Project Thunderhorn: Second Generation Bronco Build - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Project Thunderhorn: Second Generation Bronco Build

Old 04-10-2016, 06:08 PM
Posting Guru

mountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant future
Just let me know about the fenders, the price is right!
Old 04-20-2016, 10:21 AM
Senior User

Thunderhorn is starting off with a positive reputation.
Alright so been doing a lot of little on the Bronco, cleaned up alot inside and out. Pulled my speedometer cable to asses my it wasn't working, turned out to be the tip where it goes into the dash is broken. been around town and no-one sells them so looks like LMC gets that business. Ill order a new dome light from them while i'm at it. pulled apart my dash cluster too to find out why the lights weren't working. that turned out to be the plastic itself that the cluster is made of was deteriorating bad (pics 1-3). So I just pulled out the cluster from white and switched them since Whites cluster was good but the wiring is bad. now all the lights in black work great and white isn't any worse than it already was!
Also pulled the booster from white and put it on black to see if that would fix my vacuum leak problem (the one that I THOUGHT was fixed with the new check valve but wasn't) Well the booster from White DID fix it so I pulled it back off Black, put it back on White, and ordered a new Master and Booster for Black!

So far besides purchase price I have spent: $34 on 4 new U-bolts, $10 on a new Brake booster check valve, And $117 on the new booster/master + paint and brake fluid. and FREE dash instrument cluster. Not bad but that is already more than I can afford right now so at this point I would be pretty stuck until after the wedding and after getting settled in Oregon.
However, during this time I also received the letter I have been waiting for from the State which says that I am eligible to retire that Nissan I have been trying to get rid of forever now! So if everything goes according to plan, I will be going to piknpull this Friday, turning in the Nissan, and walking away with 1500 bucks! Most of that will have to go to paying off the credit card and towards the wedding but I should have enough left over for my rear drive-line and a few other goodies. Next purchases will be the driveline, speedo cable, dome light, maybe seat covers, and just maybe I will splurge on some lights that ive always wanted but also always said i had better things to spend money on.
Also, after picnpull we will continue north up to Oregon for the weekend where i have an interview for an engine mechanic. If i were to get the job it would take a huge load off my mind and we would just need housing to finish loose ends. I hope to order my parts while we are up there so they will be on their way when we get home. Cant wait till Friday!
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2016, 10:45 AM
Senior User

Well, posting from a motel 6 on the side of I-5 about 50 miles from Eugene where my hobo brother broke down on his way down from Washington. I've got my interview today but after that I guess we will work on trying to figure out whats wrong with his truck.

Good news though, I got the 1500 bucks for the Nissan! and I own only Fords now as it should be! (besides my motorcycles) When Ford comes out with a 450cc single I will put one in my dual sport though. Anyway, my hobo seems to been having fuel starvation issues and now he cant go faster than 45 and only that for a few seconds before it starts cutting out.
This one is his 1975 F-250 Custom, 390 hooked to a C6. Its a pretty cool truck but its in rough shape. Lets say its been used thoroughly. lots of cancer too. but I still cant help but loving these dentsides in pretty much any condition.
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2016, 08:57 PM
New User

19highboy73 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I never realized you did so much to this rig to get it going. when you still lived at Mom and dad's I just figured you didn't know what you where doing and that's why it took so long, now that I've read this my hat is off to you. Bravo bro!
Old 04-24-2016, 09:10 AM
Senior User

So we pulled the carb apart on the 75 to try and clean out the gunk hoping to fix the problem. It took us a few hours on account of the less than ideal conditions and it didnt end up fixing the problem. next is points and cap and rotor since theres nothing left in the fuel system :P Hope it works this time, fingers crossed. I dont suppose anyone can pick up a fellow Ford Fan from Oregon if it doesnt work?
Attached Images

Old 04-24-2016, 10:16 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorn View Post
So we pulled the carb apart on the 75 to try and clean out the gunk hoping to fix the problem. It took us a few hours on account of the less than ideal conditions and it didnt end up fixing the problem. next is points and cap and rotor since theres nothing left in the fuel system :P Hope it works this time, fingers crossed. I dont suppose anyone can pick up a fellow Ford Fan from Oregon if it doesnt work?
Tipical Oregon weather it dumped rain off an on while we were working on the carb. Thus far I've cleaned out the carb replaced fuel lines, replaced fuel pump, dropped fuel tank and drained it for good measure, replaced fuel filter, cleaned air cleaner, replaced coil and non of it has made a difference. Extremely frustrating.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:19 AM
Posting Guru

mountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant futuremountain dewd has a brilliant future
Did you change the points and condenser yet? Check to make sure you are getting spark and that it is a nice blue one, not yellow or orange.
Old 04-24-2016, 02:33 PM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain dewd View Post
Did you change the points and condenser yet? Check to make sure you are getting spark and that it is a nice blue one, not yellow or orange.
I just replaced the condenser, cap and rotor and still no change. I'm confused on the points, I bought points but when I took a look at what's in the distributor it doesn't seem to have a regular points system not actually sure what it is. Should have had my brother put up a picture to see if anyone recognizes it. Also I checked my spark and it's a good blue spark as it should be.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:41 AM
Senior User

So we ran out of time and never did figure out what was wrong with his truck, ended up giving him a ride home with us and trusting his truck to be parked at some guys business lot. Hopefully it wont get towed and or dismantled.
So having picked up my brother and brought him to Quincy, he still had no way to get to Placerville. except for taking one of my trucks! which as it happened, worked out pretty well. since i needed to get White down to Placerville anyway I let him drive it down where it will stay at my parents property for awhile until I can do something with it/ find a home in Oregon with plenty of parking. I have never driven it more than around town or in the hills so I was pretty nervous about it making the 170 mile trip without me there to keep an eye on all its quirks. Anyway, it did make it without any incident so now I am down to just Black, one motorcyle, and the wife's 2 cars. Also rescuing my brother has put a hold on ordering my parts since the whole trip ended up being way more expensive than planned. Step by step though...
Old 04-26-2016, 01:13 AM
Posting Guru

Bubba Jones has a good reputation on FTE.Bubba Jones has a good reputation on FTE.Bubba Jones has a good reputation on FTE.
Well that's good it made it down! I know how it is having things be put on hold.... however despite all the holds I had, I'm getting through my project much quicker than I thought!
Old 05-18-2016, 11:39 AM
Senior User

Alright, only time for a quick update that is way overdue. The wedding is a week and a half away now so its been crazy. Okay, so the big one is that i got my drive-line and yoke and installed (Looks pleasantly out of place under there) I've also given my hitch receiver a bit of love and am fixing up some old toolboxes to keep valuables in when the top is off. Also got ONE of the many lights i was going to get and am very pleased with it.
The only real problems now are: Mounting the hitch receiver, need to modify my roof rack, mount that light I got, and a big one... I have a cracked radius arm bracket that I think I will just weld right now. the bushing is toast but I cant afford (time or money) to fix it right at the moment. I just hope it lasts till Oregon.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2016, 09:08 AM
Senior User

Well, Sometimes life is a real B. And the struggle is real. So since my last update many things have happened that have really put the project on hold. In a nutshell I couldn't bring either bronco to Oregon, we are totally out of money, and we have 8 more months on our lease at an apartment where I will never be able to work on the project. Optimistically I may be able to get one of the Broncos here if we find a better place after our lease runs out... HOWEVER, I cant complain too much because I am enjoying the new job as a mechanic and I am learning alot. Also my boss is great and is letting me keep an engine in the shop to work on at lunch and such. So, being that I was going to do it someday, and I couldn't do anything else on it I decided to pull the Engine from TH. couple weeks ago we went back to Cali to visit my Parents, go to Apple Hill, and even went to a taco fundraiser for the Rubicon! But also it was a chance to make some progress on my project. So with much help from my Dad and Brother we managed to round up an engine hoist, and pull my Engine.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2016, 09:21 AM
Senior User

It was a long drive there, a bit difficult getting the engine to fit, and an even longer drive back but for once I couldn't wait to go to work the next day. That next day I put it on a stand and started cleaning up a bit in prep for the tear-down.
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2016, 03:17 PM
Senior User

after eating I have used the rest of my hour everyday to start getting into the engine. Day 1 I pulled all the electrical stuff off and valve covers. from there I could see by the shape of the valve-train that the last rebuild couldn't have been that many miles ago. the next day i managed to remove the intake and one of the heads. to my surprise you can still see the crosshatch hone marks in the cylinders and little to no wear on the hydraulic lifters. However there are a few rust ring in the cylinders indicating that the engine had likely been sitting for most of its life. judging by the black gooey soot on top of the pistons I also confirmed that ever since i had ran the engine it was running very rich. the next few days I finnaly got into the good stuff. I discovered that the pistons, though still severely dished and looked bad from the top, were some sort of aftermarket forged or hypertectic aluminum and in next to new shape. But the most anticipated question of all was the cam. after removing and cleaning I found some markings on the end of the cam which i looked up and discovered the company that made it and even the exact grind! turns out the erson valve covers weren't just something shiny the Previous builder had lying around.
Attached Images

Old 09-23-2016, 09:15 AM
Senior User

So as of now the engine is stripped down to a bare block and i am just waiting for money to magically appear in my wallet. I need about 100 bucks to get it started at the machine shop. For that he will clean, magnaflux, and inspect everything and from there I can hopefully start to decide on and order parts. Being that money is really tight right now I don't know when the next time i will have that kind of 'spare change' so I've been doing what i can elsewhere on the project. First off is attending to the oil pan, which looks like someone dropped the engine on. Still worked just fine but i figure i could make it better. I decided that it was too bent to straighten the bad parts so i cut out the bottom and will be welding a new bottom in.
Attached Images