one that does have teeth, maybe it was Lock-N-Stitch? I got the Time Sert kit because of all the good recommendations I saw for the Ford Triton spark plug kit specifically and because of outstanding reviews for all their other kits.

Old 11-25-2015, 01:17 AM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
That insert doesn't look like the Time-Sert insert I used.
The Time-Sert insert is torqued in at 20 ft/lb with hi-temp Loctite on the threads.
One of the installation tools looks like a tap, but pushes that odd spot on the 2nd/3rd thread out into the new threads cut into the head for additional locking force.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: 235k miles, shot my first plug out the head.