Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few questions about my new truck

Old 02-27-2016, 11:17 AM
jk89cat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
irish is right take those pos plugs out and put the correct motorcraft plugs in, the v plugs do not work well in fords, you just wasted 40 bucks , the v plugs tend to melt rings and do not have optimal spark output for the cylinder head design .

Old 02-27-2016, 11:18 AM
The_Drew
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha hide her for as long as possible!

Old 02-27-2016, 11:21 AM
The_Drew
Senior User
Originally Posted by jk89cat
irish is right take those pos plugs out and put the correct motorcraft plugs in, the v plugs do not work well in fords, you just wasted 40 bucks , the v plugs tend to melt rings and do not have optimal spark output for the cylinder head design .
They have the same body and tip as the motorcraft ones I pulled out, it runs no differently. They were only $16 for all of them. Is there a difference internally with them?

Old 02-27-2016, 11:26 AM
jk89cat
Posting Guru
yes they are internally different, the electrode is different , even though they look similar in design

Old 02-28-2016, 12:20 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey man nice truck, saw the sound video and I like the sound.

As far as the crap you've received about running NGK V powers. I've used them for years in cars and small engines, never one single problem. They are a simple NGK resistor (cuts out radio interference) with a V notch in the electrode to promote the spark to go to the outer edge of the electrode. They are copper core sparkplugs. You will not melt the engine internally or any other bull**** I just read. Keep the correct heat range and there will be zero issues. NGK plugs are far from "POS".

If you want to know how good a sparkplug really is put it in a rotary engine...

Old 02-28-2016, 12:27 AM
The_Drew
Senior User
Originally Posted by FordFETruck

As far as the crap you've received about running NGK V powers. I've used them for years in cars and small engines, never one single problem. They are a simple NGK resistor (cuts out radio interference) with a V notch in the electrode to promote the spark to go to the outer edge of the electrode. They are copper core sparkplugs. You will not melt the engine internally or any other bull**** I just read. Keep the correct heat range and there will be zero issues. NGK plugs are far from "POS".

Thanks man I like it. I wasn't too worried about the plugs, they seemed fine to me, thanks for the reassurance.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:32 AM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Dude, I'm digging those backup lights!

I have a similar rear bumper and its rusted to crap. I'm planning on the same. The front chrome bumper is rusted out also, but almost perfect under the headlights, so I'll be cutting that out too for fog lights.

Truck looks great!!

Old 02-28-2016, 12:36 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by The_Drew
Thanks man I like it. I wasn't too worried about the plugs, they seemed fine to me, thanks for the reassurance.
No problem man.

My dad was a master automotive tech for 18 years before he got out of that line of crap, and he primarily worked on Mazda's and foreign vehicles. He worked on a lot of Mazda rotary engines which are extremely hard on spark plugs. NGK's were the only sparkplugs that would take the abuse from those engines, for a while in the 80's the factory in Japan had a shortage of NGK's and they came with champions for a very short period of time. They were fouling right off the ship docks and resulting in cars not starting. Needless to say they found out about that and back to NGK's they went. My dad and his co workers had experimented with all the different brands of plugs in those engines, Bosch wouldn't keep up, Champion, nope, some Autolites were OK, Nippondenso wouldn't really keep up, either. Some of these sparkplugs would blow the electrodes out into the engine, too. If that's not a testimony to NGK then I don't know what is lol. They've been great in every brand of engine I've ever put them in, both automotive and small engine.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:36 AM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
V10 is no Rotary so why would you even suggest stupid stuff like that?

Let me guess you enjoy playing with those rice fed cars

You can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink it, if you choose NGK or something else beyond motor craft then go for it. Last I remember NGK works great in my Honda quads don't recommend that for Ford truck. To each there own!

Old 02-28-2016, 12:40 AM
FordFETruck
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Irish19614x4
V10 is no Rotary so why would you even suggest stupid stuff like that?

Let me guess you enjoy playing with those rice fed cars
Nope, I proudly drive a 10 MPG F250 5-7 days a week.

My mentioning of the rotary engines is the abuse the NGK's will take. Nothing else.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:43 AM
The_Drew
Senior User
No problem man.

My dad was a master automotive tech for 18 years before he got out of that line of crap, and he primarily worked on Mazda's and foreign vehicles. He worked on a lot of Mazda rotary engines which are extremely hard on spark plugs. NGK's were the only sparkplugs that would take the abuse from those engines, for a while in the 80's the factory in Japan had a shortage of NGK's and they came with champions for a very short period of time. They were fouling right off the ship docks and resulting in cars not starting. Needless to say they found out about that and back to NGK's they went. My dad and his co workers had experimented with all the different brands of plugs in those engines, Bosch wouldn't keep up, Champion, nope, some Autolites were OK, Nippondenso wouldn't really keep up, either. Some of these sparkplugs would blow the electrodes out into the engine, too. If that's not a testimony to NGK then I don't know what is lol. They've been great in every brand of engine I've ever put them in, both automotive and small engine.
I like them, that's a pretty good example of their strength, thanks for the background. I've used them in my other trucks/SUVs etc and never had issues.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:43 AM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Nope, I proudly drive a 10 MPG F250 5-7 days a week.

My mentioning of the rotary engines is the abuse the NGK's will take. Nothing else.
But a Ford V10 is not rotary so doesn't even compare regardless the abuse you just don't mate japense foreign **** with American made trucks lol anyways I really don't care it's your truck if it works for you then go for it

Old 02-28-2016, 12:46 AM
The_Drew
Senior User
Originally Posted by timbersteel
Dude, I'm digging those backup lights!

I have a similar rear bumper and its rusted to crap. I'm planning on the same. The front chrome bumper is rusted out also, but almost perfect under the headlights, so I'll be cutting that out too for fog lights.

Truck looks great!!
Thanks man! I love them they are super bright at night. I'll get a picture at night to show the difference with and without them. I look forward to seeing pictures of your lights, post up pictures when you get them installed!

Old 02-28-2016, 12:47 AM
Irish19614x4
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Irish19614x4
But a Ford V10 is not rotary so doesn't even compare regardless the abuse you just don't mate japense foreign **** with American made trucks lol anyways I really don't care it's your truck if it works for you then go for it
Oh and for the record rotary motors will take a lot of abuse so I don't think it has anything to do with the plug choice, I'm not hating I know rotary is solid

Old 02-28-2016, 01:28 PM
jk89cat
Posting Guru

keep them in your lawnmowers, no reason for them to ever be under the hood of any ford product, ever , they simply don't work. and don't question what I am saying without knowing my background, and my experiences . I am factory trained tech with racing and hp experience, seen personally 4 engines with destroyed rings because of these plugs. they do not work well with ford ignition systems, definite issue with a cop style as well

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A few questions about my new truck