Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Show this to all of your Powerstroke friends

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 07:00 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
I really don't see anyone taking a beating over what they picked.

Seems to be a very tame discussion to me.

I think the only one that is getting beat on is the EPA.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 11-22-2015, 08:34 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RoyWalker
So CSJohn, do you agree with this guy or not? (not sure where you were coming from) Are you pro or con about 6.0L Diesels?
This snake oil guy said basically, to BUY a 2005-2007 6.0 PSD and bullet proof it; then you'd be way ahead.
I did not watch the video. I've seen enough of his already. He does make some good points in some of his videos, but he's not the god he thinks he is. As for a 6.0, yes, I'd buy one and have it tuned, studded, and deleted. No question about it. But, I also see nothing wrong with a V-10 if it'll do what you need it to do. In a nutshell, it boils down to what do you want? How much do you have to spend? The 6.0's like to be run hard, remember that.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:36 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Yahiko
I really don't see anyone taking a beating over what they picked.

Seems to be a very tame discussion to me.

I think the only one that is getting beat on is the EPA.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder
You're right! I've seen much worse. Guess I was caught off guard to see that it's still going on! The gas vs diesel debates!

Old 11-22-2015, 08:45 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by CampSpringsJohn
You're right! I've seen much worse. Guess I was caught off guard to see that it's still going on! The gas vs diesel debates!
I never argue to be demeaning, mean, put someone down, or any of it. I just like a good friendly argument/conversation of opinions and self serving "facts". Especially when people are willing to engage, even if the argument/conversation won't end. Ha.

Old 11-22-2015, 11:59 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Just think what this thread could be like back in the 70's.
All drivers with Gas drivers with pitch forks Vs the EPA.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 11-23-2015, 09:10 AM
RoyWalker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kentucky John, what'd you exactly mean by this?
"The 6.0's like to be run hard, remember that." That means it just cleans everything out? blows it out to keep everything running well? Me blowing it out by running it 80-100mph every now and then, would that be enough? Or do you mean pulling big weight and/or carrying a heavy load?

Being from Ky, you'd think I'd know more about such stuff, but I barely know how to change the oil. My first car back in '73 was a '72 Monte Carlo; loved that car. Drove it around Bowling Green quite a bit.

I had to google Melbourne, maybe not a well known town in the BlueGrass. You're practically in the Ohio R. I'm from Adair County. Read your Mt. Lion killed in Paris. Whoa! Can hardly believe they're around. That was a dang good sized one too.

Thanks for the help. I'm leaning toward the extra power of the Diesel. We'll see. Keep your powder dry.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:23 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Adair County is the south western part of the state if I remember correctly. I'm 12 miles from the Ohio river at Cincinnati. About 3 miles from the river if I could go straight east from here.

Getting back to the 6.0. They have a VGT turbo, which basically means the vanes in the turbo move to increase boost as needed. If driven slow like an old man all the time, those vanes get soot build up on them and will not work properly. If that happens, a rebuild or replacement is needed. So, when I drive my Dads truck, I just stomp on the pedal when I get to a hill and make it work. Can't do that from a standstill unless you want to leave tire marks! A quick run from 40 to 80 does the trick though.

The Mountain Lion though, I saw one behind my house, and was told I was crazy. My neighbor saw one a few months later. I've talked to too many people that have seen them to know they are here. I set up a game camera, but haven't got any pictures.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:28 AM
RoyWalker
Junior User
Adair is south central, btw Bowl Grn and Somerset.
When I was 13, Dad drove me down to Paris, seemed like it was way down in a bottom, down a curvy road. He was checking out antiques.
Freakin' Mt Lion's like Bigfoot, you'll catch'em on that game trail.
Going to check out that 6.0L right now in the big city.

Old 11-23-2015, 09:43 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Adair is south central, btw Bowl Grn and Somerset.
When I was 13, Dad drove me down to Paris, seemed like it was way down in a bottom, down a curvy road. He was checking out antiques.
Freakin' Mt Lion's like Bigfoot, you'll catch'em on that game trail.
Going to check out that 6.0L right now in the big city.
You must've been near Russell Springs. Been there a few times.

Hope the 6.0 is a good truck!

Old 11-23-2015, 01:20 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Kentucky John, what'd you exactly mean by this?
"The 6.0's like to be run hard, remember that." That means it just cleans everything out? blows it out to keep everything running well? Me blowing it out by running it 80-100mph every now and then, would that be enough? Or do you mean pulling big weight and/or carrying a heavy load?

Being from Ky, you'd think I'd know more about such stuff, but I barely know how to change the oil. My first car back in '73 was a '72 Monte Carlo; loved that car. Drove it around Bowling Green quite a bit.

I had to google Melbourne, maybe not a well known town in the BlueGrass. You're practically in the Ohio R. I'm from Adair County. Read your Mt. Lion killed in Paris. Whoa! Can hardly believe they're around. That was a dang good sized one too.

Thanks for the help. I'm leaning toward the extra power of the Diesel. We'll see. Keep your powder dry.
I have this nice hill that is freeway near my home that I see about every other week. At the bottom I take the off ramp and then
go right back on. Mash the peddle to the floor and hold it. I only make it half way up that hill and I have to back off getting too
close to 80 and still have more left in it. The hill is about 1/3 mile long or there about. The other way to clean things out is from a
dead stop and just mash it. Little too hard on tires for my money. The last option is if you own or have access to the Ford IDS/VCM2
you can just run the turbo test sequence. It runs a full sweep and watches the pressures. It will tell you if you passed or not.
Just don't run that test in a quiet neighborhood at 1AM you might get an ear full from the old lady.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 11-23-2015, 01:26 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Yahiko
I have this nice hill that is freeway near my home that I see about every other week. At the bottom I take the off ramp and then
go right back on. Mash the peddle to the floor and hold it. I only make it half way up that hill and I have to back off getting too
close to 80 and still have more left in it. The hill is about 1/3 mile long or there about. The other way to clean things out is from a
dead stop and just mash it. Little too hard on tires for my money. The last option is if you own or have access to the Ford IDS/VCM2
you can just run the turbo test sequence. It runs a full sweep and watches the pressures. It will tell you if you passed or not.
Just don't run that test in a quiet neighborhood at 1AM you might get an ear full from the old lady.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder
This isn't experience talking, is it?!!

Old 11-23-2015, 01:48 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Sort of.
When I was a kid I have a Baja Bug and I was told to not start it
and work on it past 9PM by my Mom and Dad. That was a long time ago.
But the truck when running that test does ramp up and whistle.

I have had loud vehicles almost all my life so I have learned.

Sean

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 05-13-2016, 01:39 PM
superkaz
Junior User
I'm coming from a 6.0 2003 that was the Baddest Truck on the Planet when I bought it ! 25000 Miles Later it started falling apart ! I was the 03 6.0 BETA Truck for EDGE ELECTRONIC PERFORMANCE , ATS PERFORMANCE TRANSMISSIONS AND CONVERTERS , Not to mention a bunch of smaller companies !!! It made 560 rwhp 980 rwtq with Stock Turbo on Methanol and ran 12.80's Coasting at 1000' from 1800+ EGT'S .
I Then put a 2006 bullet proofed motor in it next , Not to mention the 6 ATS Transmission and Convertors I went through !!! I could go on for weeks ,but I won't too.
Now I'm Still on my 1st Full Tank of Fuel on my V-10 so I'm just a Newbie Again......................

Old 05-14-2016, 10:34 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
When you start making close to double the horsepower and torque of stock you are going to go through parts and have failures no matter what engine it is.

Back in 04' when I was looking for a new truck I looked at 6.0l trucks as they were a dime a dozen on dealer lots compared to V10 trucks. There was no way I was ordering an 05' because I know all too well the issues Ford has with the first couple years after a redesign. I needed something reliable over the long term and would not cost me money over the long term. At that time the 6.0l did not fit that bill and even today it really doesn't. Too many bone stock trucks sitting at dealers for months waiting to be repaired.(for those that have a short memory) Luckily I managed to find a V10 on the lot not too far away pretty darn close to how I wanted it and drove home with it in Aug of 04'. Still have the truck and it is still serving me well with minimal money input to keep it going.

Old 08-01-2016, 12:22 AM
AllAboutDaZ
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf
When you start making close to double the horsepower and torque of stock you are going to go through parts and have failures no matter what engine it is.

Back in 04' when I was looking for a new truck I looked at 6.0l trucks as they were a dime a dozen on dealer lots compared to V10 trucks. There was no way I was ordering an 05' because I know all too well the issues Ford has with the first couple years after a redesign. I needed something reliable over the long term and would not cost me money over the long term. At that time the 6.0l did not fit that bill and even today it really doesn't. Too many bone stock trucks sitting at dealers for months waiting to be repaired.(for those that have a short memory) Luckily I managed to find a V10 on the lot not too far away pretty darn close to how I wanted it and drove home with it in Aug of 04'. Still have the truck and it is still serving me well with minimal money input to keep it going.

Glad to hear, I have gad a couple v10s and have only had to do minimal maintenance repairs compared to my buddies in their diesel's.

Quick Reply: Show this to all of your Powerstroke friends