1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Using vintage plates

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2015, 09:47 AM
fordf348
Laughing Gas
Received 158 Likes on 92 Posts
Old 11-19-2015, 09:52 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
In Tennessee you can register an antique automobile (motorcycle or truck) with YOM plates or issued plates. You have the option of using YOM plates without registering them as long as you carry the issued plate in the vehicle. Registration of an antique Automobile is a one time fee of $27.75.
I do wonder though about what the different requirements and laws are in other states, because I know that probably 50% of the vehicles in TN with Antique plates are in violation of the law.

ANTIQUE MOTOR VEHICLE LAW

Antique Motor Vehicles.
Per Tennessee Code Ann. § 55-4-111, a person may register a vehicle as an “antique motor vehicle” providing that certain requirements are satisfied. The vehicle:
• Must be a motor vehicle over twenty-five (25) years old and have a non-modified engine and body,
• Can be used for participation in, or transportation to and from, club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar uses as a collector’s item,
• Can only be used for general transportation on Saturday and Sunday, and
• Can be used on any day for the purpose of selling, vehicle testing, or obtaining repairs to or doing maintenance on the vehicle

Old 11-19-2015, 09:59 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 763 Likes on 373 Posts
Joe, Boy that "non-modified engine and body" would exclude just about everything.
Missouri is much more lax. We have a one time fee about the same as Tennesee and here are our requirements:
A vehicle that is registered as a historic vehicle may be driven:

1. To and from exhibitions and educational events without any mileage limitation;
2. To repair facilities within a 100 mile limit; and
3. Up to 1,000 miles per year for personal use.

The owner is responsible for keeping a log of the miles driven for personal use each calendar year. The log must be kept in the vehicle when the vehicle is being driven on any state road.

Old 11-19-2015, 10:29 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Well, I just looked at Arizona law an it looks pretty close to TN. From form 40-9803 here is part of the requirements for Historical plates.
A motor vehicle made from what is commonly known as a “kit” or “replica kit”, or which is reconstructed so that the basic vehicle is not as originally manufactured, does not qualify.
That sounds like changing the frame and drive train is 'reconstructed so that....'.

Old 11-19-2015, 11:12 AM
GLR
FTE Legend
Received 851 Likes on 769 Posts
In NY and VA, if you have vintage plates you are restricted very much as to your travels. Mostly to and from car shows and x number of miles from home.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:14 PM
Grey Beard
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In Mass. you are at the mercy of the Registry. You may use YOM (year of manufacture) plates if;
They have not been repainted and are legible and in a match set as determined by the RMV lady.
They do not need to be the same as your vehicle. ie:a car plate can go on a truck and a truck plate can go on a car.
Your vehicle will still need a safety inspection yearly. $35
The yearly renewal sticker does NOT have to be afixed to the plate.
They will charge you a $25 plate fee even though you have a plate
They cost $70 per year for renewal
You are NOT restricted in miles or distance however, "the vehicle cannot be used in the furtherance of business". I take that to mean, that if you own a landscape company you can't transport your lawnmowers from job to job.
Honestly, the only times I've been stopped the cop wanted to check out the old truck. I guess that isn't so bad after all !

Old 11-19-2015, 02:38 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by harleymsn
Well, I just looked at Arizona law an it looks pretty close to TN. From form 40-9803 here is part of the requirements for Historical plates.
A motor vehicle made from what is commonly known as a “kit” or “replica kit”, or which is reconstructed so that the basic vehicle is not as originally manufactured, does not qualify.
That sounds like changing the frame and drive train is 'reconstructed so that....'.
That is if you want to use a historic plate which is a plate that is currently made. In my case I'm using an old plate that is available. I have some plates that were on my vehicles 30 years ago, if the number is not active I could put them on one of my new vehicles. What I did with my 52 is the same thing.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:59 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by Rimrock F1
That is if you want to use a historic plate which is a plate that is currently made. In my case I'm using an old plate that is available. I have some plates that were on my vehicles 30 years ago, if the number is not active I could put them on one of my new vehicles. What I did with my 52 is the same thing.
Actually that form is the one you use to use YOM plates.
http://www.azdot.gov/docs/default-so...3.pdf?sfvrsn=0

If you own or lease a motor vehicle which is eligible for either Classic Car plates or Historic Vehicle plates as defined in Arizona law, and you possess a license plate previously issued by this state which has a plate year that corresponds to the vehicle model year when the vehicle was manufactured, then you may apply for authorization to use the plate for registration of the vehicle. If you lease the vehicle but it is not registered in your name, a document showing you as a lessee is required.
The plate must be legible, serviceable, and must not conflict with an existing plate series, and must be painted in the colors as originally manufactured. The vehicle on which the plate will be displayed cannot conflict with the plate type (e.g., motorcycle plate on a passenger vehicle, or truck plate on a car or motorcycle).

Old 11-19-2015, 06:08 PM
Rimrock F1
Posting Guru
[QUOTE=harleymsn;15805027]Actually that form is the one you use to use YOM plates.
http://www.azdot.gov/docs/default-so...3.pdf?sfvrsn=0

Yes you can use the form you refer to or just go down to DMV, we did not fill out a form. My link was just to check if the plate number you have is in use. Enter your number in the box at the bottom of the page.

Thanks for the clarification on the page if someone wants to fill out the form.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:16 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnydevil55
ABE - Lots of us in Pennsylvania use vintage plates. Next time you're at a car show keep an eye out!
Hmmm, didn't know that. Thanks. I have a 54 truck plate. What do we have to do to use one?

Edit: I posted this before I saw fordf348 link to the PA laws.

Old 11-19-2015, 07:45 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

The only thing the PennDOT webpage says about Vintage plates is: it must be an authentic PA license plate in the year of manufacture of the vehicle and it must be for vehicles from 1906 to 1976. It costs $75 for vehicle registration and a $75 vintage plate application fee. Sounds pretty simple.....

Old 11-19-2015, 09:52 PM
26tudor
Mountain Pass
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Abe,
I took a copy of the original plate I wanted to use to the local tag and title place they sent it into penn dot got approved paid the one time fee of 75.00 now I have the plate for as long as I own the vehicle. I got my plates from a guy at Hershey and he guarantee's that the numbers are clear and Penn Dot will approve them.
Jim

Old 11-19-2015, 09:53 PM
fordf348
Laughing Gas
Received 158 Likes on 92 Posts
[QUOTE=abe;15805261]The only thing the PennDOT webpage says about Vintage plates is: it must be an authentic PA license plate in the year of manufacture of the vehicle and it must be for vehicles from 1906 to 1976. It costs $75 for vehicle registration and a $75 vintage plate application fee. Sounds pretty simple.....[/QUOTE

That's what I thought

Old 11-19-2015, 09:56 PM
26tudor
Mountain Pass
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
It is pretty simple I had mine approved in about 2 weeks which is a miracle for Penn Dot.
Jim

Old 11-19-2015, 10:25 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Originally Posted by 26tudor
It is pretty simple I had mine approved in about 2 weeks which is a miracle for Penn Dot.
Jim
Are there restrictions on now much and when you can drive the vehicle like there is with antique tags?

Quick Reply: Using vintage plates