Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spring swap.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:06 PM
NMSU_RRAggie
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Spring swap.

Please excuse my ignorance. While i have read just about everything about "how to" on here, there isn't really a "why did you" do your spring swap. In my reading the greatest benefit was for towing.

What are the benefits of doing a V/modified B swap?

Better ride? Lift?

It's not something I could/should do myself so I would have to pay someone to do it, which I am not opposed to. I just want to be clear in my mind as to what the benefits would be.

Why did you do yours? What were the benefits?

Old 11-19-2015, 01:09 PM
Twitchyleprechaun
Posting Guru
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
My stock springs were worn out and needed replacing anyway. I opted for the X/C codes so I could handle hauling around a little more and get some lift out of it.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:22 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by NMSU_RRAggie
Please excuse my ignorance. While i have read just about everything about "how to" on here, there isn't really a "why did you" do your spring swap. In my reading the greatest benefit was for towing.

What are the benefits of doing a V/modified B swap?
It was developed to eliminate the Excursion Steering Wander that is common to the 4x4 Excursions. It was done for safety reasons.

Stewart

Old 11-19-2015, 02:09 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Same as the previous two replies - I wanted the steering wander/passive rear steer gone, a firmer ride, increased towing capacity, and some more height for bigger tires.

Come taxes I'll be swapping to X and C-XL's, V/B-mod isn't cutting it anymore.

Old 11-19-2015, 02:22 PM
holeshotwalt
Posting Guru
I did mine for an increase in suspension travel in the front- the stock springs only allow (check your axle to bumpstop) inches, and when you hit any bumps or irregularities in the street/hiway, the suspension bottoms out.
When you hit a railroad track diagonally on the freeway at 70, and it feels like someone detonated an I.E.D. under the vehicle, moving you a full lane over; that's where the safety comes in! Much more control and peace of mind.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:40 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 791 Likes on 554 Posts
I was fortunate that my Ex when bought at 65k miles didn't have any of the infamous wander at all when running unloaded, however with our toyhauler (9500lbs) hitched up it was nearly uncontrollable! The rear springs were completely overwhelmed and the trailer would push the tail around at will. And of course it did bottom out the front pretty easily on any substantial dips or bumps.
My goals were to run 35" tires (because that's what I think looks right and to proper scale on these wagons) and have it handle the heavier trailer better and ride as close to level while towing.
My modded X (B code overload leaf added) and modded B codes (with the F-350 tapered blocks and a few extra bits....) gave me the height needed for the 35"s (+3 7/8" front and +4.5"+ rear) and totally changed the personality and ride of the EX for the better. The ride is now much more controlled and firm vs the soft mushy stock setup. And it now handles the trailer's weight and influence far better, like a 3/4 ton truck should.
The spring swap on my EX was like getting a new more capable truck that rides much better with no more bottoming out.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:50 PM
NMSU_RRAggie
Mountain Pass
Thank you all for your input, it's much appreciated. The PO had air bags installed, and used it primarily for towing a boat. They did not have the Helwig sway bar on back, I added that. As for wander there isn't much and the ride seems pretty solid. Is there a way I can tell if maybe the PO installed different springs?

Are there any identifying marks on the springs. I swear my EX looks taller than most looking at pictures of rigs not modded.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:58 PM
NMSU_RRAggie
Mountain Pass
Maybe I'm just nuts?

Old 11-19-2015, 07:08 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Maybe you are nuts, it would help you to fit in around here if you are.

Check out this thread and take your measurement to confirm where you are ride height wise. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...easurents.html
A picture or two of your springs will also help us to see if they appear to be stockers or something else.

Nice looking EX.

Old 11-19-2015, 08:02 PM
NMSU_RRAggie
Mountain Pass
Will post ASAP, thanks for the help all.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:25 PM
NMSU_RRAggie
Mountain Pass
(Not completely Level)

Front 22.5/23.5
Rear 25/25 (air bags might be fuller than i though)

Front Spring Code

Rear,Front view

Part Number

Rear, Rear View

Old 11-20-2015, 01:51 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ Both are stock, the fronts are 350 lbs/in, the rears are 380 lbs/in. The later Excursions had 410-430 lbs/in in the rear.

Not all Excursions wandered, mine did but it wasn't spring related. Between greasing the ball joints, front end alignment and adjusting the steering box I resolved my wander issue. It's not always that easy. I did upgrade my springs because I didn't like hitting the front jounce bumpers any longer.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:53 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Rear springs look to be stockers along with the factory EX blocks.
Try contacting Rob Ross for help deciphering the spring numbers, he has done some great detective work with them here.

EDIT: And I was typing that Rob was already supplying the info! This place and it's members are awesome!

Old 11-20-2015, 03:36 PM
RobRoss
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Rear springs look to be stockers along with the factory EX blocks.
Try contacting Rob Ross for help deciphering the spring numbers, he has done some great detective work with them here.

EDIT: And I was typing that Rob was already supplying the info! This place and it's members are awesome!
Ha! Our posts are 2 minutes a part!

Old 11-20-2015, 05:15 PM
NMSU_RRAggie
Mountain Pass
Best place to purchase springs? I'll need someone who can help a novice get the right set up. I am thinking the V for front and mod b for the rear as I do not what it to rough but want to increase my safety factor for towing, do you order the mod B?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spring swap.