6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Is it legal to remove DPF?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 01:24 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 533 Likes on 257 Posts
My state has safety and emissions inspections. However, over 10kGVW (or something like that) and no emissions inspection is required. A dealer might balk, but there are many other garages that could care less.

I just had another regen last night; about 240 miles since the first one. It happened at an ideal time - I was driving up a steep road and would have steady driving for a good hour. Because of the gradient, it was hard to see when the mpg picked back up and it finished. But I'm certain it was done long before I got home since the "self cleaning oven smell" was not present when I parked it in the driveway.

I think I'll leave it alone for now. If I keep this truck for years and miles, if it comes to the point I need to replace the DPF, I'm betting it will just go away...

Thanks

Old 11-16-2015, 02:30 PM
nards444
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know a lot of guys are looking for better MPG. But these DPF's now with DEF do a lot better than they did. my old 08 got 12-13mpg. My 11 I just got is getting over 17 avg.

I guess with a DPF delete I don't know how much more your looking to get on a 7-8k lb truck.

The dpf deletes are a 1500-2k system. Which best case scenario its going to take 2-3 years minimum to recoup that.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:25 AM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by troverman
An extinguisher inside the cab came loose from its mounts on a call; dropped, and the valve broke...discharging dry retardant all over the inside and making visibility nill. I believe they got the truck stopped with hitting anything.
Yeah, that must have been memorable. NFPA has been pushing for "clean cab" in the most recent editions of 1901, specifically due to the risk of injury resulting from items in the cab striking occupants during a collision.

I'm a black cloud, I suppose... having been the D/E at the wheel of our rescue when it got hit 3 years ago by a drunk (we were stationary/blocking), and also at the wheel of our tanker when a driver steer tire blew a few months back. Both were... interesting. Fortunately, no firefighters were harmed in the making of either of these messes.

Originally Posted by Tom
The problem with blanket statements like that is that they deal with state law. Each state has different laws, and there is an exemption in federal law. So that may be true in your state, but not necessarily in the OP's.
The problem with selecting small pieces of the law is that you don't get the full context. The text you've quoted specifically refers to the FMCSR section 382 (a/k/a 49 CFR 382). This part is specifically styled "Controlled Substances and Alcohol Use and Testing", and the part you've quoted exempts firefighters and other persons operating emergency vehicles from mandatory drug and alcohol testing. Further, per 49 CFR 382.103d3, what you've quoted only applies when the state has, at its discretion, chosen to exempt these people. The list starts with "may be", so this list is descriptive, not prescriptive.

This section has absolutely nothing to do with the class of driver's license a firefighter must hold.

The entire section is available here for your review...
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulation...ection/382.103