New oil pan gasket question

Old 11-14-2015, 03:24 PM
Race Bannon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New oil pan gasket question

Very basic question, but since it's been almost 15 years since I last pulled an engine and then it was a sb Chevy with help from a friend I want to make sure I'm doing this right. I have a 1985 F150 w/ 300 that I am preparing to Lift the engine on to allow me to replace the oil pan gasket and want to make sure I'm doing it correctly before I make more issues than need be. I've unhooked everything I can see that might bind when I pull. Now I'm trying to determine
1.) the best location to connect the chains to raise the engine and how to unfasten the engine from the mounts. Right now the front chain for the lift is attached to the front of the engine block and the rear chain is going into the head at the rear bolt that attaches the manifold/exhaust. I'm not really comfortable with the rear location but can't find another
2.) Would I be ok just taking off the two nuts from the two mounts as opposed to the three bolts I see fastening the mounts to the engine?

Any help would be appreciated. I've got a chilton but it's somewhat vague.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:34 PM
AbandonedBronco
Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Heya Race Bannon,
Welcome to the forums.

Have you done a search using the tool bar at the top? Oil pan gasket replacement has been discussed a few times, so you might find a good wealth of information on the subject. There's some good writeups, or, at least, good information mixed throughout the different threads.

When I lifted mine, I put both of the hookups at the front of the engine. You won't actually be lifting the engine out of the vehicle, so you don't have to worry about a location that's can take the full weight. Even then, you'd be surprised how strong things like the brackets are for the PS pump, alternator. You can try something like sliding the bolt out that connects the alternator to the bracket and then put it back in through a chain loop. Lifting the front of the engine helps the most.

Also, disconnect the transmission mounts to give yourself a much easier time.

Yes, you can just undo the two big bolts that connect the mounts to the frame. However, I would recommend loosening the three bolts on both sides of the engine as much as you can. If the mounts can wobble around freely, they are much easier to get into and out of the holes in the frame where the mounts go. Otherwise, they're a pretty tight fit.

Lastly, you should look into upgrading to the 1 piece silicone gasket that's used on '89+ engines. It's a superior gasket, much easier to install, and much less leak prone. All you have to do is grind off all the raised ridges around the bolt holes on your current pan and you're good to go. Highly recommended.

Also, don't overtorque the oil pan bolts!

Good luck.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:22 PM
Race Bannon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you
I got it done before the first snow hit. Guess I was searching the wrong key words or maybe getting lost in the ton of information on here. I'm looking at redoing this pickup to the way it was when I bought it over 20 years ago. I am waffling on changing out the intake manifold as we have emission testing here and I'm still working on understanding all that I would need to take off and how that might affect how clean it will run. I'm still working on understanding the difference between the Two different manifolds that Offenhauser offers and comparing them to th Clifford. I'll probably read up on that over the winter and decided come spring. Right now I'm taking it in to get some body work done on the cab corners and rear wheels wells and a new paint job on it. Gotta keep that rust away and get the girl ready for spring.