Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power steering reservoir replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 06:34 PM
Dank Hill
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah it's beat.

I'm just not sure I can get that screw out without stripping it
that's why I said maybe sawing or cutting the shaft on the pump itself which would cause the pulley to fall right off.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:39 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That screw ain't coming out with vice grips... done tried that already on mine. You MIGHT be able to weld a nut on it.

If you can cut the pump shaft then go for it. If not, do as I said in post #45 and take the bracket off, then see if you can cut the pump mounting ears.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:46 PM
Dank Hill
Junior User
Cool

Originally Posted by dixie460
Hey I got an idea. Can you get to the mounting ears on that pump from the back if you remove the accessory bracket? If so they are only cast aluminum and you could easily cut them with a standard cutoff wheel or even a Dremel cutoff wheel if it's hard to reach.

Last resort... air chisel. Because that may or may not break the bracket.
mounting ears on accessory bracket? I'll have to see if I have enough room to maneuver, I'll take a look again in the morning.

Old 11-25-2015, 06:50 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
No, mounting ears are on the pump. If you look at the body of the pump it will have I think three ears cast into it. These are what the bolts thread into after they pass thru the accessory bracket from the front.

If you can break or cut those ears off the pump body it will come right out. Because if I remember right the mounting area for it is not completely enclosed but rather it resembles a C shape.

Also... you could just cut the (plastic) pulley off the pump and remove the mounting bolts normally.

Old 11-28-2015, 10:11 PM
Dank Hill
Junior User
Old 11-29-2015, 05:20 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,358 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Wow. Two weeks to replace a power steering pump.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:30 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks
Wow. Two weeks to replace a power steering pump.
No, that was just to remove it.

Dank, get them bolts out and it'll fall right off. You'll need a new threaded adapter to install the pulley on the new one.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:44 AM
Dank Hill
Junior User
No, that was just to remove it.

Dank, get them bolts out and it'll fall right off. You'll need a new threaded adapter to install the pulley on the new one.
Yeah this whole mess started from me breaking the tip off my psp reservoir trying to replace a hose. I'll try not drag this thread out anymore than needed.

But yep it came right off. It was so enjoyable cutting that pulley ,then breaking it into 3 with my chisel and mallet, took all of 10 minutes to get that pump out.

I'll make sure to get the threaded adapter too I guess I could still use the puller tool to reinstall the pulley.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:05 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
No worries... you're still learning (I am too when it comes to some things) and it ain't like you hijacked someone else's thread... this one's yours. I'll continue to reply as long as you're doing what's suggested or otherwise making progress. The threads I quit helping in are the ones where despite multiple members telling someone to do things a certain way, they go off and do other things instead such as replacing parts instead of troubleshooting. After all, if someone won't take the advice that is given then what good is them asking for help in the first place?

And your little project will forever be here for others to find and learn from, maybe saving them the trouble of going thru what you did, so it's all good in the end.

Old 11-29-2015, 04:20 PM
Dank Hill
Junior User
No worries... you're still learning (I am too when it comes to some things) and it ain't like you hijacked someone else's thread... this one's yours. I'll continue to reply as long as you're doing what's suggested or otherwise making progress. The threads I quit helping in are the ones where despite multiple members telling someone to do things a certain way, they go off and do other things instead such as replacing parts instead of troubleshooting. After all, if someone won't take the advice that is given then what good is them asking for help in the first place?

And your little project will forever be here for others to find and learn from, maybe saving them the trouble of going thru what you did, so it's all good in the end.
Thank you Dixie, it feels good to know I have knowledgeable advice I can call upon should I need it.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:48 PM
Dank Hill
Junior User
Okay! I finally put the pulley and pump on. It came with everything I needed even its own installer bolt. I replaced the white Teflon seal and for extra measure added a layer of teflon tape. Took me 1 and half to get the pulley on.

I would like for someone to tell me if the pulley looks flush enough with the shaft of the pump. Belt lined up good visual inspection appeared to show the pulley was in the necessary range.

Now to put this darn thing back together and bleed the steering.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:31 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Looks okay to me. Can't look at mine because I have an aftermarket dual belt pulley on my pump but I'd say if the belt lines up and don't fly off at high RPM then it's gonna be just fine.

Oh and the hydraulic system is self-bleeding. You don't HAVE to bleed it but it will whine for a bit til the air gets out. If you really want to though, all you do is jack the front end up and turn the wheels back and forth til it quits whining. You may not get all the whine out of it or maybe you will, these pumps are just not quiet to begin with.

Hey is that a METAL pulley you have now? That's nice... I was looking for a metal one when I did my air compressor. Wanted to take a steel one and weld a second pulley on it but all the ones I saw were stupid plastic so I had to buy an aftermarket one for a not-so-nice price.

Old 12-19-2015, 04:56 PM
Dank Hill
Junior User
Looks okay to me. Can't look at mine because I have an aftermarket dual belt pulley on my pump but I'd say if the belt lines up and don't fly off at high RPM then it's gonna be just fine.

Oh and the hydraulic system is self-bleeding. You don't HAVE to bleed it but it will whine for a bit til the air gets out. If you really want to though, all you do is jack the front end up and turn the wheels back and forth til it quits whining. You may not get all the whine out of it or maybe you will, these pumps are just not quiet to begin with.

Hey is that a METAL pulley you have now? That's nice... I was looking for a metal one when I did my air compressor. Wanted to take a steel one and weld a second pulley on it but all the ones I saw were stupid plastic so I had to buy an aftermarket one for a not-so-nice price.
Yeah it is metal actually(I was surprised myself) 9 bucks at O'Reillys and the holes in the pulley made installation quite abit easier, looks nicer too but I don't think I could cut threw this one . And yeah I heard the whining which made me nervous , but it went away as soon as I put the truck in gear so all is well and I'm glad you told me that about the steering I'm not even gonna bother bleeding it now.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:57 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Yeah some whine is normal from the C2 pump. Don't think I've ever heard one didn't. Mine whines constantly since I put in the hydraulic brake booster. Someday I'm going to swap in a quieter and better C3 pump from a 4.6/5.4 motor but I'll have to make a custom bracket to mount it first. All hydraulic pumps whine but this is just a bit excessive although nowhere NEAR as loud as I've heard one of these C2 pumps sing.

Good deal on that steel pulley. I'll have to remember that.

Old 12-20-2015, 01:21 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,358 Likes on 1,073 Posts
Originally Posted by Dank Hill
Yeah it is metal actually(I was surprised myself) ... and the holes in the pulley made installation quite abit easier.

"And yeah I heard the whining which made me nervous , but it went away as soon as I put the truck in gear so all is well and I'm glad you told me that about the steering I'm not even gonna bother bleeding it now.
Huh? I don't understand what the holes have to do with installing the pulley. The tool screws into the pump shaft and has a bearing that rides up against the pulley that in turn presses the pulley on. Should take almost as long to set up the tool as it does to press it on: just a few minutes

Opinions differ on bleeding out the system but depending on how much fluid is in it, you can run the pump dry in a matter of seconds potentially damaging it. I jack up front wheels, turn the wheel back and forth several times, top off the reservoir. Do that a few times and then start the engine and repeat until no more bubbles are present. (Shutting off the engine to check the level and top off)

Quick Reply: power steering reservoir replacement