1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

dumb front axle question... reversible???

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 04:11 PM
johnson.jeff.a
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dumb front axle question... reversible???

Ok. So I've made a mistake. I've been taking pictures along the way, but I just realized that I don't know which side of my axle was driver and which side was passenger.

It is the original straight axle (55 f100), and as near as I can tell, it is the same on both ends.

Is there a way to tell front from back or driver from passenger? I've got top v bottom nailed

Old 11-18-2015, 04:43 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
The angle of the king pins vs the spring perch is not 90 degrees.

With the spring perch (where the spring sits on the axle) perfectly flat (0 degrees) the king pins should tilt back slightly. Thus giving it a positive caster angle.

It's not much, 2 degrees.

The angle of this picture makes it look wrong, but it isn't:

Attached Images  

Last edited by EffieTrucker; 11-18-2015 at 05:31 PM. Reason: Added picture
Old 11-18-2015, 10:15 PM
johnson.jeff.a
Senior User
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
The angle of the king pins vs the spring perch is not 90 degrees.

With the spring perch (where the spring sits on the axle) perfectly flat (0 degrees) the king pins should tilt back slightly. Thus giving it a positive caster angle.

It's not much, 2 degrees.

The angle of this picture makes it look wrong, but it isn't:
Excellent information! My measurement tools aren't helping me work it out yet, but I've been wanting an upgrade there. I'm sure I can get it. Thanks!

Old 11-18-2015, 11:17 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 857 Likes on 456 Posts
An iPhone, if you use one, makes a pretty good torpedo level. It's part of the compass app in the utility folder.

Old 11-21-2015, 12:51 PM
johnson.jeff.a
Senior User
Ok. Spent the last 45 minutes with a angle measure wheel, torpedo level, level on my phone to set the spring perch at 0 degrees and then measure the angle of the kingpin (placing kingpin through axel and then measuring angle of the portion that sticks out from axel).

Probably due to the quality of my tools, I am not able to get measurements that make it definitively obvious to me, but I did get consistent enough readings to make a guess. I then started examining the axel for any sort of indication that might confirm my guess. I only found one difference, highlighted in the pictures below.

Anyone who might be able to confirm my guess, offer additional thoughts on how I can further confirm my guess (or who may be able to for me)... much appreciated.

Basically, the only difference I see is in the casting stamps on both ends. There is one on either side. The casting is the same EXCEPT the character closest to the kingpin. On one end it is a "J" that is upside down (turned 180 degrees) and on the other end it is a "7".

My measurements (crude though they may be) led me to determine that the side with the turned "J" is front. So that casting would be on the front of the passenger side, while the casting with the 7 is on the back of the drivers side.

Old 11-21-2015, 01:04 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
There are no such thing as a dumb question

I made the same misstake...

There are not front and back. the angle beetween the spring mounting surface and the king pin (mounted with locking pin tightend) is exactly 90 degree

DinnerHill SpeedShop: Front suspension, final assembly.

Old 11-21-2015, 01:24 PM
johnson.jeff.a
Senior User
well, that would certainly explain why I couldn't consistently measure an angle on the kingpin. Adding two that a couple of pictures I just dug seem to indicate that I've found a more definitive answer, and my guess was completely wrong....

One side is clearly the driver side (drag link present), and I'm not seeing a cast stamp on the front of the axle.... in the second pic is clearly the passenger side (no drag link) and there is an obvious cast number on the front of the axle.... It looks like the "7" noted in my last note is in that stamp... So that would mean that the "7" casting was on the front of my axle on the passenger side, before I took it apart

Old 11-21-2015, 02:25 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
On my axle the number where mirrored, so they where on the same place front and back but mirrored.. ie always right rear or left front ( or if it was the other way around....

Old 11-21-2015, 02:55 PM
Brian~50F3
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My axle also had the part number on both sides too. So to identify front/back on my 50 (may be different on 55?), the hole for the locking pin on the king pin is beveled; or it is larger on one side and the pin will only go in correctly on one side and cannot go all the way through. That make sense? The larger side goes to the front, and the pin when installed is nearly flush... Hope that helps

Old 11-21-2015, 08:04 PM
johnson.jeff.a
Senior User
Originally Posted by Brian~50F3
My axle also had the part number on both sides too. So to identify front/back on my 50 (may be different on 55?), the hole for the locking pin on the king pin is beveled; or it is larger on one side and the pin will only go in correctly on one side and cannot go all the way through. That make sense? The larger side goes to the front, and the pin when installed is nearly flush... Hope that helps
Well, how about that! Holes looked to be the same size, but if I actually try to insert pins, they do only go in one way... Pretty cool. Confirmed my latest conclusion. Great stuff!

Thanks, Brian!

Old 11-22-2015, 03:18 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru

Hey what tires are that??

Any more pictures from outside??

Old 11-22-2015, 01:19 PM
Brian~50F3
Senior User
Tires are STA Super Transport 750-17, 8-ply. Got them from Coker Tire through Summit (free shipping)

https://www.cokertire.com/sta-super-...rt-750-17.html

Coker Tire 710161 - Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing

Old 11-22-2015, 02:44 PM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
Now thats a cool looking tire.

How does it feel to drive?

It was available in 670-15 as I want, byt name "sta super transport"

Your was "sta super transport highway"

Do you know what the difference is?

Old 11-22-2015, 04:53 PM
Brian~50F3
Senior User
I'm about a year from the first drive. So only know how it rolls in/out of the garage; which is great!

I have no idea what the difference is, could prob call sta and see?

Old 11-24-2015, 04:13 AM
jimcar-9
Posting Guru
I'm about a year from the first drive. So only know how it rolls in/out of the garage; which is great!

I have no idea what the difference is, could prob call sta and see?
Man that tire is really good looking but the sidewall to thread pattern doesn´t at all look the same on the 670-15 tires thats almost completley smooth......bummer

the 700-15 looks abit closer to yours......

750-17 isnt that abit to large to fit on our trucks. What about draglink to tire clearence??

Quick Reply: dumb front axle question... reversible???