1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Finally figured out the problem (hopefully)!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 10:24 PM
BogginDave
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally figured out the problem (hopefully)!

Hey guys I've been posting a thread about my injectors being bad and the mechanics being bad in my area. I decided to check my uvch and the connectors were almost unplugged. My symptoms before were rough idling (sometimes), and a change in rpms at idle (30-40). I am hoping this is the problem that has been pissing me off for so long. Would a bad connection show up on a diagnostic? Because I can't tell you how much money (hundreds and hundreds) I've spent trying to get my truck diagnosed and it has always come back clean. I really feel like every mechanic I've taken my truck to just doesn't give a rat's behind about figuring it out. Let me know your thoughts on this discovery and if you think it could explain rough idle and lack of power. Thanks!

1996 f250 xlt 2wd auto 92,223 miles

Old 11-12-2015, 10:43 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
They should be plugged in all the way so they are not loose. Have you looked at the pins to see if they are burnt or damaged at all?

Old 11-12-2015, 10:59 PM
BogginDave
Senior User
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
They should be plugged in all the way so they are not loose. Have you looked at the pins to see if they are burnt or damaged at all?
They're a bit melted. I'm ordering new ones. I really am a patient person but I want them now.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:10 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Originally Posted by BogginDave
They're a bit melted. I'm ordering new ones. I really am a patient person but I want them now.
Your like me but when it comes to my Mule Im like the movie Insidious(the demon voice in the baby monitor) and I quote "I want it, I want it KNOW!)

Old 11-13-2015, 09:36 AM
BogginDave
Senior User
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Your like me but when it comes to my Mule Im like the movie Insidious(the demon voice in the baby monitor) and I quote "I want it, I want it KNOW!)
Haha exactly! Well put

Old 11-13-2015, 01:51 PM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BogginDave
Would a bad connection show up on a diagnostic? Because I can't tell you how much money (hundreds and hundreds) I've spent trying to get my truck diagnosed and it has always come back clean.
Depends on how you define "diagnostic". You checking the UVCHs constitutes a "diagnostic", and you found the problem. A lot of mediocre mechanics think that a code scan is a "diagnostic", that a computer will tell them everything. A connection issue like this may or may not throw a code. It may pass a key-on engine-off buzz test, but fail an engine-running cylinder contribution test. All depends on what sort of "diagnostics" your previous mechanics did. Add to that the fact that our trucks don't "speak" generic OBD-II, and a lot of mechanics don't realize that, and yes, diagnostics can get expensive.

Never sell short your own diagnostic skills.

Old 11-13-2015, 04:08 PM
BogginDave
Senior User
Originally Posted by madpogue
Depends on how you define "diagnostic". You checking the UVCHs constitutes a "diagnostic", and you found the problem. A lot of mediocre mechanics think that a code scan is a "diagnostic", that a computer will tell them everything. A connection issue like this may or may not throw a code. It may pass a key-on engine-off buzz test, but fail an engine-running cylinder contribution test. All depends on what sort of "diagnostics" your previous mechanics did. Add to that the fact that our trucks don't "speak" generic OBD-II, and a lot of mechanics don't realize that, and yes, diagnostics can get expensive.

Never sell short your own diagnostic skills.
Exactly. That's all the mechanics use is a scanner. They just scan for codes and if nothing comes back they say everything is normal. What a bunch of crap lol

Old 11-13-2015, 08:12 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I agree, my plug in was loose and I lost the whole bank, side of the motor (sd uvch). I checked for codes and nothing!

Old 11-14-2015, 06:51 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
unfortunately in today's electronic age, we no longer have "mechanics".
we have parts changers. they plug the scanner in, it tells them "change this", or "everything is ok"
so the parts changers say everything is fine, even though the engine has a miss and no power because the scanner told then there is nothing wrong.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:10 AM
JCart
Tuned
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
The other thing I'd recommend in checking after you sort the burnt UVC connections is the fuel filter housing. If you drain a little fuel out of the fuel filter housing then pull out the filter and a 1/3 the way down the driver's side you'll find a smal hole. Take Q-tips a small flashlight and small mirror and clean the stainless screen at the back of this hole. There maybe debris on this screen which need to be cleaned off it. I have found this to be the fastest way to clean it. First time I did this on my trucks you couldn't even see the screen for the black keerap on it. Took 1/2 doz Q-tips to clean up. This may smooth out your idle too as it's the return fuel line to tank.

It sounds like an electrical concern that is affecting idle and performance, in addition to above what type of engine oil you running and do you use a fuel additive like Stanadyne?

jrc

Old 11-16-2015, 08:24 AM
madpogue
Lead Driver
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
unfortunately in today's electronic age, we no longer have "mechanics".
we have parts changers. they plug the scanner in, it tells them "change this", or "everything is ok"
so the parts changers say everything is fine, even though the engine has a miss and no power because the scanner told then there is nothing wrong.
Nice arrangement, when they're spending somebody else's money....

Old 12-04-2015, 06:02 PM
BogginDave
Senior User
Originally Posted by JCart
The other thing I'd recommend in checking after you sort the burnt UVC connections is the fuel filter housing. If you drain a little fuel out of the fuel filter housing then pull out the filter and a 1/3 the way down the driver's side you'll find a smal hole. Take Q-tips a small flashlight and small mirror and clean the stainless screen at the back of this hole. There maybe debris on this screen which need to be cleaned off it. I have found this to be the fastest way to clean it. First time I did this on my trucks you couldn't even see the screen for the black keerap on it. Took 1/2 doz Q-tips to clean up. This may smooth out your idle too as it's the return fuel line to tank.

It sounds like an electrical concern that is affecting idle and performance, in addition to above what type of engine oil you running and do you use a fuel additive like Stanadyne?

jrc
Rotella T6 oil and am currently doing stanadyne for 4 fill ups