6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Hate My Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 05:41 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hate My Wheels

I recently bought my 2016 6.7 F250 off the lot. I love the Truck every which way, except for the Wheels. The Plastic covered Alloy Rims are really bugging me, and begging to be replaced. I have been looking at some Black Alloy Rims that would look really Sharp on my Truck, but I want to make sure that I buy the proper ones that will fit. I know that I need 20 X 9", 8 Lug X 170, but what is Offset, and how is it measured. Also can the TP Modules from the stock rims be used on Custom Rims. Please excuse my Ignorance TNX

Old 11-17-2015, 06:51 PM
tony montana 42
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually like those wheels, I will swap you my king ranch wheels for them, I can't stand them lol

Old 11-17-2015, 08:16 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
Visit your dealer parts department now and then and see if new take-offs are available. The few times I have been to my dealer, they have a had a set of new take-offs for less than $800 for factory tires and 20" rims. Had I even been close to needing new tires at any of those visits, and had the $800, I would have bought them. I understand that many dealers will put new take-offs for sale in the parts department when a customer specs custom wheels before delivery.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:55 PM
98x50
Junior User
I wasn't wild about them first either, but I made black inserts to put in the indent (reminds you more now of a Platinum or KR wheel, except brighter due to the chrome) and that satisfied me enough to keep them. I'm a fan of aftermarket wheels, but most seem to look better in wider widths that end up less than ideal for heavy towing. I'm also someone who hates any extra dirt thrown on his Tuxedo (fragile) black paint!

Old 11-17-2015, 09:12 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
I think putting some different tires on those rims would make a big difference.

BTW... Be very careful when selecting AM rims. I've seen some really bad ones including extreme offset that made the truck look horrible.

Good luck....

Old 11-17-2015, 10:37 PM
Jus2shy
Elder User
You will most likely have a positive offset north of 20mm. Many OEM trucks are in the 45 - 60 mm positive offset range. Many aftermarket rims have a typical offset of 18-20mm, 0mm, or a negative offset for those deep-dish wheel-sticking-out bro-dozer type look. Though I own a different brand of truck, I'm looking at aftermarket rims with around 20mm positive offset and about 1 inch wider so I can mount a wider tire to the rim. Just so I can get better flotation on sand when I drive on the beach. 0mm offsets tend to stick out quite a bit. Negative offsets even more.

Also, if you do any hauling or towing, look at the vendor ratings for the aftermarket wheels. Just because they have 8 lugs don't mean they can handle the 7,000 lbs you could conceivably put on your rear axle.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:51 PM
yamaguy
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 98x50
I wasn't wild about them first either, but I made black inserts to put in the indent (reminds you more now of a Platinum or KR wheel, except brighter due to the chrome) and that satisfied me enough to keep them. I'm a fan of aftermarket wheels, but most seem to look better in wider widths that end up less than ideal for heavy towing. I'm also someone who hates any extra dirt thrown on his Tuxedo (fragile) black paint!
Good idea, any pics of your wheels??

Old 11-18-2015, 05:53 AM
my_crib_too
Cargo Master
Received 1,183 Likes on 364 Posts
Craig's list, Ebay are great sources for OEM take-offs. I have these same wheels on my truck and don't mind them at all. Cleanup easy, shine, look good enough. But had I ordered the truck, I would have spent a little more for the better wheels.

Bruce

Old 11-18-2015, 07:08 AM
98x50
Junior User

Originally Posted by yamaguy
Good idea, any pics of your wheels??

Old 11-18-2015, 07:12 AM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
If you can't find specs anywhere for your stock wheels you can pull one off and figure out the backspacing.

Lay a straight edge across the back side of the tire and measure from the straight edge to the mounting surface, then measure from the straight edge to the outermost part of the inner wheel lip. Subtract the 2nd number from the first and you have backspace. Now you need to wheel width to figure out offset which is the relation of the mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel (from lip to lip).

Old 11-18-2015, 07:43 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Get a set of Platinum wheels.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:12 AM
22rimfire
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Be careful if you go to aftermarket wheels concerning weight ratings. As I understand it, the OEM's are "Hub centric", meaning the hub takes weight, whereas many aftermarket wheels are "Lug centric", and not able to handle as much. If you don't haul heavy, it may not matter but it's something to keep in mind. Someone with more knowledge than I may chime in and add more details.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:21 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,194 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
Get a set of Platinum wheels.

This^^^^^

I got a set of new take off Platinum wheels off eBay for 1k delivered. The TMPS sensors swapped right over. (They are bolt in.)

Old 11-18-2015, 01:21 PM
rlanicek
Junior User
Originally Posted by PlayersZ28
If you can't find specs anywhere for your stock wheels you can pull one off and figure out the backspacing.

<s>Lay a straight edge across theback side of the tire</s><s></s><s>and measure from the straight edge to the mounting surface, then</s> measure from the straight edge to the outermost part of the innerwheel lip. <s>Subtract the 2nd number from the first</s> and you havebackspace. Now you need to wheel width to figure out offset which is therelation of the mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel (from lip tolip).

Wouldn't this be more accurate?

Old 11-18-2015, 02:39 PM
Painted Horse
Logistics Pro
Received 2,566 Likes on 731 Posts
I had the cast wheels on my 2011 and since they were pretty new to Ford at the time, I enjoyed them, But as the years went by, Soon you were seeing those wheels everywhere.

So when I bought my 2015 truck, I spec'd the cheapest wheels/tires Ford would put on. This saved me the $1300 Ford charges for the 20" wheels and the other money Ford charges for the Chrome package. So I figured I saved about $2000 on what Ford would have charged me. The dealer would give $800 for the OEM wheels. But I sold them on a local website, took all of 2 days to sell them.

I ran over to Les Schwab Tires the day I bought the truck, They had new Ultra Predator wheels and Toyo A/T2 tires waiting for me. Cost was $2800, So I basically broke even and have a + sized tire of my choice and the wheels of my choice.

The OEM wheels are 20"x 8" My after market wheels are 20" x 9" and I think they are a +12 Offset ( they are a 12, I just can't remember if they were + or -)

The Ford OEM wheels are rated at 3500 lbs per wheel. The Ultra Predator wheels are rated at 3640 lbs. So slightly higher than the Factory OEM wheels.

Even with tires that are two sizes bigger than the Ford tires. (295/65R20) I have no rubbing.

I'm old school. I wanted chrome wheels. I guess it dates back to my days in high school in the 60's. But these Ultra wheels are Chrome on the outside, But black on the inside, So the chrome reflects the black color. Satisfied my old school and didn't offend my nephew and his big truck friends who all favor the blacked out look.

The slightly wider wheel and offset, does throw more mud up the side of my truck. I noticed this when I hauled horses down to Bryce and several other Ford Trucks with stock tires/wheels were clean on the sides and my truck was filthy.

Quick Reply: Hate My Wheels