1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Crew cab body swap?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 06:48 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
I wouldn't cut ANYTHING. Just a 3" body lift and be done with it

Old 11-13-2015, 06:58 AM
Josh Picard
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
I wouldn't cut ANYTHING. Just a 3" body lift and be done with it
I do not want a body lift

Old 11-13-2015, 07:49 AM
Lowpala
Senior User
Channeling the cab would most likely be the safest route. If you can manage to save your original floor board you may be able to reuse the factory seat mounts, just have the seat sit a little higher than normal. Or, cut down the mounts that attach to the seat and have it sit lower to the floor.

Adjusting the frame, best would be to extend it before the riser like the above poster stated, but then you are getting into some expenses, much more than notching the frame. Keeping everything aligned and square would be crucial. Extending fuel, brake lines and electrical.

Notching the frame would work fine, you would want to box in the area that is notched to reinforce it and add what you take from the top of the frame to the bottom, move any cross members down as well. Move the fuel tank back if necessary.

You said you don't want a body lift so that takes care of that. Though they do make brake line extensions specifically for body lifts.

Anyway you go about it will work. If it was me I'd notch the frame, most cost effective and will not open up a new can of worms like a body lift or channeling the cab.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:02 AM
Josh Picard
Junior User
What is a good price for a decent crew cab with interior?

Old 11-13-2015, 09:56 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Lowpala
.... Though they do make brake line extensions specifically for body lifts.

Seriously? Stop giving advice. There is no need for different brake lines when putting body lift on

Old 11-13-2015, 10:13 PM
Josh Picard
Junior User
Seriously? Stop giving advice. There is no need for different brake lines when putting body lift on
You say stop giving advice. perhaps take your own advice. Lowpala is giving me options of what i want. i understand that a body lift might seem like the easiest way out, but i do not want a body lift.

Old 11-14-2015, 12:54 AM
Lowpala
Senior User
Dang guy.. mad? I've done a body lift before and we definitley had to buy the extended brake lines because the factory lines were about to be pulled apart. Maybe the fords are different but typically that's what needs to be done. I know where this guy is coming from wanting to use what he has, everyone here is saying no no no just buy a new truck. C'mon.. really? No need to get sensitive, just sharing what I know and my experiences. I've been working with metal my entire life, not pulling crap from my *** here.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:36 AM
Josh Picard
Junior User
Dang guy.. mad? I've done a body lift before and we definitley had to buy the extended brake lines because the factory lines were about to be pulled apart. Maybe the fords are different but typically that's what needs to be done. I know where this guy is coming from wanting to use what he has, everyone here is saying no no no just buy a new truck. C'mon.. really? No need to get sensitive, just sharing what I know and my experiences. I've been working with metal my entire life, not pulling crap from my *** here.
Im sorry if i seem mad im just confused as to why diesel_brad is contradicting you... brake line extensions may or may not be needed depending on the truck, as some trucks will have minor differences, or depending on the body lift. However, i do not want a body lift which is why i dont understand why diesel_brad replied like that. Thank you all for your help so far.

Old 11-14-2015, 10:31 AM
Lowpala
Senior User
I was talking about the diesel Brad dude, didn't get why he making such a fuss. Oh well. Any luck sourcing a cab?

Old 11-14-2015, 10:35 AM
Josh Picard
Junior User
I was talking about the diesel Brad dude, didn't get why he making such a fuss. Oh well. Any luck sourcing a cab?
Yes i found a complete cab with interior from a obs style truck. The guy said $800. Seems like a decent price for something that has little surface rust. I will get it soon when i have the money.

Does anyone know what is needed to mount a bullnose front clip to a 92+ body?

Old 11-14-2015, 11:30 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Brake lines are NOT needed for ANY body lift. PERIOD

Suspension lifts, yes. Body lift NO.

Like I said, stop giving "advice" when you dont know what you are talking about

You act as though the brake lines go Staright from the master cylinder to the frame. They do NOT. They have coils built in to them to allow for body/frame movement and vibration resistance

Old 11-14-2015, 11:53 AM
Lowpala
Senior User

You act as though the brake lines go Staright from the master cylinder to the frame. They do NOT. They have coils built in to them to allow for body/frame movement and vibration resistance
It's not that serious, calm yourself. I realize the the brake tubing has plenty of slack in it. The truck I did a body lift on (only one I've ever done btw) did not have enough slack in the rubber lines to the calipers. Like I said, it wasn't a Ford either. Regardless he doesn't want a body lift so how bout instead of crying you add something relevant to the thread. I'm wrong, you are right. Feel better?

Old 11-14-2015, 11:54 AM
Josh Picard
Junior User

Who cares?!?! I dont want a bloody body lift so unless you have any HELPFUL suggestions as to what I want to Do, please dont comment. its getting quite annoying.

Old 11-14-2015, 03:23 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Picard
Yes i found a complete cab with interior from a obs style truck. The guy said $800. Seems like a decent price for something that has little surface rust. I will get it soon when i have the money.

Does anyone know what is needed to mount a bullnose front clip to a 92+ body?
From what I remember reading it's not too bad. I think you have to do some modifications to where the fenders attach to the cab, but it's been done before.

But also from what I remember reading, the dash will be the problem. I don't think the '86 dash will go into the '92-'97 cab very easily. And I don't think the '86 wiring will go to the '92 - '97 dash very easily either. So I don't know which dash would be easier to use. But I'm only trying to remember what I've read, so someone with more experience can probably help you out better.

Old 11-14-2015, 04:05 PM
Josh Picard
Junior User
Were there non turbo idi motors from 92-97? If so then id need a dash/instrument panel from one of those.

Quick Reply: Crew cab body swap?