Sponsored by:

Looking to Buy Ex, Payload Specs Info

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 12:57 PM
Country_Mouse
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Toreador,

Ideally I would love a 4x4 but then we may have to leave a kid behind.

What do y'all think of this one that we are interested in? Has 3.73 though but definitely a step up from what we have now.

orange co for sale "ford excursion" - craigslist
VIN Decoder - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Old 11-14-2015, 12:57 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with TOR, v10 with 4:30's 4x4 is your best choice.

Old 11-14-2015, 02:05 PM
Country_Mouse
Elder User
We just bought the trailer so it is going to last us all through the kids growing up years. If we get the 3.73 it will handle this trailer so don't "need" more. Plus the 3.73 will get better gas mileage. We also live in sunny CA without much weather to worry about getting stuck. Just will have to avoid driving into the sand.

I am thinking by the time we change trailers we'll have kids out of the house and can get a nice truck.

We have several trips planned right now, about one per month through next spring. Anxious to get a new TV ASAP. Worried that we won't find the perfect needle in the haystack.
The one I posted is pretty darn close though and like I said just looking for most payload at this point.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:48 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Country_Mouse
Ideally I would love a 4x4 but then we may have to leave a kid behind.
Mind if I ask what your exact needs and wants are from your future Ex, so we can understand why you're limiting your options?

We may be able to help you "configure better" or even safely cut a corner or two.

Stewart

Old 11-14-2015, 03:51 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 278 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Mind if I ask what your exact needs and wants are from your future Ex, so we can understand why you're limiting your options?

We may be able to help you "configure better" or even safely cut a corner or two.

Stewart
What he said^^^^^^

Old 11-14-2015, 04:41 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
Toreador_Diesel, Thanks Razzi, I'm flattered to be compared to Joe. I think that I still have much to learn about both these wagons and towing but I am always happy to share anything that I have learned (much of it here ) about either.

We just bought the trailer so it is going to last us all through the kids growing up years. If we get the 3.73 it will handle this trailer so don't "need" more. Plus the 3.73 will get better gas mileage. We also live in sunny CA without much weather to worry about getting stuck. Just will have to avoid driving into the sand.

I am thinking by the time we change trailers we'll have kids out of the house and can get a nice truck.

We have several trips planned right now, about one per month through next spring. Anxious to get a new TV ASAP. Worried that we won't find the perfect needle in the haystack.
The one I posted is pretty darn close though and like I said just looking for most payload at this point.

Hi Rural Mouse Lady.
I went back and read your other posts talking about how full (2 adults, 4 kids and 2 dogs) and potentially maxed out your Expedition is towing (2016 jayco X254 TT @ 6,000lbs GVWR) and why you are looking at an EX for your hauling/towing needs. Since you are here asking can I assume that the Hubby has been swayed into looking at the upgrade to an EX?
There is nothing more confusing in the SUV and light truck world than trying to figure out real world limitations based on published payload and towing ratings. Even though your Expy is more than able to haul either your full family load or tow that 6k TT doing both I'm sure was pushing it pretty close to or over on a couple of it's ratings. And anything less than a near perfect WD hitch setup probably took a lot of the fun out of the equation.
The EX WILL make for a better tow vehicle given your family load and TT weight. Simply because it's based on the stronger 3/4 ton Super Duty chassis vs the Expy's 1/2 ton platform. Another thing to consider is that your young family will only get bigger, maybe not in number but in size if you keep feeding them. And the Ex should provide a little better room for that increase in size.
Is this EX going to be a daily driver or more of a dedicated tow rig?
I totally agree with the above statements that a 4x4 is more desirable than a 2WD, better to have and not need than to need and not have. my Ex is our dedicated tow rig and it does not go off road or get driven during our snowy Winters, but I'm always happy to know that the 4WD is there if needed.
Yes, I know that the 2WD EXs have more payload capacity, which your family will be filling up some and the TT's tongue weight also eats into.
But , for whatever reason when they built the EX left a lot of capacity on the table. The EX was given softer and 2" lower springs than it's cousin F-250 pickup truck which it shares the same axles and brakes with. While the EX and pickup frames are not technically identical due to the shapes needed for the truck bed vs wagon body they do share the same frame material, thickness and basic design as well as a matching 167' wheelbase to one of the pickup cab/bed combos. The trucks and the shared axles and brakes all have higher ratings than what the EXs were tagged with from the factory, with the springs being the reduced rate components. For an example the EX has rear springs rated at 5250lbs while the actual rear axle (same axle on both the trucks and EXs) is rated at 6830lbs. So that leaves 1580lbs of safe axle capacity that can be worked towards with a simple spring swap from a pickup truck, a very popular thing here in the EX community. All of my springs have been swapped to truck springs to improve my EX's towing abilities and comfort. (All done with hand tools in my driveway. ) While this doesn't change the factory specs for the EX it does make the EX a more stable and safer vehicle using all OEM (factory) parts without exceeding any components rated limits.
Now with the load and trailer size you are dealing with I feel that you will be OK on the factory setup as long as everything is in good shape and the WD hitch is correctly setup. I just wanted to make you aware of the extra strength that the Ex has the potential for if a heavier load ever enters the plan. We upgraded our TT 2 years ago to our current Jayco 338RETS that is 41' long and weighs 11,000lbs, and our V-10 4X4 EX handles it very well. (after some key upgrades ). Am I over on some of my factory rating, yes. Am I exceeding any of the OEM component's ratings, no.
Your load and TT weight should not be a problem for a well setup EX. If you do go with the V-10 then listen to what has been said about the 4.30 axle ratio. It will tow better and not really hurt your mileage any if at all. I had 3.73 gears in mine and while pulling our old toyhauler at 9500lbs we saw 6.to 7.5 MPG. I swapped up to 4.88 gears (with my 35" tires it comes out an effective 4.39 ratio) and over the same route with the same load at the same speeds we got 9 MPG. The V-10 makes more power at the slightly higher engine RPMs from the bigger gears so it stays in OD more and improves the performance and mileage! Even with the new longer and heavier TT we are still seeing 8 to 9.25 MPG on trips. If you don't find a nice EX with the deeper gears they can always be changed out later and the 3.73s will be able to pull your setup but the 4.30s will pull it better.
I have to go now but I will be more than happy to address any questions you come up with from this post.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:42 PM
Country_Mouse
Elder User
Wow, thanks Tom for chiming in! Yes, my husband knows I am set on this. I think his breaking point would be around $10K. He doesn't realize it yet but I really think he will enjoy towing much better with a stronger TV. He kept it at 45 mph maybe going up inclines as to not shift it into 3rd.

My objective here is more payload, more power and a safer and more enjoyable ride. EX would spread out kids more too. Last trip having two youngest in the rear seat next to each other was T.O.R.T.U.R.E for all of us. We went to CAT scales and found that with the WDH set up (although likely not dialed in correctly) we were over our RAWR by a few hundred pounds. I suspect that when we do adjust it again that we would maybe at best be right at our max RAWR anyways which is 4128#?

Lots to think about. I will take another gander at the available ones in our area. There were a couple 4X4 diesels. So, if I found one I liked that only had let's say only 1500# available payload (going strictly by manufacturer ratings) you think I'd be fine by just swapping out springs?

My fam currently weighs in around 800# (including dogs but not a couple of booster seats.) Like you said we're still growing because they like to eat . Would like to have extra room for an occasional friend or two. Would like to keep 900# for tongue weight available as that would be 15% of our trailer's GTWR.

Old 11-14-2015, 05:57 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
If you are going strictly off the published numbers you will note that the 3.73 v10 has a lower GCWR

Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2015, 06:03 PM
Country_Mouse
Elder User
What would be a good formula to visualize what the real rating would be assuming springs were swapped using the below example? I have been figuring payload by subtracting the total curb weight from the GVWR.

Gross Axle Wt Rating - Front4700 lbs (4700.0 min/4700.0max)
Gross Axle Wt Rating - Rear5250 lbs (5250.0 min/5250.0max)
Curb Weight - Front4062 lbs (3524.0 min/4062.0max)
Curb Weight - Rear3626 lbs (3563.0 min/3626.0max)
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating Cap 9200 lbs (8900.0 min/9200.0max)
Gross Combined Wt Rating18000, 18000 lbs (14500.0 min/18000.0max)

Old 11-14-2015, 06:05 PM
Country_Mouse
Elder User
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
If you are going strictly off the published numbers you will note that the 3.73 v10 has a lower GCWR
Yes, I did notice that but it didn't seem to matter as our trailer is nowhere near that.

Also, what about a diesel? It seems that they only come in the 3.73? There are a couple 7.3 4X4 diesels around. Obviously I am not a car person.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:26 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Yes, I did notice that but it didn't seem to matter as our trailer is nowhere near that.
From the link I posted above on calculating payload, here is the GVWR for the various models

Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2015, 06:41 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
What would be a good formula to visualize what the real rating would be assuming springs were swapped using the below example? I have been figuring payload by subtracting the total curb weight from the GVWR.

Gross Axle Wt Rating - Front4700 lbs (4700.0 min/4700.0max)
Gross Axle Wt Rating - Rear5250 lbs (5250.0 min/5250.0max)
Curb Weight - Front4062 lbs (3524.0 min/4062.0max)
Curb Weight - Rear3626 lbs (3563.0 min/3626.0max)
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating Cap 9200 lbs (8900.0 min/9200.0max)
Gross Combined Wt Rating18000, 18000 lbs (14500.0 min/18000.0max)
For just the vehicle with no trailer it is

GVWR - Curb weight = payload or cargo

Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2015, 06:47 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Sorry, above pic got cut off.

Here is the link, page 9
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...1/campercd.pdf

Attached Images  
Old 11-14-2015, 07:14 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
If we get the 3.73 it will handle this trailer so don't "need" more.
For your personal wants and needs, you certainly may be happy with a V10 and 3.73's pulling your trailer. But if you have an Ex with "more" (ala the 4.30's or more), you'll have more smiles per gallon than if you have an Ex with 3.73's.

Just saying, based on the posts and threads I've read here by the V10 guys.

Plus the 3.73 will get better gas mileage.
Not true. Like Tom posted below....

Originally Posted by WE3ZS
If you do go with the V-10 then listen to what has been said about the 4.30 axle ratio. It will tow better and not really hurt your mileage any if at all.

I had 3.73 gears in mine and while pulling our old toyhauler at 9500lbs we saw 6.to 7.5 MPG. I swapped up to 4.88 gears (with my 35" tires it comes out an effective 4.39 ratio) and over the same route with the same load at the same speeds we got 9 MPG.

The V-10 makes more power at the slightly higher engine RPMs from the bigger gears so it stays in OD more and improves the performance and mileage! Even with the new longer and heavier TT we are still seeing 8 to 9.25 MPG on trips.
Many (I can't say "all" because I'm sure I haven't read every single post by all the V10 powered owners that post here), V10 owners have posted the same results: Better MPG.

You'll actually be saving money in the long run with bigger (numerically speaking) gears.

We also live in sunny CA without much weather to worry about getting stuck. Just will have to avoid driving into the sand.
I live in the sunny Peoples Republik of Kalifornia too, and I too will say you will want a 4x4 and never need it, as opposed to not having it and need it once.

You don't need sand or mud. You can get stuck in wet grass.

Originally Posted by WE3ZS
If you don't find a nice EX with the deeper gears they can always be changed out later and the 3.73s will be able to pull your setup but the 4.30s will pull it better.
This is another option too, but it does add cost. Doubly so if you have to upgrade the R&P on a 4x4 versus a 4x2.

Also, what about a diesel? It seems that they only come in the 3.73?
PSD engines produce power in a different RPM band/curve, so changing the ring and pinion gear on a diesel is only done if bigger wheels and tires are added, and it's done to get the rig back into the optimum power band.

V10 engines produce power in a different RPM band/curve, so changing the ring and pinion gear on a V10 is done to get the rig up INTO the optimum power band.

Stewart

Old 11-14-2015, 07:22 PM
High Cetane
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Everyone,
We are a large family that tow a Jayco travel trailer 27 ft, 6000# GTWR.
Hello & Welcome-
Familiar w/ 6k neighborhood with both boats & TT's, currently with a V10, formerly with a 02 7.3.

Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
You want the V10 if it's sole purpose is to tow that travel trailer then sit.
/\ Our situation precisely. Our Ex lives in the barn 7 months annually. The initial upcharge for the diesel, in this case, was not feasible. The extra coin went towards more vacations, fuel, fun, & what was being towed.

Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
"Four Wheel Drive is like a gun, you'd much rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it"
In your case: Get yourself a 4x4 V10 Excursion with 4.30 gears and you'll be very happy with it.
Right on. Many times camping, a situation developed that called for 4wd. Some clay, a little rain, a tight spot or slight incline just once, and you wont regret it.

Worried that we won't find the perfect needle in the haystack.
Doesn't always work out...sometimes they leave, then come back in greater numbers. ...with bigger appetites(!)
As been said- possible weather & situations (and resale) You want 4x4.
As Tom suggested, no great mileage gains w/ the 373's.
The needles are out there...you have to look. And by that, I don't mean counting on the seller's Craigslist ad or a dealer's bad info.
Worst case you may have to pay a few more rubles for what you want.
We had the same plan as you: thinking newer truck in a few years. Recently, we changed our minds to keep the Ex...considering its only used as a tow mule and lives in the barn 7 months out of the year, a new truck isn't justified.

Good luck & kudo's for thinking ahead & asking good questions. Oh..... and Everything Tom said is gospel.

On edit- And Stewart types faster than me

Quick Reply: Looking to Buy Ex, Payload Specs Info