6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2015 upfitter & CB radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 07:07 PM
whooboy
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 upfitter & CB radio

I've seen the YouTube videos and the threads on this forum where folks have hooked up the upfitter switches to power lights, air bag compressors, etc. I have found the wires under the dash for the switches and the firewall pass-through wires. But how do you guys get up under the dash to make the connections? I can't contort my body enough to get under there, let alone use two hands and a flashlight to do any work! Also under the hood, behind the fuse box? I can't even get one hand back there let alone two. So how do you do it? What are people who aren't "handy" do to get things hooked up? Do they go to the dealer and pay their labor rate? Upfitter switches were a big selling point for these trucks, but who knew they were a do-it-yourself project to make them work? Right now, I'm kind of thinking about taking it to my local audio installation shop where they have folks with small hands, and experience, to at least give me some longer pigtails. Any advice would be helpful.

I use a CB radio when I am caravanning with my RV friends. I haven't seen anyone's installation of a CB. I use the type that has all of the controls in the handset so the "box" can be installed out of sight. I plan on making a bracket to install the antenna on the left to match the AM/FM antenna on the right. I had that on my last truck and I like it. How have you installed your CB radio?

Old 11-14-2015, 07:22 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Look in teck folder in the 6.7 section. about 2/3 way down

Old 11-14-2015, 07:53 PM
whooboy
Mountain Pass
Well, I've got to admit ignorance as to where the "teck folder" is. Any help? Disregard, I found it.

By the way, I see you are Vietnam vet. Welcome home! I am retired Air Force - 20 years.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:59 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Our daughter in law was a DI for the air force about 6 years ago. Glad to help out a retired service member.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:03 PM
FatOldGuy
Senior User
Here's the tech folder:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...ch-folder.html

Then either scroll down or search (Ctrl+F) for upfitter.

Oops, sorry. Didn't see where you found it, but I'll leave it for anyone else.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:47 PM
whooboy
Mountain Pass
Good info on the upfitter switches. Still no info on the CB install, though.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:53 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
CB radio install....you might have to tell us how you do it. Depends if you have console or not. If console I would look at mounting it on the side of that or even inside.

Old 11-14-2015, 08:54 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
It seems some have suggested that you remove the front right inner fender to access the pass through wires.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:44 PM
whooboy
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by bigredtruckmi
CB radio install....you might have to tell us how you do it. Depends if you have console or not. If console I would look at mounting it on the side of that or even inside.
I like the idea of mounting it on the inside the console. It looks like there is room. I'll just have to figure out how to dismantle it.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:47 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
If inside console. Check for air requirement of radio for the heat sink. Also check speaker location. Might have to get external speaker.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:28 PM
whooboy
Mountain Pass
The Cobra C 75 has the speaker in the mike, as well as the volume control, squelch, and the channel selector. I don't mind drilling a couple of holes in a discrete location for cooling. I like everything to be hidden if I can make it happen.

Old 11-15-2015, 01:27 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
It seems some have suggested that you remove the front right inner fender to access the pass through wires.
Not necessary. Just remove the fuse box cover and they can be reached. Once I got to them I soldered 10" pigtails on them for future ease of access. Did the same for the inside pass thru and up fitter switch wires.

Old 11-15-2015, 03:35 PM
whooboy
Mountain Pass
Good idea. Some long pigtails.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:47 PM
Michael53
Senior User
Originally Posted by 69cj
Not necessary. Just remove the fuse box cover and they can be reached. Once I got to them I soldered 10" pigtails on them for future ease of access. Did the same for the inside pass thru and up fitter switch wires.
I did the same thing-soldered pigtails on all 4 wires-figured that while I was under there... I also connected all 4 wires from up fitter switches to the pass-thru wires while I was at it.

Old 11-15-2015, 07:57 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Strokin

It makes it a little bit easier, still tight though. I already had the inner fenders out to run wires though.

Quick Reply: 2015 upfitter & CB radio