6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2011 Long Term Update

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 11:18 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,447 Likes on 893 Posts
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
That makes me a little nervous Epic, Since I installed the Airlift Wireless on my 2015 with the Firestone Air bags. I'll have to watch for that failure.

I had swapped out the front steering stabilizer and still had death wobble on certain radius curves. I could also hear a little grinding. So I lifted the front end up and discovered I had some play in the front wheels. So I ordered the parts. The OEM Ford hubs are expensive, But I found some aftermarket hubs and that were about half the price and put them on, They held up just fine for the 45,000 miles I put on them after swapping them out and it definitely fixed the death wobble. But I'm sure the fact that I had swapped out steering stabilizer and shocks before getting to the hubs helped.

Epic, Look for my Ruby Red with a BAK Tonneau and a LED light bar where the plate should be running around town and wave. Getting to be too many Superduties in town to just wave at a white one and hope it's you.

Troy, are not the Rancho 9000 lifetime warranty? If you are only getting 20,000 miles have you tried to collect on the warranty?

I wasn't sure about the warranty, but decided I didn't want to go that route again so they got tossed. Both the front and rear shocks were shot with the front being really bad.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:48 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Hi mr cowlick. Thank you for mentioning the shock issues. I've always gone with bilstein but have considered trying out rancho this time, you cured me of that and I'm thankful. Bilstein it is....

There's no reason to let go of your "old" truck if it's still making you happy but if you're tempted by the 2017 model then that's great. If you hesitate to get a 17 model, the 2015-16 trucks are very nice and the new exhaust brake is a tremendous upgrade, so, if you want a new truck in my opinion, it comes down to that choice. All new design vs. what you've got with a nice new brake.

Old 11-13-2015, 07:06 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
Epic, the gauge on the right is the one I'm talking about. Love being able to air each side up independently.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:23 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
That makes me a little nervous Epic, Since I installed the Airlift Wireless on my 2015 with the Firestone Air bags. I'll have to watch for that failure.
I wouldn't worry about it. I read somewhere that Airlift made some significant engineering changes to the manifold in terms of waterproofing. I see that the design is physically different as well.

Originally Posted by golfmedik
Epic, the gauge on the right is the one I'm talking about. Love being able to air each side up independently.
Ok, I see how it works. But that thing is HUGE!

Old 11-13-2015, 09:32 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hola Epic! Long time buddy. Great review. I too swapped my 2011 F250 out for a 2016 F450.

Question for you. Many of your upgrades carried warranties. Did Rancho replace your shocks as they went out? how was the processes? Also, I know you upgraded your DSS to the higher end Rancho dampers. How are they faring?

I really wish I could add a DSS to my F450, but apparentely I will have to have a kit custom made as the U-Bolts do not fit around the 2.5" diameter tie rod.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:04 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by IronCobra
Hola Epic! Long time buddy. Great review. I too swapped my 2011 F250 out for a 2016 F450.

Question for you. Many of your upgrades carried warranties. Did Rancho replace your shocks as they went out? how was the processes? Also, I know you upgraded your DSS to the higher end Rancho dampers. How are they faring?

I really wish I could add a DSS to my F450, but apparentely I will have to have a kit custom made as the U-Bolts do not fit around the 2.5" diameter tie rod.
Rancho was quick to replace. Just a phone call and they sent replacements. And yes, the monotube stabilizers are superior to the first version. But they too have a life span which seems to be about 40-45k miles. I suspect it's all relative. My truck has the wobble but not as bad as some I've seen on youtube. Most trucks don't so the rate of wear is probably linked to how much the truck needs them. Unless of course you find the root problem and solve it completely.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:44 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EpicCowlick
Rancho was quick to replace. Just a phone call and they sent replacements. And yes, the monotube stabilizers are superior to the first version. But they too have a life span which seems to be about 40-45k miles. I suspect it's all relative. My truck has the wobble but not as bad as some I've seen on youtube. Most trucks don't so the rate of wear is probably linked to how much the truck needs them. Unless of course you find the root problem and solve it completely.
You should seriously consider the ProComp caster bushings to replace the OEM ones. They were a tremendous help for my truck (which had the same level as yours). Best $80 I spent.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:59 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by IronCobra
You should seriously consider the ProComp caster bushings to replace the OEM ones. They were a tremendous help for my truck (which had the same level as yours). Best $80 I spent.
Yup. They are on there already. Thanks.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:16 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
No install video? Boooo

Old 11-14-2015, 07:42 PM
whooboy
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to see your update. I am new to the Ford, but certainly not new to heavy fifth-wheel trailers and the problems inherent with using these trucks for heavy duty use. This is my first SRW truck and first 4X4 truck, too. I have been pulling about 10,000 miles a year, so having some insight on what to look out for, maintenance- and failure-wise is very useful.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:45 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Really great to hear from you Tuevo, glad to hear the truck has done you well!

Old 11-14-2015, 10:01 PM
22rimfire
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks Epic. Glad to hear your truck has served you well. I used to have an epic cowlick too, then it uh.....fell out

Old 11-15-2015, 08:30 PM
cabindoc
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Hey Epic,

Nice to hear from you. Thought you fell off the earth. I too am in your camp. Have an early 11 build 1. just past 100k and very few issues. Tried the Rancho 9000's for about 10k miles, took them off and put new bilisteins back on. SOOoo much better. Not going to return as I don't want another set. I'll just sell them for 1/2 what I paid. Viair still working, but still have too much air loss at fittings, still working that out. Airbags work great. Just picked up a Torque toyhauler empty weighs around 14k. Airbags really made for a nice ride. and your right about the train horn Don't be a stranger.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:27 AM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Tom
Really great to hear from you Tuevo, glad to hear the truck has done you well!
I think his visit was fleeting........or maybe you should ask yourself was he really even here....?

Old 11-18-2015, 09:35 PM
neilster1
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on the longevity. I'm not trying to brag and not sure if I should be overly concerned about my `11 250.. but my build date is 02/10. She's got 98k on her.. bought the truck back in May with 89K. Runs great. I know that the previous owner had the EGR cooler replaced.. wish I could get Ford to give me a OASIS so that I could see the other things. I'm surprised they were building the `11 model so early..

Quick Reply: 2011 Long Term Update