1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

5 star tune v10 mpg improvements

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 06:41 AM
NCMODELA
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 star tune v10 mpg improvements

Hi all. I have a 2011 v10 e350. I get about 10 city and 14.5 hwy. I was looking at Mikes 5 star tune and was looking to see what type of fuel increase everyone one seeing with a v10 3.73 gear. I have the 5spd torqueshift. I am hoping to achieve 12 mpg around town but I don't know if that is possible.

Thanks
Bill

Old 11-11-2015, 07:59 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Welcome to FTE Bill!

I don't think you'll see those kind of gains, but I'm hardly the expert. Paging @fordmdb.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:32 AM
REDOVAL
Freshman User
I have the 5 Star tuner and saw no mpg improvements. The tranny tuning is definitely the reason I got it though as it makes a huge improvement in the driveability and shift schedules.

Scott

Old 11-11-2015, 11:21 AM
NCMODELA
Freshman User
Scott, what type of mileage are you getting?

Old 11-11-2015, 11:29 AM
REDOVAL
Freshman User
Originally Posted by NCMODELA
Scott, what type of mileage are you getting?
I see about 8.5 in the city and about 12 on the highway. Doesn't seem to matter how I drive it. On the highway with a 4000lb trailer it gets about 10 at 60mph.

These numbers are with a drop in air cleaner, tuner and exhaust.

Scott

Old 11-11-2015, 11:45 AM
NCMODELA
Freshman User
Wow. That's lower than mine. What rear end gear do you have?

Old 11-11-2015, 11:52 AM
REDOVAL
Freshman User
Wow. That's lower than mine. What rear end gear do you have?

Best way to gain mileage is to not stop the van more than you need to. Starting and stopping 6000+lbs is the fuel killer. I also found that accelerating briskly to get to OD is a factor as well since the vans are tuned to shift into OD above 40mph no matter what. With the engine power and torque ratings on the V10 vans being so high, most of the city and hwy driving I do is terribly inefficient since the throttle opening is not optimized (no load). Higher RPM at lower load helps too, but this is unrealistic without a manual transmission. I still try to get as good of mileage as possible, but with gas under $3 per gallon I don't worry about it. It is efficient for a big block engine, just not optimized for potential in the van platform unless loaded to GVW.

Scott

Old 11-11-2015, 12:01 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by REDOVAL
With the engine power and torque ratings on the V10 vans being so high, most of the city and hwy driving I do is terribly inefficient since the throttle opening is not optimized (no load). Higher RPM at lower load helps too, but this is unrealistic without a manual transmission.
Just wanted to clarify, engine efficiency at low load is horrible, and that doesn't get better with higher RPMs. Ideally you want the engine operating as close to maximum load as possible, which requires low RPMs unless you're accelerating.

I did some playing around with fuel economy with my ScanGauge a few years ago. Pulling my enclosed trailer I went from about 9 MPG in top gear to 7 MPG in 3rd at 62 MPH. This was in my Excursion that had the same V10 these vans do.

You want to be in as high of gear as possible, as this operates the engine at the highest load which minimizes pumping losses.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:11 PM
REDOVAL
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Tom
Just wanted to clarify, engine efficiency at low load is horrible, and that doesn't get better with higher RPMs. Ideally you want the engine operating as close to maximum load as possible, which requires low RPMs unless you're accelerating.

I did some playing around with fuel economy with my ScanGauge a few years ago. Pulling my enclosed trailer I went from about 9 MPG in top gear to 7 MPG in 3rd at 62 MPH. This was in my Excursion that had the same V10 these vans do.

You want to be in as high of gear as possible, as this operates the engine at the highest load which minimizes pumping losses.

The Excursion engine and the van engine are mostly the same, but the tuning is only just similar to manage engine heat and cooling capabilities. Typically you are correct, but running these engines at a higher load in top gear kills any and all performance characteristics. My van will pull steep grades in OD with the tuner, but not anywhere near as comfortable as a lower gear at higher RPM closer to peak torque. I don't think I have ever seen higher than about 3500 rpm in my van during towing or normal operation.

My opinions only apply to the V10 engines though. My experience with the V8s suggests they are tuned pretty well from the factory and perform as one would expect. The V10s were intended for heavy load and motorhome use and suffer when unloaded (mis-applied). I love the power though compared to the V8s vans!

Scott

Old 11-11-2015, 05:25 PM
NCMODELA
Freshman User
Most of my issue is that this is what my wife drives around town. Maybe 600 miles a month. So it really sees only in town mileage which is where it hurts the most. I can handle 15 hwy because we don't do it a ton.

That's weird your numbers are the opposite of mine. I'm 10 city, 14 hwy and 7.5 towing 6.5k trailer.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:39 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
City mileage is hugely variable. Everyone's driving is different, and the conditions can vary widely. One area could have six stop lights in a mile, and another only three.

Each time you stop your engine needs to burn the fuel to get the van going again. Speeds matter too, generally lower speeds are less efficient because the torque converter is unlocked more and you're in lower gears. So unless conditions and driving habits are identical you can't compare city mileage.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:49 PM
NCMODELA
Freshman User
So is it better to speed up quickly to get the convertor to lock?

Old 11-11-2015, 06:07 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
So is it better to speed up quickly to get the convertor to lock?
I believe so. The engine is more efficient when it's working hard, and you get to the higher gears faster.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:57 PM
klinquist
Junior User
Huh.
I've got a 2003 V10, 3.73, 285/65/16 tires (almost 33"). With cruise control on 70mph, I get 14.4mpg.

At 55mph, I've seen nearly 16.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:59 PM
twigsV10
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom

I completely agree with this on a manual transmission but have found there is a sweet spot for how much throttle on acceleration improves MPG's with an automatic transmission.... With a manual transmission keeping it in the highest gear that still gains speed at a reasonable RPM is the most efficient, automatics very greatly depending on the vehicle, I think from torque converter slip and engine RPM efficiencies... you have to experiment on many tanks of gas to find the sweet spot in how hard to use the throttle.
My wife says I have a heavy foot but the Lie-o-meter always improves several miles per gallon after I drive her/our Expedition.

Quick Reply: 5 star tune v10 mpg improvements