2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

A New Super Duty Engine is Coming...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 12:51 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ram offers the choice of a Manual 6 spd transmission, Ford does not
On our F650/F750 2% of the units produced were manual. No one wanted them. Sure, I want them, and my F550 is manual but its 15 years old and I got it cheap. I sell new trucks and I can count on one hand the number of people I talk to in a year that won't buy an automatic.

The gas options will continue to gain in popularity. I have several fleet accounts that switched to the v10 because it does the job and they like the lower maintenance cost. No need for block heaters either here in PA for a gas motor. I tell folks, if you don't need the specs of the diesel, buy gas. Saving $7-8k right up front doesn't hurt either.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:52 PM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 113 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Where are they getting this big block from?

GM stopped manufacturing the big block 6 years ago, on December 18, 2009. And those were the units sold to Workhorse, made on a limited number of shifts per week (not per day), the demand was so low. GM actually discontinued the big block in the Chevy trucks and cab chassis models two years prior, way back in 2007.

So if the EMS provider is getting their entire new chassis from Chevy, they are getting a small block... which might make a difference in terms of the expectations in "liter-ship" that Ford is competing against with any new or existing gas engine implementation.
They probably have the L96 6.0L's in them. Our fleet loves that engine, it's very reliable and long-lasting. Runs good on CNG too.

The Big Block Chevy is back in production by PSI. Freightliner and Navistar are using it currently in propane versions, but gasoline and CNG versions are rumored to be available soon.

GM is supposed to be working on a 7.0L heavy duty LS V-8, rumored for 2017. We will see.......

Old 11-14-2015, 12:53 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
My brother owned a 5.0L in the Mustang (2014). I went through 3 engines before he sold it for a 2015 Chevrolet SS.

The 5.0L is not capable of the power, duty cycle, or heat that a TT would make. That being said, I still would be TT5.0 that was designed to be a twin turbo engine.

The diesel emissions systems are going to make it to gassers soon. The soot generated by the direct injection systems are going to make this legislation happen.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:03 PM
640 CI Aluminum FORD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dim Sum
My brother owned a 5.0L in the Mustang (2014). I went through 3 engines before he sold it for a 2015 Chevrolet SS.

The 5.0L is not capable of the power, duty cycle, or heat that a TT would make. That being said, I still would be TT5.0 that was designed to be a twin turbo engine.

The diesel emissions systems are going to make it to gassers soon. The soot generated by the direct injection systems are going to make this legislation happen.
You really can't compare an engine like that. Perhaps he had a lemon? Perhaps whoever installed it's forced induction system didn't do a quality job?...To many factors to say. There are 5.0L Coyote's out there pushing out well over 1000hp. I've heard many accounts of people running 600 and 700hp reliably out of them with factory internals. You've got to consider that pretty much every engine is (overbuilt) from the factory for reliability reasons. The 385hp and 387lb/ft of torque the current F-150 spec 5.0L makes is no where near it's limit. It's designed that way so it can be run hard, put up wet and provide another hard days work the next day.

Here's an example of a F-150 with the 5.0L that's putting out 948hp and 719lb/ft of torque.

Granted, with all of that said, The current big boy 3.5L Ecoboost is designed out of the factory to be a forced induction engine. I'm almost positive that if Ford make's a twin turbo V8 option for their trucks that it some way or another it'll be based of the 5.0L. I remember back in 2011 when these new engine's hit the road, I read an article that stated Ford has already designed the 5.0L Coyote block to accept direct injection and forced induction, so I think if Ford does do an (Ecoboost) V8 it'll be based off the 5.0L's architecture. It might not BE a 5.0L...It might be a downsized version of the 5.0L...A 4.0L or so.

Who knows.

Old 11-14-2015, 06:59 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,343 Likes on 1,751 Posts
Originally Posted by Frantz
On our F650/F750 2% of the units produced were manual. No one wanted them. Sure, I want them, and my F550 is manual but its 15 years old and I got it cheap. I sell new trucks and I can count on one hand the number of people I talk to in a year that won't buy an automatic.

The gas options will continue to gain in popularity. I have several fleet accounts that switched to the v10 because it does the job and they like the lower maintenance cost. No need for block heaters either here in PA for a gas motor. I tell folks, if you don't need the specs of the diesel, buy gas. Saving $7-8k right up front doesn't hurt either.

All very valid points.

The manual transmission availability probably shouldn't be on the list comparing different brand chassis cabs for fleets, especially under the CDL threshold of 26K GVWR. I occasionally assist a fleet who has to deal with a variety of drivers having different skill levels, including no manual transmission skills at all in this day and age. Replacing burnt clutches and stripped gears is expensive. Not to mention fender benders at the stop sign.

But some individual RV toting buyers can be insistent on manuals. Overlanding has gained leaps and bounds in popularity over the last 40 years, and the RV'rs who chose the foundation chassis for their rigs often compare the F-550 with the Ram 5500, because they seek a rugged factory built 4x4 (as opposed to an aftermarket drivetrain conversion of a Class B or C RV). Their application involves mounting a quality truck camper on top of a flat bed with boxes for tools, tires, and supplies, without the quarter to half million dollar cost of a pre built Expedition camper, typically based on the F-550 crew cab 4x4.

Whether pre built or cobbled together, these are one off retirement rigs, and their owners put a lot of thought into the selection of all the components, including the chassis itself. All the many articles of Gary Wescott, of Turtle Edition fame, provide a great example of the analysis emulated by followers of that dream of an overland expedition lifestyle.

What has been interesting is reading recent chronicles of the decision making process these guys are using to compare the Ram vs the Ford chassis cabs. And it will be interesting to see how the new Ford shifts those comparisons... from a platform as well as a powertrain point of view.

The point being... the buy buttons of these individuals might be different than that of fleets. I think the individual buyer will be more product and performance focused, while the fleet buyer will be value and cost focused... and less visibly... incentive and relationship focused.

By relationship, I mean a relationship with Commercial Fleet sales pros like you, Frantz. There used to be a fleet guy in my neck of the woods who had all the surrounding suburban cities sewn up. They bought Fords period. GM could have offered fuel cell space ships for $1,000 each, and the city buyers would pass them up to buy Fords from Bill Fell.

When we look at what fire departments and utility companies choose for their bucket and brush trucks, we cannot forget the decision influencers that are divorced from the merits of the product itself.

Old 11-15-2015, 11:29 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Where are they getting this big block from?
Originally Posted by Louisville Joe
They probably have the L96 6.0L's in them. Our fleet loves that engine, it's very reliable and long-lasting. Runs good on CNG too.
Shows you how little I pay attention to trucks wearing bowties! You're absolutely right... they're running the 6.0 gasser.

Still, the point holds... fire and EMS apparatus in general has been almost 100% diesel (save support vehicles, chief's rides, etc.) for quite a while. Due to the complexities, cost, poor tolerance to extended idle, and lack of reliability of the current generation of diesels (across all manufacturers), a lot more apparatus is going back to gas unless there is simply NO other alternative (pumpers, aerials, etc.)

Old 11-16-2015, 02:00 PM
New SD
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
There is a known issue with cooling in the 6.2L for the duty cycle required for the F450+ trucks. This is an internal Ford requirement that the 6.2L could not pass.
I'm curious what this 14,000 test is and why the 6.2L cannot pass it. Any information?

Old 11-16-2015, 02:01 PM
New SD
Freshman User
I should say I'm in the market for a new Super Duty and trying to do all the research I can on the 6.2L.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:14 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 433 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by New SD
I'm curious what this 14,000 test is and why the 6.2L cannot pass it. Any information?
I don't have the details, I just know a former Ford employee has stated that there are certain internal tests that engines have to pass. The one in particular was a full-throttle governed test that the 6.2L did not pass due to cooling issues. It's not an issue in the Super Duty pickups (hence, the 6.2L is offered there), but it is in the chassis cabs and F450+ trucks.

The 6.2L has been a very well received and reliable engine in the Super Duty trucks, so I don't think you have any worries. Depending on the upgrades for the 6.2L for '17, I'm considering it for my next truck.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:26 PM
New SD
Freshman User
I'm certainly considering the 6.2L. I currently have a V10, which I love and hate to part with, but I need more room than a regular cab. I sure wish the V10 was still an option...... The 6.2L just lacks a little power from the V10.

Old 11-16-2015, 02:37 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
I'm certainly considering the 6.2L. I currently have a V10, which I love and hate to part with, but I need more room than a regular cab. I sure wish the V10 was still an option...... The 6.2L just lacks a little power from the V10.
From all of the reports that I have read, the 6.2L pulls better than the V10 while getting better fuel economy. Just don't be afraid to put your foot into it and let her scream!

Old 11-16-2015, 03:22 PM
New SD
Freshman User
I understand better fuel economy, but the V10 has 52 foot pounds more torque. Seems like at least in the beginning, the V10 would out pull the 6.2L. If the V10 was still offered, it would be an easy choice. It sounds like the 6.2 with 4.30 gears does pretty decent, but good luck finding one to test drive.

I'm really curious about the increased power levels that Ford has said the 2017 will have. It seems like both the gas and diesel will get a bump. I'm just curious if the 6.2L will get a token bump, 5-10 HP and torque, or if it'll be substantial (20ish plus).

Old 11-16-2015, 04:37 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
I understand better fuel economy, but the V10 has 52 foot pounds more torque. Seems like at least in the beginning, the V10 would out pull the 6.2L. If the V10 was still offered, it would be an easy choice. It sounds like the 6.2 with 4.30 gears does pretty decent, but good luck finding one to test drive.
I hear ya, but I think it's just that the top end of the 6.2L is much better than the V10 that it just tows better throughout the rev range. I would imagine that the 6 speed helps the 6.2L out too.

I'm really curious about the increased power levels that Ford has said the 2017 will have. It seems like both the gas and diesel will get a bump. I'm just curious if the 6.2L will get a token bump, 5-10 HP and torque, or if it'll be substantial (20ish plus).
Ditto. I'm very interested in that myself. I'm betting Ford will find another 50 HP and 50 ft-lbs somewhere, along with maybe an extra valve for each cylinder.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:08 PM
New SD
Freshman User
If Ford adds 50 and 50, it might makes me reconsider my issues with first model year of a major update. Normally, that's something I would avoid, but 435 HP and 455 torque would be really intriguing.

I wonder when Ford will make that announcement?????

Old 11-16-2015, 09:37 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
If Ford adds 50 and 50, it might makes me reconsider my issues with first model year of a major update. Normally, that's something I would avoid, but 435 HP and 455 torque would be really intriguing.

I wonder when Ford will make that announcement?????
We probably won't know anything concrete until Q3 2016 would be my guess.

Quick Reply: A New Super Duty Engine is Coming...