6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Possibly buying my first 6.0 this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 10:34 PM
CPB1
Posting Guru
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Huxtable
My thought was coolant level too. But the coolant bottle, radiator hoses, and cap are all brand new. They were replaced by them. Why would a ford dealer replace all of those??? My thought is they were chasing a leak......

The coolant was also green.....

And from the looks of it there used to be a coolant filter that was to the left of the radiator because there was a bracket there but no filter housing.. But besides that the truck honestly drove great! The dealer said they are going to have another look at it tomorrow and call me with what they find.

One question, the only way I've seen to test this is to put a pressure gauge on a hose in line with the smaller hose from the reservoir bottle to the radiator. Then look for spikes in pressure above 16 psi while getting the truck in boost. Or is there a better way?
Coolant level is too high. You would think a Ford dealer would know not to put green coolant in a 6.0

My thought is they were getting rid of the evidence of a problem.

There is another way, maybe not a better way,

Get the engine all the way up to temp with the coolant cap removed. Now there is zero pressure in the system. Put the cap back on and test drive. In theory there should be no pressure in the system after the test drive. If there is excessive pressure and it pukes suspect a problem.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:30 AM
Dr.Huxtable
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PA_Robert
Keep looking. Plenty 6.0's out there. Get yourself an OBD2 adapter and the torque pro app when checking a vehicle out. Besides the visual, the engine vitals are critical to see.

I looked for a while. I was scared of the 6.0 and I read a lot about the legendary 7.3's. The decent 7.3's in the configuration I was looking for were way overpriced. After reading endless information about the 6.0, I decided I'll give a 6.0 a try.

I couldn't be happier with my truck.

I ended up with the truck in my sig for $13k..it's an XLT with 113K miles, but that's just a baseline. lariats and special editions would be more.

I'm more than satisfied with my purchase. If I had to drop $5k on a stud and upgrade job, I would still only be at $18k. And.. I'd know I have a truck good for another few hundred thousand.
Yeah i'll have to keep looking, the problem is i'm looking for a pretty specific truck. Kinda narrows my results

Originally Posted by CPB1
Coolant level is too high. You would think a Ford dealer would know not to put green coolant in a 6.0

My thought is they were getting rid of the evidence of a problem.

There is another way, maybe not a better way,

Get the engine all the way up to temp with the coolant cap removed. Now there is zero pressure in the system. Put the cap back on and test drive. In theory there should be no pressure in the system after the test drive. If there is excessive pressure and it pukes suspect a problem.

Do you really think it could all be just from the coolant level being to high?? My gut feeling tells me its something more..... Again why would the ford dealer choose to replace the degas bottle and cap? But the truck did run great really, I'd have to run the test with the inline gauge before even considering it. But of course the truck is 3 hours away and an annoying drive through the mountains.

I think the previous owner had a tuner on the truck along with an exhaust and the coolant filtration system and knew he was developing a problem. So he traded it in.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:59 AM
Macrosill
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Patience is key. I looked for over 1 year to find the truck that fit my needs. I had specific requirements and they included a CC long bed dually with cloth interior and front 40/20/40 split as well as a healthy 6.0 and was not completely rusted away from being in the north east. Low price was a requirement as well.

Make sure you take your time and check things out thoroughly. You will be much happier in the end.

I looked at a bunch of garbage and got discouraged for a while. I was going to settle on a CC SB SRW but the wife convinced me not to settle for anything less than what I really wanted. After that I chugged ahead and finally found one that was a perfect fit.

I actually found the truck on ebay listed by a dealer in TX but purchased it off the site.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:01 AM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
The coolant level was revised by Ford due to overflowing and resulted in the sticker on the degass bottle.

I haven't used it but I understand the Motorcraft VC-8 SCA (Supplimental Coolant Addative) will turn the gold colored coolant green. It's likely cheaper and less trouble than replacing the coolant and may explain the color. It's possible they just tried to spiff it up a little and aren't terribly knowledgable or didn't expect a customer armed with the knowledge you have.

On the other hand as Gibbs says "trust your gut." If you find out later it does have issues, that would suck. If you can't trust it walk away. There are plenty of these trucks out there and prices are low for what it is.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:27 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 993 Likes on 763 Posts
before you buy a used 6.0 you need to go on youtube and look at a few "6.0 problem" videos. especially the ones from a guy called powerstrokehelp.com.

the basic problem with the 6.0 is that this is an emissions model and as such exposes the engine to a lot of heat, followed by the associated heat failures. not to mention the problems with the fuel system (injectors and pumps) , probally caused by the use of low sulfer fuel with out adding a fuel system lubricant.

the term bullet proofing has been coined as a way of making the 6.0 more reliable which includes bypassing the emission componets.

I would think twice about buying a 6.0 or a 6.4

Old 11-23-2015, 02:18 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Bill Hewitt has changed his tune about the 6.0, they are his preferred truck to buy now...so take his help advice with a grain of salt.

The key is to be patient. There are far more reliable 6.0s out there than not. If I were you I would stay with a 05-07 if you can swing it. There were several updates done in those years and the trucks were far more reliable by then as well.

Good luck with the search, you'll find what you need. If you don't mind me asking what special truck are you looking for that you cant find one?

Sarge

Old 11-23-2015, 03:11 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Im in texas and that is crazy money. I bought my 06 f250 lariat cc swb diesel for like 3k more with 43k 5yrs ago. When i recently had the itch for a new truck they wanted to offer me 13k for it. Truck has 117k on it. The dealer told me a sad story of how they just cant sell those 6.0 trucks because of all the problems they have. Went to another dealer got the same story. So i kept it. Knowing that tactic ill probably keep it indefinitely if thats the case

Old 11-24-2015, 07:17 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
We get the same song and dance up here too...

My truck is an 06 Lariat, Flawless 75000 miles, and the best I could so is 17,500. But I see 05's with 145k on the clock with an asking price of 22-25k. Makes me laugh. Im going to hold out for a second gen update on the 17's and see how they are. I figure if my trucks not worth anything now, it cant be worth any less a few years from now.

Sarge

Old 11-24-2015, 08:57 AM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Truck values seem to hold pretty well here. Mine booked out low $20k private party, and mid to upper $20k retail. Its been such a great truck I couldn't even except an offer for it. I had an offer on it like 2 years ago at the tire shop for $26k or $28k. I just don't know if I'll ever be ready to part with it.

Old 11-24-2015, 09:53 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by jswartz84
Truck values seem to hold pretty well here. Mine booked out low $20k private party, and mid to upper $20k retail. Its been such a great truck I couldn't even except an offer for it. I had an offer on it like 2 years ago at the tire shop for $26k or $28k. I just don't know if I'll ever be ready to part with it.
Im with you,

I had it on CL when I was really serious about buying an new truck, I listed it for 23,500 which I thought was fair, and all I got was you know what a POS that 6.0 is? So I went to the dealer and they would only cough up 17,500. I took the salesman for a walk and showed him the clapped out 05 with a plow on the lot the had listed for sale at 27500. Needless to say we couldn't come close to a deal and the wife wound up with the new car, which Im really ok with.

I like wrenching on my truck and so far it hasn't cost me a bunch of money on "needs"...wants however, you know how that goes!!!

Sarge

Old 11-24-2015, 10:19 AM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Sarge i figure if the 7.3 gets older and has more miles. The 6.4 are a headache the 6.0 trucks will surge in value since as it is now a decent high milage 7.3 like my truck commands $12-15k or more and the 6.7 used with a 100k are at $39k+. Its a supply and deman equation in our favor. The other two may have a "better" engine but the rest of the trucks and drivetrain is junk. I dont see the 6.4 getting a better reputation at this point. They are really expensive to fix and with a short run of production that should keep it that way.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:06 AM
Dr.Huxtable
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarge261
Bill Hewitt has changed his tune about the 6.0, they are his preferred truck to buy now...so take his help advice with a grain of salt.

The key is to be patient. There are far more reliable 6.0s out there than not. If I were you I would stay with a 05-07 if you can swing it. There were several updates done in those years and the trucks were far more reliable by then as well.

Good luck with the search, you'll find what you need. If you don't mind me asking what special truck are you looking for that you cant find one?

Sarge
The prob is I want a truck just like mine but a CC. Black bumpers, black grill, black leather interior. Most every truck I find has gray or tan interior or two tone exterior paint. (nothing against two tone trucks, I just prefer one color!) I'd buy a truck with chrome bumpers and grill and paint them but I cannot find a good one within a 300ish mile radius!

Old 11-25-2015, 10:27 AM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
The outlaw edition, amarillo and harley trucks are the only ones with black leather if i recall correctly. Since you want black the amarillo is out. That to me makes pickins pretty slim for that. Not an impossible feat but it will make finding one difficult. Dealers are going to try to make you pay for any special edition vehicle also. On the other hand king ranch trucks and lariats are plentiful. If you could stand one of those interiors and were willing to possibly paint the lower section your options would open dramatically.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:16 PM
mattdoc88
Elder User
Duplicate post. See next post.

Old 11-25-2015, 12:16 PM
mattdoc88
Elder User
More power to them if they can get that much money for that truck, but I'd probably be more inclined in the less than 20,000 range if fully fixed. Maybe 13,000-15,000 as-is. They'll laugh at you when you offer that, but write your phone number down and hand it to them saying, "give me a call at the end of the year when you want this off your lot." And walk out.
For a data point, I paid 18,500 in Virginia two years ago for an immaculate King Ranch with 170,000 miles on it. 6.0, auto, SRW, 4x4 (FX4), CCLB, fully loaded except sunroof. It had a bed liner, $2000 stereo w/ backup camera, remote starter, tinted windows, rear air bags, front leveling kit, and zero rust.

Quick Reply: Possibly buying my first 6.0 this weekend