6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

So here's my trouble.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 03:11 PM
Herb Brooks
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Vinford
So I guess the 10G quote Ive got isn't out of line...................
Hard to say have to compare quote to quote I suppose. I do believe the cost of parts is artificially elevated due to no other alternative. I usually have no problem with labor, everyone needs to eat. I'm thinking mine was quoted flat rate, never worked in a flat rate shop but my understanding is if the tech beats FR then that is his bonus. Not sure but good for him if it is. From my side today I think a bidding war is in order.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:36 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Not good Herb, just read through and was hoping it wouldn't come to this. Hope your insurance company takes care of you!

Old 11-22-2015, 05:14 PM
Herb Brooks
Senior User

Thanks. My prayer as well.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:55 AM
Herb Brooks
Senior User

State Farm said no. No evidence of "sudden of fuel induced failure", so I guess it just wore out in 27 seconds. But I can't blame State Farm. In my research it seams to be between 60 and 100k these things fail. Ford says poor fuel, insurance says wear and tear, want my semi educated hypothesis? Air inclusion. Here is why, as the fuel is moved through the system and returned to tank, it picks up small air bubbles that do not have enough time to dissipate in the tank. When the fuel is drawn back up these tiny bubbles burst in the hpfp. Eroding the pump internals. Otherwise know as cavitation in the hydraulic world. When this erosion reaches a certain point the pump shells out and causes the symptoms and failures we are oh so familiar with. Now time for Ford to prove me wrong. The gauntlet has been thrown Ford up to you to disprove me. I'm going to retrieve the truck from the dealer on Friday. Tear it down after the first of the year and look it over.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:22 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Some guys put Fuel Air Separation Systems on their trucks. Perhaps that's not a bad idea.

Old 12-01-2015, 06:54 PM
Tofan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Herb Brooks
State Farm said no. No evidence of "sudden of fuel induced failure", so I guess it just wore out in 27 seconds. But I can't blame State Farm. In my research it seams to be between 60 and 100k these things fail. Ford says poor fuel, insurance says wear and tear, want my semi educated hypothesis? Air inclusion. Here is why, as the fuel is moved through the system and returned to tank, it picks up small air bubbles that do not have enough time to dissipate in the tank. When the fuel is drawn back up these tiny bubbles burst in the hpfp. Eroding the pump internals. Otherwise know as cavitation in the hydraulic world. When this erosion reaches a certain point the pump shells out and causes the symptoms and failures we are oh so familiar with. Now time for Ford to prove me wrong. The gauntlet has been thrown Ford up to you to disprove me. I'm going to retrieve the truck from the dealer on Friday. Tear it down after the first of the year and look it over.

I would keep fighting them and call the fuel station to see what they get from their tanks. Obviously more fuel as been added by now, but we just had a guy dealing with this and after the first "No" from his insurance company, they eventually covered it.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Herb Brooks
Senior User

Originally Posted by Tofan
I would keep fighting them and call the fuel station to see what they get from their tanks. Obviously more fuel as been added by now, but we just had a guy dealing with this and after the first "No" from his insurance company, they eventually covered it.
That's what the service writer said this evening when I stopped in to tell him I was going to pick the truck up. It took them two weeks to investigate and even sent a guy to the station to check their tanks. But I will stop by my agents office tomorrrow and see what he says. He may sell their product, but he works for me, don't he? Home owners is up for renewal as well. No one likes to loose a couple a grand a year In business.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:06 PM
Herb Brooks
Senior User

Agent agrees, State Farm should honor claim. He's working it, but is out for a bit due to surgery. I'll post with news when there is some.
I thank you all for your kindness and concern over this. Still good folks in the world.
Don't forget the reason for the season. Jesus. Merry Christmas Ya'll

Old 12-09-2015, 12:29 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Thanks for the update Herb! Hopefully your agent has some luck with this.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:28 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hpfp failures are always hard ones...

Maybe I missed it but did you have motorcraft filters in at the time of failure? The problem with using insurance to cover is its almost impossible to 100% prove that the water came from your last fill. The water damage can and often does happen over time. Damage to the hpfp occurs faster and faster the more it wears away. The only way insurance won't fight you on this is if they find DEF or Gas in tanks where you filled up.

And if you did not in fact have Ford filters in at the time of failure it may be another reason for Insurance to deny the claim. Remember, Ford will tell them that if you had the proper filters in it wouldn't have happened.

NOWWWWWW... If you had the proper filters in (and only changed because you thought clogged filters were the problem) and have maintenance records... You definitely have a leg to stand on, especially if you know all the stations where your last few tanks came from. Another idea too is to get the bank involved(if you have a loan).

Please let us know how this turns out with insurance! I have fingers crossed for you

Old 12-10-2015, 08:15 PM
Herb Brooks
Senior User

NOWWWWWW... If you had the proper filters in (and only changed because you thought clogged filters were the problem) and have maintenance records... You definitely have a leg to stand on, especially if you know all the stations where your last few tanks came from. Another idea too is to get the bank involved(if you have a loan).
Except for written records this is true. I don't understand what help the Bank could be, The Bank I use has financed every truck I have owned since the mid 90's so I have a very good relationship with them. They know my name and I know theirs. If I knew they could help or had sway with the insurance company I would certainly enlist their aid. Could you please expand you remark.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:27 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Herb Brooks
I don't understand what help the Bank could be, The Bank I use has financed every truck I have owned since the mid 90's so I have a very good relationship with them. They know my name and I know theirs. If I knew they could help or had sway with the insurance company I would certainly enlist their aid. Could you please expand you remark.
I've heard lots of folks suggest that over the years, and I think it's a terrible idea. The idea that a bank will step in on your behalf to protect their interests is a fairy tale; you stop paying the note they take the truck. They're not in the insurance or repair business.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:41 PM
Herb Brooks
Senior User

My thoughts as well. It was tough the other day writing that check. But you do what you got to do. A good relationship is invaluable in today's world. What ever the outcome it ain't the banks fault. They will be paid. Times are tough but my word is tougher. If push comes to shove I have a shop and some skill. Truck will get repaired one way or another.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:57 PM
CrazySob
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are right... But you would be surprised these days. It isn't an uncommon occurrence for people to abandon "problem" trucks and just take the credit hit. It leaves the bank with a truck that needs a lot of cash dumped into it if they wan't to recoup any of their losses.

It doesn't work very often, but I know it has. It is just the same as the insurance... Doesn't always work out, but if you don't try..........

$6000-$8000 for a fuel system is insane when it was the stations fault...

Old 12-11-2015, 10:47 PM
Vinford
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I owe $30G on mine and it needs $10-$12G worth of work and its worth maybe $20g.

Quick Reply: So here's my trouble.