6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

HowTo Do a Proper Hot Flush ~5R110W

Old 11-08-2015, 10:39 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
HowTo Do a Proper Hot Flush ~5R110W

I am not sure if this
has been posted in this forum.

This guy uses a Hot Flush transmission machine and it takes less than 10 minutes. Ford told me it takes them 2 hours to do the same thing this guy does in minutes.

I called the number listed on the machine and there was no answer.

If you live in MO, you can drive to Grain Valley Super Duty Service. I live in California, but will contact and inquire about the price.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:46 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
I would say that most of the regulars on this forum know who SuperDutyService is. Anthony goes by run6.0run and runs a GREAT shop with a great reputation. I'm sure he'd be glad to answer any questions you have. Also, hot flush machines at dealerships are pretty rare as far as we've been able to determine.

Old 11-09-2015, 08:11 AM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Tim,

I will call Anthony today. Thanks

Old 11-09-2015, 09:41 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Originally Posted by coolfeet
Tim,

I will call Anthony today. Thanks
He's a busy fellow as an owner/operator/mechanic/partsman--LOL. Him and his wife are GREAT folks for sure.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:47 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,571 Likes on 1,049 Posts
Ford told me it takes them 2 hours to do the same thing this guy does in minutes.
Ford didn't tell you that. A dealer told you that. And anyone that needs two hours to do this doesn't know what they are doing. They are incompetent.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:50 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree with Mark,

Even up here in the rust belt that job doenst take that long. I have the same machine as FORD dealers have and its not a heated machine.

Sarge

Old 11-09-2015, 10:21 AM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
Ford didn't tell you that. A dealer told you that. And anyone that needs two hours to do this doesn't know what they are doing. They are incompetent.
It was the Ford mechanic at the dealership. He said that he had to flush the transmission system in sections. I know that there is a transmission cooler. Is this flushed separate from the transmission?

The service writer would not commit to a price nor would the mechanic. I got 3 separate quotes from The Ford Store in San Leandro, Ca.

I called Serramonte Ford in Colma, CA and they quoted me at $149 ($10 extra for the large van) for a fluid exchange. The service writer said it was not a heated flush exchange, but he assured me that it will exchange all the fluid. I don't believe this will get most of the fluid out as the thermostat will not open even thought the vehicle is running. I told him the manual calls for the use of a special machine.

He said that I was the first person that has ever asked for a heated fluid exchange. I told him I have the Ford shop manuals and the procedure calls for the heated machine. I think I pissed off another service writer. He will probably circulate my number with network dealers to avoid answering anything further about heated flushes.

I did some more calling and found a local transmission shop that will drain the cooler, torque converter, and pan for $289 including 18 quarts Mercon LV. While not a heated flush, it will get most of the fluid out. This shop said they will install the new 2008 pan and filter for me at not additional labor cost.

I called another shop advertising a transmission flush on Craigslist and he said he uses a machine connected to the transmission oil cooler inlet and outlet and that the pressure will open the thermostat. If this is true, the Tooth Fairy, Santa Clause, and the Easter Bunny are coming to my home for a beer this weekend.

With so many different methods from different shops including Ford dealerships, I am looking at doing this myself by flushing it 3 times at a cost of $168. After the first 3 drain and fills, I can change the fluid and pan filter every 20k-30k miles.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:03 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

It was the Ford mechanic at the dealership. He said that he had to flush the transmission system in sections. I know that there is a transmission cooler. Is this flushed separate from the transmission?

The service writer would not commit to a price nor would the mechanic. I got 3 separate quotes from The Ford Store in San Leandro, Ca.

I called Serramonte Ford in Colma, CA and they quoted me at $149 ($10 extra for the large van) for a fluid exchange. The service writer said it was not a heated flush exchange, but he assured me that it will exchange all the fluid. I don't believe this will get most of the fluid out as the thermostat will not open even thought the vehicle is running.

He said that I was the first person that has ever asked for a heated fluid exchange. I told him I have the Ford shop manuals and the procedure calls for the heated machine. I think I pissed off another service writer. They will probably circulate my number with network dealers to avoid answering anything further about heated flushes.

I did some more calling and found a local transmission shop that will drain the cooler, torque converter, and pan for $289 including 18 quarts Mercon LV. While not a heated flush, it will get most of the fluid out. I was looking at doing this myself by flushing it 3 times at a cost of $168. This shop said they will install the new 2008 pan and filter for me at not additional labor cost.

I called another shop advertising a transmission flush on Craigslist and he said he uses a machine connected to the transmission oil cooler inlet and outlet and that the pressure will open the thermostat. If this is true, the Tooth Fairy, Santa Clause, and the Easter Bunny are coming to my home for a beer this weekend.
The torque converter has no drain plug so that will be a good trick.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:19 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
The torque converter has no drain plug so that will be a good trick.
Are you saying the pressurized flush machine or manually draining and filling the system 3 times is a good trick to get most of the fluid out?

The guy with the transmission flushing machine said the pressure will open the thermostat. He charges $150 just for the labor.

Old 11-09-2015, 01:33 PM
Per4mance
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think so, sounds like BS to me. Better get the hip boots out!

Old 11-09-2015, 01:40 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Per4mance
I don't think so, sounds like BS to me. Better get the hip boots out!
I think he employs super heroes like Batman and Captain America. Spyderman quit last week.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:11 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Sarge261
I have the same machine as FORD dealers have and its not a heated machine.
Ford dealers are SUPPOSED to have a heated flush machine. Most do not.
It was the Ford mechanic at the dealership.
That's a mechanic at a dealer. A dealer is not Ford Motor Company.

He said that he had to flush the transmission system in sections. I know that there is a transmission cooler. Is this flushed separate from the transmission?
I can't tell if he's lying or just doesn't know what he's doing.

I did some more calling and found a local transmission shop that will drain the cooler, torque converter, and pan for $289 including 18 quarts Mercon LV.
Ask them how they will drain the converter. There is no drain plug.

There are two ways it could be done. One is with a heated flush machine. The other is to remove the trans from the truck, take the converter out of the trans, and drain the fluid from it.
After the first 3 drain and fills, I can change the fluid and pan filter every 20k-30k miles.
Unless you have the 2008+ updated filter and pan it's a waste of money to change the filter in the pan.

Are you saying the pressurized flush machine or manually draining and filling the system 3 times is a good trick to get most of the fluid out?
I keep hearing people talk about a pressurized flush machine, but I've never been able to find one. I've looked in many shops and I've searched online. Is there really such a thing as a pressurized flush machine? I don't think it could work. Anyone that understands the flow path of a transmission knows it couldn't work.

The guy with the transmission flushing machine said the pressure will open the thermostat. He charges $150 just for the labor.
Here is another one where I can't tell if he's lying or just doesn't know anything about transmissions.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:12 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks again Mark! I think these guys at shops just don't know.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:30 PM
John Irwin
Elder User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went to 2 Ford dealerships and asked if they had hot flush machines, and neither one of the service writers (both female) knew what I was talking about... they had to go ask a tech. Neither one did. Nobody around here has one.
So Mark, why weren't the converters equipped with a drain plug? I thought of installing one in mine when I had the engine out, but remembered my extended history of having great ideas go bad, and didn't.

Old 11-09-2015, 07:25 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Cost. That's the only reason. The bean counters wouldn't pop for the cost of drilling the hole in the converter, tapping the hole, buying the drain plug, and installing the drain plug.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HowTo Do a Proper Hot Flush ~5R110W